Everel One Bladed Prop On J-2 Cub

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Everel One Bladed Prop On J-2 Cub

Post by cflord »

The following paragraphs were written by Mr. Richard Hawley, as he attended the 28th Annual Sentimental Journey Piper Cub Fly-In. The Fly-In was held at William T. Piper Memorial Airport, Lock Haven, PA.

"Back in 1936, when Mr. Taylor and Mr. Piper were still working as a team, they produced the Taylor J-2 Cub. There on the airfield was a beautiful Taylor J-2 owned by Mark Stewart of Ocala, Florida. NC16667 was sitting there as a beautifully restored example, but with one very major difference. It flew in with a very rare Everel single-bladed counter-balanced propeller. The first sight impression causes more than just a double-take. “What the…” was the most common unfinished sentence heard from those who walked unsuspectingly up to the airplane. One blade is completely normal in appearance while the other looks like a pirate’s peg leg with a nicely rounded counterweight. A rarer sight could not be imagined."

"The Everel propeller, designed in the 1930’s by Walter W. Everts, of Baltimore, Maryland, advertised numerous advantages, including faster takeoff and climb, less vibration, higher cruising and top speeds, greater fuel economy, reduced bending of blades and reduced gyroscopic action. It featured an automatic pitch changing action, shifting from shallow pitch on takeoff to deeper pitch at cruise. This went on to become the foundation for the two bladed Aeromatic Propeller."

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8)

FlameOut
Staff Sergeant

Re: Everel One Bladed Prop On J-2 Cub

Post by FlameOut »

Yep, that is what I would've said! :shock:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wow never knew these things existed. I wonder what they sound like, must give of a unique sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

That is fascinating! I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for posting.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I'm curious if it really did all it said it did. Was it really more efficient than two bladed props?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Pretty cool stuff.

I heard from a guy that flew one that it was a pretty good design and there was definitely improved climb and cruise performance. He said that the parts wore out quickly and it was difficult to keep the tension in adjustment. It required all sorts of shims and periodic adjustment to keep the hub properly operating as I understood. The wooden prop blades also tended to be more sensitive than 2 bladed wooden props to changes in humidity and this resulted in more vibration.

Supposedly, the single prop goes also has the benefit of going through less disturbed air and is therefore more efficient at the lower RPMs that were common for that engine.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Fabo
Airman First Class

Post by Fabo »

Yes, it is well understood that less blades a prop has, more effective it becomes.

Problem with single blade props is they are not weight centered (hence the counterweight)... Nowadays, you can find them on performance model airplanes.

And if you are asking why there are multiple blade props... you can only go so big with a blade, then you have to start using more blades. Two reasons being ground clearance and blade tips extending speed of sound.

Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Post by Li'lJugs »

Fabo wrote:... Nowadays, you can find them on performance model airplanes.
Back in the days of "stick and tissue, rubber powered" model airplanes, they were around, also.

(oops, showing my age!)

Moach
Airman First Class

Post by Moach »

FlameOut wrote:Yep, that is what I would've said! :shock:
What I would have said similarly expresses apparent disbelief - however the exact phrasing that came to mind ought not be uttered, lest our mothers soap our mouths :mrgreen:

what a curious device - I'm looking at it, and yet half my brain is still intent on trying to disprove my eyes...

I reckon the claims of better performance could be due to the absence of the second blade's wake... I can conceive how that'd work- as soon as the sight of it eventually begins to make sense, that is... :shock:
To fly is to behold Men's ultimate mastery of the elements; Of eons dreamt, at last fulfilled;
Over cloud and top, the true realization of achievement voices out in wondrous awe:
"...Acknowledge my last transmission!", I think it says...

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

This is utterly fascinating!

Have a look at this. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqiBb98o1D8
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Moach
Airman First Class

Post by Moach »

Whoa! what an ingenious device!

By the end of the video the guy shows the pitching action on the blade - how clever! that movement could only work with a single blade, hence the design! this is most fascinating indeed - a solid wood variable pitch propeller! :D
To fly is to behold Men's ultimate mastery of the elements; Of eons dreamt, at last fulfilled;
Over cloud and top, the true realization of achievement voices out in wondrous awe:
"...Acknowledge my last transmission!", I think it says...

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”