Transatlantic trip in single engine (Piper Cherokee)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Transatlantic trip in single engine (Piper Cherokee)

Post by Medtner »

Hi all,

I have had the wish for a long while that when the Cherokee was released that I would fly it from A2A's home base (Robertson Field?) to my home airport, Kjevik (ENCN) in Norway.
Since release I've been flying patterns and some back and forth between Robertson Field and Simsbury to get to know the airplane (getting "checked out" in the new plane) - only got a few hours on it yet, so I'm not ready to go far yet.

I am however ready to start planning the trip across the pond.
Anyone with some experience in crossing the Atlantic with a single engine?
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Re: Transatlantic trip in single engine (Piper Cherokee)

Post by Aymi »

B-377 wanted to do it single-engine style in a middle of a transatlantic flight.

Beside that, no experience :P

It should be a challenge to reach refueling airports, considering the relative small range of the PA-28.
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Haha. How did that trip go, with only one engine left on the Strat?

I thought that I'd be alone, and have some weight (passenger) to simulate a fuel drum. That is unless I find a clever flight plan so that standard fuel tanks would be enough.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Erik,

When the A2A Cub came out, figuring out how to cross the Atlantic was one the first challenges I put it through. :)

The early part of this story shows the route I took. I should have the actual airport list up in a few moments.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... rld+flight

Added:
This part of the log covers the Atlantic crossing stops.

The Cherokee would make for a great round the world travel adventure. :)
FAC257

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

I'm about to cross the atlantic in the 172, my route is as follows:

BGKK - BIKF - BIEG - EKVG - EGPE
ImageImage
ImageImage

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

You know that would be interesting if A2A could create a ferry fuel bladder mod for the Cherokee/172 ala the B-17
http://www.turtlepac.com/en/photo-galle ... tanks.html

Of course we might be crazy to sit in a Cherokee with ferry tank range..that would be a LOOOOONG flight... :mrgreen:
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

I flew the C172 I bought in FSE west across the Atlantic. Flew up to BGGH before flying to Canada as I wanted to pick up assignments for each flight. I didn't have GPS in the plane and had to rely on VOR and ADF, plus a little dead reckoning for the dead zones.

EGPM → EKVG
EKVG → BIHN
BIVM → BIKF
BGKK → BGBW
BGBW → BGGH
BGGH → CYFB

BIHN and BGKK both had terrible visibility and high winds. BIHN took me about 30 minutes to finally find the runway and land. Even with a runway aligned NDB, the crosswind component made approaching very hard, and the headwind made timing the descent from the NDB as good as a guess. my first attempt missed the runway by less than half a mile but I still didn't spot it. My second attempt was worse. Returning to the NDB for a third try I spotted the runway lights on my left and was able to make a landing (a very poor one). BGKK also required an NDB approach but conditions were less severe and I made it in first time.

So, make sure you have reserves for the end of those long flights. Not just extra fuel but also make sure you aren't fatigued. It was so tempting to just land on the first patch of open dirt in those terrible conditions, but I persevered. Fuel pressures and fatigue would not have helped.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Transatlantic ferry routes:-

http://220kts.com/ferry-flights/atlanti ... outes.html

The second one would suit the C172 and Cherokee, I think.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great post Paul thanks for the link. Have any of you chaps see the tv series dangerous flights? It's about aircraft ferry pilots and although it's got the usual over dramatisation of some parts it is IMO a must watch for aeroplane fans.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Paul K wrote:Transatlantic ferry routes:-

http://220kts.com/ferry-flights/atlanti ... outes.html

The second one would suit the C172 and Cherokee, I think.
Great info every one. I was a little worried about the leg from Goose Bay over to Greenland. I see this one above is probably better. I'm fully able to get around 800nm range, as I'm alone in the plane, but I want to be on the safer side.

I'm on my way from Bangor to Goose Bay right now, having starter my first leg from Robertson Field yesterday. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Great post Paul thanks for the link. Have any of you chaps see the tv series dangerous flights? It's about aircraft ferry pilots and although it's got the usual over dramatisation of some parts it is IMO a must watch for aeroplane fans.

Thanks,
Lewis

I've seen the odd episode or two. It's a cool series, and partially why I'm ferrying the Cherokee from Robertson Field to Kjevik.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

chadryan
Senior Airman

Post by chadryan »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Great post Paul thanks for the link. Have any of you chaps see the tv series dangerous flights? It's about aircraft ferry pilots and although it's got the usual over dramatisation of some parts it is IMO a must watch for aeroplane fans.

Thanks,
Lewis

I've seen every episode. I love that series!

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Lewis - A2A wrote: Have any of you chaps see the tv series dangerous flights? It's about aircraft ferry pilots and although it's got the usual over dramatisation of some parts it is IMO a must watch for aeroplane fans.
I haven't seen it but that's because, leading a television-free life, I'm just not aware of it. I'll definitely look it up and see if I can watch any of it online or on a dvd maybe. Cheers matey! :)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Paul,

I also don't have a TV, but I know that Season One can be found online. It is worth a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJGF1mFul4

Just from episode 1 to the end of the season.

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jettrader
Airman

Post by Jettrader »

Just found this post - actually I'm just flying this trip. From Vero Beach to Essen, Germany. I'm currently flying north along the east coast and then plan to cross from Cartwright (CYCA) to Narsarsuaq (BGBW) from there to Kulusuk (BGKK) and then to Keflavik...

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”