a2a stand alone flight sim?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
TBC
Airman Basic

a2a stand alone flight sim?

Post by TBC »

Just wondering if a2a has any plans of developing it's own stand alone flight sim in the future? I realize this is a massive undertaking but with what you guys have done in developing aircraft with accusim, I'm sure it would be incredible. Microsoft flight sims have been very good but maybe it's time for the next generation of flight simulation.

thanks

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: a2a stand alone flight sim?

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

TBC wrote:...maybe it's time for the next generation of flight simulation.
And maybe its not... I think Flight was supposed to be next generation, look what happened. Aerosoft announced years ago they were making a new flight simulator, where is it? A2A should continue doing what they do best.

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Well, there's X-Plane 10, Prepar3Dv2, they count as "next gen".

Aerosoft never "announced that they were making" a new sim, they said that they were investigating it and also stated that they would not be developing the idea further, instead switching their attentions to supporting X-Plane (and, now P3D as well, so X-Plane obviously didn't work out as they'd hoped).

Both P3D and XP10 are still undergoing further development, though, so the industry is far from "dead" because Microsoft pulled out.

Ian P.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Years ago A2A talked about creating its own stand-alone air combat simulation, but that has been indefinitely suspended to work on MSFS products. I don't think it is very likely that A2A will attempt a full standalone civilian flight simulation in the foreseeable future. The team has stayed with FSX exclusively even after researching other platforms like X-Plane and P3D. That said, if or when developing for FSX becomes commercially untenable, I would bet that A2A will migrate to an already established sim that fits their development strategy.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

How cool it was if developers in the future were able to combine the scenery model or world from FSX/P3D, FDE from DCS, and weather engine from Condor or SW combined with DCS one. AND to make a modern, efficient graphics engine on it while keeping it open enough for 3rd party developers to orbx the world and accusim the planes. :D

-Esa

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Ian P wrote:Aerosoft never "announced that they were making" a new sim, they said that they were investigating...
They titled the project as "Aerosoft Flight Simulator 20xx", sounds like an announcement to me.

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Then you just didn't read what Mathijs wrote, Bruce. He always said that they were investigating the possibility and what people wanted, then announced that it was too complex and costly for too little return, so wouldn't happen.

Ian P.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

AKar wrote:How cool it was if developers in the future were able to combine the scenery model or world
You know Esa...

I actually spoke to this point during the FLIGHT Beta to the MS Team... that "I wished" they would have focused on the Sim itself, and allowed the third party developers to do what they do best. Basically, continue / enhance the model of FSX (Missions, Learning Center, Multiplayer, Logbook etc - the "Macro-Sim") refining the code for today's hardware and put out the SDK for the developers so they can contribute to the Micro-Sim stuff.

My thinking was there was room for both MS and the 3rd parties to make a profit.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Hi Rob,

Yeah I think so too. In my opinion, what FS-XI should have are:
  • - updated support for modern hardware, especially the graphics engine;
    - updated 'world', limits on landclasses and textures should be removed;
    - updated weather engine, with volumetric clouds and fog, corrected wind and turbulence simulation;
    - completely revised FDE framework based on real time rigid body simulation, similar to DCS higher fidelity flight models (the current should remain optional for AI traffic and for backwards compability);
    - removal of default systems modeling, and instead an interface to provide addon products the raw data from FS world and vice versa.
That's about it. I'm not a programmer, but I find it stupid that much of FS magic we have today is because developers are so good in working around the FSX limitations these days. It should not be that way.

-Esa

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

What if instead of just flight simulation they opened up the world to trains and boats? So you could have people flying around in the air while others are hauling cargo on the rails and ships sailing about. Helicopter pilots could try landing on rail cars or ships that were controlled by other players. Aircraft carrier ops would be brought to a whole new level.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

alfredo_laredo
Senior Airman

Post by alfredo_laredo »

Someone said Battle Of Britain 3???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P
ASUS Z97-A, i7 7970K, Samsung Evo 840 256gb, GTX780, HDD 500GB, Patriot Series 5 RAM 8gb, Cooler Master M series 600W, Windows 7 64

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”