Active Sky Instructions

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
usb
Airman Basic

Active Sky Instructions

Post by usb »

I have a few questions on how to use more of the active sky features Have tried their forum with no response. Anyone know who might help answer a few questions on using their product besides telling me to read the documentation like I have ten times already.
Mike G.
AMD FX-6300 / C:\Windows\64-bit operating system ,Windows 7 with Radeon 7770 ghz VGA card/8.00 GB with Enhanced Cooling Fans. FSX Gold with the Acceleration Pack

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Active Sky Instructions

Post by n421nj »

Active sky next or as2012? And what are you trying to do? Active sky next is pretty user friendly.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

What are you wanting it to do that it is not doing already? I am falling in love with ASN, especially the wake turbulence feature. If you can give us a bit more information on what you are expecting, it will help narrow it down.
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

usb
Airman Basic

Post by usb »

Here are some things I still am not grasping:
Active Sky Questions:

I Have created four backup files (don't ask why):

backup-20-1-2014
backup-21-1-2014
backup-22-1-2014
initial backup

1.Question:
Can I remove the first three backup files from the list and how do I do that?

2.Question:
In the Snapshots section can the Preview Unavalable picture be changed and how?

3. Understanding a little on how to Auto Generate Snapshots, just what will this do to improve my Active Sky experience? I noticed as well that twenty snapshots takes up alot of memory.

4. Is it ok to move to another airport location once you have started with live weather in one location without closing the FSX program first or should I close FSX as to reset the weather?

5. In the Edit Wx section if I load a preset selection how do I clear it and use live weather again?

I believe these are all I have for now. Let me say I really like the program and have figured out a lot of the features, just want to get the most out of the program and I understand that it is as with anything a learning process.
Mike G.
AMD FX-6300 / C:\Windows\64-bit operating system ,Windows 7 with Radeon 7770 ghz VGA card/8.00 GB with Enhanced Cooling Fans. FSX Gold with the Acceleration Pack

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

1. Can I remove the first three backup files from the list and how do I do that?
You should be able to delete the folders. If you know they take up a lot of disk space, you probably already know where these folders are.
snapshots
These questions should be covered in the manual. Best to just read that.
4. Is it ok to move to another airport location once you have started with live weather in one location without closing the FSX program first or should I close FSX as to reset the weather?
I move the aircraft all the time. No need to restart FSX. The weather should be accurate everywhere once AS2012 is running.
5. In the Edit Wx section if I load a preset selection how do I clear it and use live weather again?
I'm not entirely sure how this works. AS2012 selects user defined weather automatically and this should override the weather theme you had loaded before. If it's a problem, select Clear Weather theme first, then let AS2012 set user defined weather. This may work or it may not, and if not, select user defined weather yourself after selecting Clear. I don't think you have to go to the cockpit view for this to take effect. I know this may not be very helpful, but I did mention that I wasn't sure how it worked. Good luck!

Hook

usb
Airman Basic

Post by usb »

Thanks for the info! The first question though the initial backup of course I want to keep but I created three more and don't know where they are located. These are not themes, They are updated backups and I couldn't locate them. All in all I am getting it. I have been using REX and the default (when it's working) I have FSrealWXlite and it's ok but the clouds don't look very nice. I really like AS thunderstorms! I use REX textures but replaced the lightning sound and graphics with AS. I did notice AS really plays heck with your aircraft when approaching AI traffic, almost takes my Cessna out of the sky sometime unless of course I stay in the landing pattern. I use the Saitek X52Pro but I'm sure it's something to do with AS, doesn't happen with the other weather engines. All in all Active Sky well worth the money in my book.Thanks again for your help. Just found this forum and thought I might join in if all of you will put up with my never ending questions. My big thing is AI, military as well as all the WOAI addons and scenery design like aircraft carriers as working airports AI Harriers and Jets. That stuff I might be able to return help with. This is my first interaction with someone here so I might ask for help from time to time.
Mike G.

usb
Airman Basic

Post by usb »

Ah! Found the Initial Backup! As well as the three I wanted to delete. App Data/Local. Always forget the Roaming folder isn't the only place to look.
Mike G.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

This is my first interaction with someone here so I might ask for help from time to time.
Well, ok, but keep in mind I know nothing about REX, FSrealWX, Saitek, AI (including WOAI), military aircraft or scenery design. :) Other should be able to help though.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”