A day in Accu-Sim development (Cherokee)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

A day in Accu-Sim development (Cherokee)

Post by Scott - A2A »

15 degrees today in the North East US:

We place rulers around the aircraft to insure measurement accuracy:

A additional shot for Michal of underneath the cowling:

An example shot of one of an elevator trim hinges for the walkaround:

Pulling the Comanche out of it's warm hangar to test the STEC-30 autopilot for the Accu-Sim Cherokee. I really don't like subjecting the beautiful old girl to sub-zero temperatures but the entire week is going to be cold and we need this data. She is a champ:

Camera on the dash while I go through all the modes. Had to climb to a frigid 8,000 feet to find smooth air:

Here is where the two main components to the STEC-30 are:

The STEC-30 is a beautifully simple device. It can be manually steered (like the 377 Stratocruiser), hold a heading, or track a VOR. It also has an altitude hold. It is a very smooth operating autopilot:

You can see it mounted below the airspeed indicator here:

When the testing was over, I flew over Simsbury and saw Pete's (A2A Comanche mechanic) truck, so I stopped it to say hi. You can see the tracks on the runway, no anti-lock brakes here (wouldn't want them anyway :) ):

Simsbury is always a nice little airport to visit:

Pete was deep into replacing the flap track hinges and bearings. They were getting noticeably sloppy, and of course, if you have the Accu-Sim C172, you know this part of the walk around by checking the flap play by hand:

Departing Simsbury, a Maule doing some work in the pattern:

A nice easy flight back, throttled back and a low purring RPM:

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A day in Accu-Sim development (Cherokee)

Post by Tug002 »

Hello Scott

Thanks for the beautifull photos. Nice to know someone else is enjoying the winter weather. was -35c with the windchill here today.

Keep Smiling

Tug :)

Slaythoven
Airman Basic

Post by Slaythoven »

Thats great that you are modeling an STEC Autopilot, I got to play with one in an Archer once...fun, and relatively cheap!
Using Tapatalk

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Scott - A2A wrote:15 degrees today in the North East US:
Such little snow! I thought the last system that moved thru buried you guys (a foot or so in that region?).

Brutal temps here too in Indy. Time to move to Alaska where these temps are the norm. :P
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Raptor05121
Senior Airman

Post by Raptor05121 »

That panel of the Cherokee is beautiful. Looks almost like mine. I cannot wait to buy this bird! Should we expect by summers release?
-Alex

DeskPilot518
Senior Airman

Post by DeskPilot518 »

Simsbury? no, no, no, fly to Solberg Airport in NJ and pick me up! Just dial in the SBJ VOR! I'll be waiting! I have no experience flying a real plane and would be absolutely useless! But hey, I could Atleast jot down notes, or something? Dinner on me? :wink:

Oh well, just kidding! I can't wait to fly this plane!!! Updates are always appreciated!

Bill
My blog!
DeskPilot's Flight Sim Blog:
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Scott,

is your Comanche showing mph or kts?? I can't really see it :D

Greets,
Marc

Edit: seems to be mph as the max gear down speed sticker is mph... ^^

wnt2fly2001
Airman First Class

Post by wnt2fly2001 »

I will be picking this one up for sure !!!

Just a quick question. I'm not that familiar with Pipers, but it looks like the altimeter and vsi are common to what is seen in the newer Cessna's. Will these be in the A2A Cherokee as well or are you going to model older looking ones to add into the Cherokee?

Darrell

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Thanks for these posts, Scott! I like the photo sets in these forums, and these related to development are interesting from that perspective too!

I understand that you've had an unusually cold winter there in US? Has that caused any extra troubles to aviators there?

I was working at the airport this evening... Typical winter evening/night.. -21 degrees Celsius (about -6 F), and some ice crystals / freezing fog for a while with RVR down to 500 meters... Nothing moves, opens or closes, except via moderate use of force, as grease turn into glue. And if there was no grease, ice does the trick. Starting up any vehicle shut down for more than a few hours is a project in itself. Hate this s**t during winters! Luckily, at here, it's been a very, very easy winter so far.

-Esa

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Thanks for these updates Scott.
Rough job, but someone has to do it. :mrgreen:
Weather wise, here in WI, a nice warm 20F, snowing and blowing.
I think this year has been more of a "normal" winter. Last few years have been unusually warm, and we have become spoiled.

Pilot Chris
Airman

Post by Pilot Chris »

Hi Scott,

Always good to know how the development work is going for the Cherokee, will you be just modelling the panel we see in the supplied photo or the slightly newer version with rocker switches for BATT/ALT etc ?

Hope all your testing goes to plan and safe flying.

All the best
Chris

Raptor05121
Senior Airman

Post by Raptor05121 »

Chris, the regular 60's switches were a lot more fun to "flick on" than rocker switches. You feel like Top Gun :D
-Alex

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Chris,

The Cherokees were changed quite a bit over the years. I owned a later model Cherokee Warrior with the rockers, but I think you will fall in love with this original design as it has a great deal of magic.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Pilot Chris
Airman

Post by Pilot Chris »

Thanks Scott, yes I must admit the older Cherokee has a much more rugged vintage look.
Thanks tor the continuing updates always extremely interesting in the level of detail you provide.
Can't wait to purchase this once available.

All the best
Chris

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

I like those multicolored toggle switches, they remind me of the sliders on an ARP Odyssey...

ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”