Goodbye P3D! Hello FSX+Steve's Dx10 fixer+latest Nvidia

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Goodbye P3D! Hello FSX+Steve's Dx10 fixer+latest Nvidia

Post by Alan_A »

DeskPilot518 wrote:
12 FPS in FSX/DX10? That does not seam possible with your system. With which plane/scenery combo?
Your system is overclocked higher than mine with the GTX 780 ti. I get a descent 30 fps locked with the NGX along the entire
East Coast with FTX Global, REX 4, and airports such as Flight Beams KIAD. The only place I really take a hit is the really dense ORBX KJAC.
(To many trees during the summer :? ). But for all ORBX regions, even with the NGX, I am fine. Lowering the GA traffic to nill when flying liners really
helps though. (Along with boat traffic).

I would just like to suggest that it sounds like something is not configured properly in your FSX. I would try MATT Davies tutorials, they worked wonders for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAjqomj6qz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrObxJaJD8

B.
Thanks for the links, I'll have a look. That said, my system is actually pretty well tuned. The "Nick N tuning" in my sig refers to Nick Needham over at Simforums - I've set up three FSX computers using his guidelines, which include making changes deep inside Windows, and I've gotten excellent results. Even so, New York City is a limiting factor - I'm not talking about operating an NGX at altitude or into KJFK, I'm talking about flying the Hudson Corridor VFR. In that setting I might see 15 or 16 fps if the weather cooperates.

But rather than turn this into a settings guide or an FSX vs. P3D debate (always interesting but there are plenty of those), I think it's more important to say that your post includes some really good information about your preferred style of flying and also about your settings in detail. Too often we have these discussions and forget to mention that, for example, we like GA or complex airliners, we turn off traffic or we insist on a lot of it. we clear the weather or we like full overcast... or we like the Hudson Corridor as opposed to flying out in eastern Long Island, where I can easily see frames in the 60s or higher if I run unlocked. So it's hard to account for all the "use cases" or compare apples to apples.

In general, I get smoother performance in more places from P3D. But I got excellent performance in many places in FSX. It's just my bad luck that my home territory is famous as a place where framerates go to die.

It's nice that we have so many choices and that if one program or suite of settings doesn't work for us, another probably will.

Enjoy!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Virtual slap with a kipper coming your way Paul lol :mrgreen:
Excellent, I shall look forward to that. :P

Lewis, just out of interest - have you, and anyone else here who uses Steve's DX10 fixer, found anything that is still unfixable, or an add-on which refuses to behave in DX10 ? For example, one of the things I remember from trying out FSX in DX10 preview mode was a flickering effect round the Millenium Dome in Horizon Sim's VFR London. I tried some of Steve's early fixes, to no avail.

This drift back to FSX & DX10 fixer, by people who've bought P3Dv2 and tried it out, is significant.

Shousa
Senior Airman

Post by Shousa »

Yes I have just found that out, after I did it I then stumbled onto the Sim Outhouse DX10 forum and found "Ohh that is where everyone is!!"

Been a regular for years and I never noticed it.

Thought everyone had given up there for a while but nope they are there.

The P3D forum on there is DEAD.

I am never going back to P3D that's for sure. I am getting fantastic fun out of FSX now, it's like falling in love all over again!!

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

I am not sure I understand this.

Do I have to manually do all the tweaks? I got the demo download. I am not very good with tweaking.

Second question. If I buy the commercial version, do I still have to manually do the tweaks?

Thanks.

JDW

Rimshot
Senior Airman

Post by Rimshot »

Hmmm...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/444783-purchase/

Is it available anywhere else?
Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

DeskPilot518
Senior Airman

Post by DeskPilot518 »

Rarebear wrote:I am not sure I understand this.

Do I have to manually do all the tweaks? I got the demo download. I am not very good with tweaking.

Second question. If I buy the commercial version, do I still have to manually do the tweaks?

Thanks.

JDW
With the commercial version you have to tweak Nvida Inspector (For Nvida cards), FSX.CFG, and Steve's DX10 fixer.
It is not difficult.
If you follow this video, everything should be very clear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrObxJaJD8

B.
My blog!
DeskPilot's Flight Sim Blog:
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

The package comes with some default profile configurations. The SteveFX profile is the one I ended up using. I double checked all the variables, and it was set up the way I liked, so I just kept it.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Goodbye P3D! Hello FSX+Steve's Dx10 fixer+latest Nvidia

Post by Jacques »

Yeah, the SteveFX DX10 fixer on FlightsimStore is gone! I was just going to purchase the utility this morning and it is nowhere to be found. I hope this isn't the first action of the new license holder. On the brighter side, maybe a giant like aerosoft purchased the rights from Steve and are planning a re-release under their own brand? Just some thoughts.

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jacques on 20 Jun 2014, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Not quite sure where all this fuss is about P3Dv2.2 being broken is? Sure there are people whining about it, you're always gonna get whiners, but mostly I find that people that have unrealistic expectations. They bang all the sliders to max or near and wonder why they have problems. They're prepared to spend hours reaserching and tweaking FSX, but want P3D to work out of the box.

I'm sure I don't need to remind folks that people will often write on forums about their bad experience, but far fewer will make a new post to say I've got 99 problems, but P3Dv2.2 ain't one of 'em. Saying all you see is people saying how bad it is, is not representative.

Me? I love P3Dv2.2. It works flawlessly and is buttery smooth - and I run on an old i5 750 @3.4ghz.
ImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

SouthPawPaul wrote:Not quite sure where all this fuss is about P3Dv2.2 being broken is? Sure there are people whining about it, you're always gonna get whiners, but mostly I find that people that have unrealistic expectations. They bang all the sliders to max or near and wonder why they have problems. They're prepared to spend hours reaserching and tweaking FSX, but want P3D to work out of the box.

I'm sure I don't need to remind folks that people will often write on forums about their bad experience, but far fewer will make a new post to say I've got 99 problems, but P3Dv2.2 ain't one of 'em. Saying all you see is people saying how bad it is, is not representative.

Me? I love P3Dv2.2. It works flawlessly and is buttery smooth - and I run on an old i5 750 @3.4ghz.
Not that I have any reason to argue one way or another (I've had both Steve's DX10 fixer and P3Dv2.2 for some time, the DX10 for longer - I know by now how they work for me). But I think that these are expected phenomena, similar to writings about the DX10 being just an incomplete hack with no real performance benefits for well-tuned systems and installations (whatever they were!) when the DX10 was a new thing spreading. :)

-Esa

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I also have no reason to argue one way or another. Comments were made in this thread that P3D communities were dead suggesting that there's some mass exodus from the platform. I don't believe that is true and felt I wanted to add my two pence worth :)

My philosophy is; use whatever works for you and gives you the most pleasure. Don't let perceived apathy/enthusiasm dictate your path, instead take it with a pinch of salt and make your own choice.
ImageImageImage

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Agree completely with "whatever works."

I was thinking a little more about my DX10 experience and remembered (as I should have done earlier in this thread) what my issue was - it performed beautifully for me with the exception that it couldn't handle cloudcover and ground to a near-halt in anything past moderate cloud coverage. I tried all the recommended tweaks without success and finally went back to DX9. It's possible that my issues had something to do with my Nick Needham tuning - not sure, but clearly others were getting good results and I wasn't, and my setup was one of the differences. At the end of the day I didn't have time for lots of testing and just gave up. One of the attractions of P3D for me is that it requires far less tweaking. But I'm glad others are doing well with DX10 in FSX. Maybe I'll find my way back to it on some future system.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Apparently SteveFX DX10 Scenery Fixer has been removed from the FlightSim Store. According to his blog, this is the reason:
I have just stopped selling any new copies for the time being, that is all that has happened. You can still download if you have purchased. I felt that too many people have been buying it recently without trying dx10 out first leading to a mismatch in their expectations ( and an increase in support calls)
http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/
ImageImage
ImageImage

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

CodyValkyrie wrote:Apparently SteveFX DX10 Scenery Fixer has been removed from the FlightSim Store. According to his blog, this is the reason:
I have just stopped selling any new copies for the time being, that is all that has happened. You can still download if you have purchased. I felt that too many people have been buying it recently without trying dx10 out first leading to a mismatch in their expectations ( and an increase in support calls)
http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/
Well that leaves the whole discussion academic, at least for me. I suppose you have to sympathize with Steve - when someone comes up with a popular add-on, they often create a rod for their own back in terms of support. I often wince at seeing the same old questions surface on the Orbx forums from people who wont read manuals, FAQs or do even the most basic of searches.

Okay, off to do battle with P3D, shader caches, configs and drivers. Wouldn't want to be thought of as a 'whiner' would I. :roll:

Shousa
Senior Airman

Post by Shousa »

Too late for me it seems lol!

"You labeled me
I'll label you
So I dub thee "Unforgiven"

- Metallica

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”