Heinkel 162

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
goanna
Airman

Heinkel 162

Post by goanna »

I have been lucky and privileged to talk with gentlemen in September 2013 who test flew and delivered He 162's at the end of WW II. He tells me this aircraft was a joy to fly (had great flying characteristics) and I believe this was confirmed in the trials carried out at Farnborough by RAF test pilots. Does this aircraft feature in A2A's plans for the near future? It sounds like a good model for simulation and there are plenty of survivors around in museums.

'll keep my fingers crossed. Regards.....N

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Re: Heinkel 162

Post by dacamp66 »

I agree that the 162 would be a good candidate for a2a, however it is not likely that it will happen due to the fact that the faa would never permit the aircraft to be fueled, much less flown (the rocket engine uses alcohol and industrial strength h2o2) alcohol is not a problem, but h2o2 in high strength concentrations EXPLODES VIOLENTLY upon contact with ANYTHING organic. Also there are documented historical instances of the h2o2 DISSOLVING THE PILOT when a leak occurred (pilot sits directly on top of the h2o2 tank) any flight would have to be an unpowered tow/glide. its too bad, really, I would pay almost anything to fly one of those birds. :cry:
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

dacamp66 wrote:I agree that the 162 would be a good candidate for a2a, however it is not likely that it will happen due to the fact that the faa would never permit the aircraft to be fueled, much less flown (the rocket engine uses alcohol and industrial strength h2o2) alcohol is not a problem, but h2o2 in high strength concentrations EXPLODES VIOLENTLY upon contact with ANYTHING organic. Also there are documented historical instances of the h2o2 DISSOLVING THE PILOT when a leak occurred (pilot sits directly on top of the h2o2 tank) any flight would have to be an unpowered tow/glide. its too bad, really, I would pay almost anything to fly one of those birds. :cry:
I think you might be mistaking the He162 with the rocket power Me163 :wink:

The He162 was a really interesting design and esp the idea behind the 'peoples fighter', the idea that anyone was to be used to pilot these little aircraft.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

I can see the AccuSim window now...

"Airframe Time: 25.2 hours
Engine Time: 25.2 hours

There are major problems with the engine.

Pilot dissolved." With a button on the menu - [RECONSTITUTE PILOT]

Eeeewwwwwww
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Indeed, the He162 Salamander or "Peoples' Fighter" (Volksjager) was a very interesting aircraft - and very different than the Me163 Komet. The nose of the Salamander always reminds me a lot of the Hawker Sea Hawk, Britain's last straight-winged jet fighter.

It would be an excellent Aircraft Factory addition... ;)

Ian P.

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

Woops! sorry about the brainfart folks; :oops: glad I could provide a few giggles to the community, though.
the he-162 is another excellent aircraft candidate; I have it in my aircraft powepack installation. must have been a real "female dog" to bail out of with the engine location, though.
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

goanna
Airman

Post by goanna »

dacamp66 wrote:Woops! sorry about the brainfart folks; :oops: glad I could provide a few giggles to the community, though.
the he-162 is another excellent aircraft candidate; I have it in my aircraft powepack installation. must have been a real "female dog" to bail out of with the engine location, though.
Thanks for the giggle, for a moment there you had me thinking!! You are right about the no bail out option my friend tells me none of the pilots he knew known to have baled out survived. When it worked it was a very stable and pleasant aircraft to fly. :D

goanna
Airman

Post by goanna »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
dacamp66 wrote:I agree that the 162 would be a good candidate for a2a, however it is not likely that it will happen due to the fact that the faa would never permit the aircraft to be fueled, much less flown (the rocket engine uses alcohol and industrial strength h2o2) alcohol is not a problem, but h2o2 in high strength concentrations EXPLODES VIOLENTLY upon contact with ANYTHING organic. Also there are documented historical instances of the h2o2 DISSOLVING THE PILOT when a leak occurred (pilot sits directly on top of the h2o2 tank) any flight would have to be an unpowered tow/glide. its too bad, really, I would pay almost anything to fly one of those birds. :cry:
I think you might be mistaking the He162 with the rocket power Me163 :wink:

The He162 was a really interesting design and esp the idea behind the 'peoples fighter', the idea that anyone was to be used to pilot these little aircraft.
Lewis, Thank you for your input though I note no hint of a response to my question. Now I know nothing about developing simulator products such as a He 162 and I guess there are sound reasons in a competitive environment why this might be so.
The He162 is unique in that it flew within 90 days of its conception due to the extraordinary efforts of the Earnest Heinkel and his team. The aircraft was founded on basic and simple manufacturing techniques yet was innovative through the use of the BWM 003 jet engine. I feel sure these principles could also apply to development of such a simulated aircraft if some extraordinary efforts were applied by the developer.
Only a short time remains for those with real experience of WW II types and their adventurous descendants. :wink: :wink:

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Reconstitute pilot, LOL

computerflyer
Senior Airman

Post by computerflyer »

Accusim for the He162 would include a very arduous and detailed preflight inspection procedure, especially in regard to the fuel system. If the pilot or groundcrew accidentally skip a few steps, a minor leak might cause the pilot's feet or legs to be dissolved. Intentional gross negligence, such as doing no preflight inspection at all, could result in the most serious of consequences, total dissolution of the pilot. :(

computerflyer
Senior Airman

Post by computerflyer »

Oops, in my earlier comment about Accusim preflight inspections, I meant to say Me163, not the He162.

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

I can still remember from the discovery channel's show "Great Planes", they did an episode about the ME-163 Komet. one of the things they covered was the fuelling procedure: the unfueled, empty, unmanned aircraft would be towed out to the runway, the alcohol/water propellant would be pumped in, and then a special team wearing what were basically fireproof "hazmat" suits would load the H2O2 oxidizer while everyone else would retreat to a safe distance; when this was complete, the pilot would board and the aircraft would be immediately launched. no ignition system was needed as h2o2 and the alcohol/h2o mixture were hypergolic (they ignited on contact with one another) the Luftwaffe of that era also had a similar system of jettisonnable, liquid fuelled "JATO" bottles that used the same basic engine system as the ME-163 that were often used on the ME_323 gigant and other aircraft where STOL and/or takeoff roll reduction were needed.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”