Airport Gates

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
gxsmith
Airman

Airport Gates

Post by gxsmith »

Hey there, this might be a dumb question but I am still new to MSFS. Is there a way to start my flight from the gate at the Airport. Every time I do a flight plan I am on the runway not the gate. When I do a mission they seem to start at the gate. Thanks

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Re: Airport Gates

Post by DC3 »

When you choose your starting airport for your flight plan look at the bottom of the dialog box and you will see a drop down list that says "Active Runway". Click on this drop down box and you will see all the gates and tie downs for where you can select where you would like to start.

==> I am doing this from memory so the terminology might not be exact.

SanderK
Airman

Post by SanderK »

You can indeed pick any gate, parking spot on the ramp and fuel station. Unfortunately they are only numbered, so you have no idea where on the airfield you will actually spawn.

gxsmith
Airman

Post by gxsmith »

Hey Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help, happy flying!

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

Does anybody know of a tool that can help visualize where those numbered gates and parking spots are on an airport? Like showing the numbers on the respective spots while you move along the airport premises? Or maybe even display them on an overview chart?

I know, I could just start from every single location and then note where I ended up, but especially on bigger airports all that reloading can be quite time consuming. I usually don't care about the exact spot, but it would be great to have a simple way of finding out that e.g. Gates 1-10 are main terminal, Gates 11-20 are at the northern annex building, parking spots 1-50 are in the south part, 51-100 are in the north and 101-120 across the runway at the freight terminal. Something like that would already go a long way for planning, especially if I have to start from an airport I am not very familiar with.

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Hi,

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a tool that does exactly what you've described. The only thing that comes close to that is the airport diagram view in Plan-G (it shows parking spots on the diagram, with the corresponding number available as a tooltip). I use this tool for flight planning anyway, so I find it quite convenient, but starting the program just to see parking spots would probably be too much hassle...

Tym

EDIT: Here's a screenshot...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I cant remember of the top of my head but ADE should be able to help you out. You can open the airports up you use the most and make note of the parking, gates etc and if you want even move them about and update them. Its a dead easy and really great tool, even numpties like me have used it with ease in the past.

http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

thanks
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

Many thanks for the suggestions, guys. :D
I'll check them both out and see what fits my needs best.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Does anyone know if the jetways at the FSX airports come out to meet the aircraft passenger door? I can get the cargo loader and baggage cart / tug to align and work with the forward right cargo door (when open); but I can't get the jetway to come out and meet the airplane.

L1011 with cargo loader and tug with baggage cart.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :?:

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

Yes they work. However, in your shot, there is not a jetway at your gate; there is one at the gate to your left. You have to be at the gate and aligned, then use Ctrl+J by default. The jetway will then move to the aircraft main door. My only real problem is that on taller aircraft it will float the wheels of the jetway up in air as the jetway moves up.
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Thanks PilotGod. The pic I showed you was just for the cargo loader and tug with baggage cart. I have tried to get the jetway to come out at a gate with a jetway available. I'll try the Ctl+J next time.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”