Spitfire MkV

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Spitfire MkV

Post by polluxware »

I saw a dev. video on youtube with the MKV spit.. The model (exterior seems to be finished)

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire MkV

Post by Ian P »

Scott announced a long time ago now that the Mk.V was 'pushed to the back of the hangar', presumably indefinitely. A pity, but they only have so many staff and an ever extending projects list.

Ian P.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Well I for one would love to see this brought back to the front of the hangar. The Mk V is potentially the most interesting of the A2A warbirds as it came in so many different versions, and was the first to demonstrate the Spitfire's versatility. I hope the work done on this will not be wasted.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Well I for one would love to see this brought back to the front of the hangar. The Mk V is potentially the most interesting of the A2A warbirds as it came in so many different versions, and was the first to demonstrate the Spitfire's versatility. I hope the work done on this will not be wasted.

Cheers,
Mike

Honestly, I could live without that "Vokes" filter variant... I think this is why the project stopped a bit.. then dropped lately

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Agreed the Vokes filter wasn't pretty, and it knocked about 30 mph off the top speed, but it's not a reason to stop the project. There are plenty of other variants to model, and the Mk V went though heaps of changes in it's life. It was, after all, the most numerous variant. I'd have liked to be able to try out an Accusim'd Mk V with it's single stage 2 speed supercharging, which I believe had to be manually operated. And the repaints possible......

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

It's far more likely that the project stopped because of the C172 - which I believe it is stated around here has massively outsold anything A2A have done before - and PA-28, taking all available staff from the Accu-Sim development team full time and away from other projects.

Unfortunately I, personally, suspect that A2A will now shift emphasis far more onto GA types (which leave any warbird standing in terms of repaint opportunties) and that the warbirds will become a far lower priority, other than through Aircraft Factory. Good for A2A and potentially for simulation in general, but not so much for those of us who prefer to simulate flying aircraft we can only dream of, rather than turn up and fly after just booking an hour solo or with an instructor (if we had the money! :roll: :lol: )

Ian P.

DaveWG
FSX Developer

Post by DaveWG »

I agree Ian. The upcoming Piper holds no interest for me, regardless of how good a simulation it is ( and I'm sure it will be good!). I've got the Cessna, but it rarely gets flows. Great simulation, but again it's a Cessna and not that interesting (to me).
The MkV Spitfire would have been a must buy. My favourite mark by far. Oh well.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Ian P wrote:Unfortunately I, personally, suspect that A2A will now shift emphasis far more onto GA types (which leave any warbird standing in terms of repaint opportunties) and that the warbirds will become a far lower priority, other than through Aircraft Factory.
That may be true as far as propeller driven warbirds are concerned, but A2A have a lot of development completed on the jet powered front. I would hate to see all that work in the recycle bin simply because the Cessna and Piper are their best sellers...

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

I don't know. I don't claim to know. All I can go on is the evidence of the jets and the Spitfire being pushed back and the complete lack of announcements regarding other warbirds. Lewis keeps saying that there are other things happening, but apart from things known to be Aircraft Factory projects (e.g. P-51H), all we know for certain is coming is the PA-28.

I don't mind a PA-28, I'll get it, I'll fly it, but I'd really have liked the sound of more Merlins coming from my speakers than Lycomings. :(

Ian P.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

I may be a little cynical, but it is my belief that with the success of the GA planes (remember at this point, FSX and this community is only a part of their business) they will be looking to make an Accusim corporate jet, marketed to advanced flight schools with real world training in mind.

That's why I believe the T-33 is a little red meat being thrown out to the hardcore fan base, but it's true purpose is to develop a solid, basic jet engine to be used in bigger GA projects.

I do hope I'm wrong, of course- I'd love them to take all the good stuff they developed for the Spitfire MkI and MkII and essentially drag and drop it into an early Hurricane, in a relatively easy, quick project.

I'm really still holding out hope that there are some major warbird projects in the pipeline (AT-6, C-47, B-29, etc) which will get the full Accusim treatment, and not just be relegated to Aircraft Factory (which I wouldn't buy).

I'm just really glad A2A sold me on their GA stuff... I was not optimistic that I would fly it more than once or twice, and yet the C172 gets flown more than any of my warbirds!

Joe
Joe

dickb
Airman

Post by dickb »

Ian P wrote: I'd really have liked the sound of more Merlins coming from my speakers than Lycomings. :(

Ian P.
Hear hear. And of course you get four with a Lancaster :wink:

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I think the large customer base is only a good thing as things grow.

I think personally that the warbirds are interesting and fun, but for me they lack some connection I found with some aircraft similar to those I've encountered in real life hands on like Pipers and Cessnas, airliners and some modernish military jets. Planes, like all technical things, have some character that makes them apart from each other, and I don't mean things like you can see in the pictures, or even in the movies. For me, a sound of Merlin (unfortunately) is quite generic one, as I have hardly seen one live, but it's a refreshingly new experience in flight sims to recall the familiar sound of switches and pumps and relays and see what they do in the simulations of that kind of aircraft I know.

-Esa

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I'm glad that the Cessna has increased A2A's customer base, and have no problem with them developing more GA planes, but I hope they won't "forget where it all started". Older planes, in my opinion, have more character, so I'm hoping that somewhere in their development list are more warbirds and propliners (DC-6, Connie etc) or early jets. Who here wouldn't like to see a Hurricane, Lancaster, Accusim'd Corsair or even a Beaver?

It all takes time, and we must be patient, but I can only hope that someone from A2A is reading this and taking note. I like my Cessna, but I can't fling it about the sky like I can in my P-40, P-47 or, best of all, my Spitfire. Please dust off the Mk V and fit the metal ailerons for a better roll rate, and "Miss Schilling's orifice" so I can stay inverted a bit more... :D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

Just a tought, but i think A2A main profile now ,are not the fsx addons anymore... Sound strange i know, but after i saw the latest dev. video's, the planes they are making for "air industry" and this is more profitable (T-6, ghosthawk...) for them.. It's similar to the Eagle Dynamics who's started with an addon, then lately working for US army (A-10C simulator package).

I don't blame them or anything, don't get me wrong!!! (i really glad for their succes, they absolutely deserve it)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”