Ideas for building computer?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Ideas for building computer?

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I'm going to be building a new computer, both for work and for use with FSX. I already have all the accessories I could possibly use, but I would like some ideas for the following:

- Processor (I'm thinking Intel, i5 or i7)
- Video Card (I prefer NVidia)
- Motherboard
- RAM

Let me know what your thoughts are. My budget is going to be about $2,000. I need this computer for video work. If I could get recommendations for the above, I would highly appreciate it. It's been a while since I built a computer and I'm looking for objective technical reasoning in order to maximize performance. Thanks!

-Cody
ImageImage
ImageImage

killer757
Staff Sergeant

Re: Ideas for building computer?

Post by killer757 »

When ever I see a topic about building a computer, I get excited. :lol:

For you CPU, I would go with the Intel i5 - 4670K Haswell 3.4Ghz LGA 1150. This is a really good CPU, in the form of a i5. I would highly recommend going with the newer 1150 sockets, as thats what Intel and everything is switching over to. Its also very easy to overclock on the K series, so I would also get a aftermarket CPU cooler. What cooler you get is up to you.

Link- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6819116899

NVidia has just started to get more into there 700 series, so that would be a good choice. I preferably like EVGA for my GPU's, but they are all pretty much the same. For normal gaming and FSX, I would recommend the 760 2GB. You could go higher or lower depending on your budget. Some of the higher 600's (Such as the 670 or 80) are just about as good as a lower 700. You could also SLI, but I would hold off on that until later.

Link- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814130938

Motherboards are all pretty much the same, with some having more features then others. Just make sure you go with a 1150 socket, and I would recommend at least one PCI Express 3.0-16. Also, 6GB transfer speeds for SATA is also very helpful for larger loading games such as FSX. Also remember your motherboard size, Im guessing you will have a standard ATX. The number of USB 3.0 ports is also something to look into, if you have a lot of flight controllers like myself. :) Asus is good, but they have a lot of customer service issues, and there RMA service is also no top-notch. I have owned both MSI and BIOStar and have had no problems with either. Here is a nice MSI that will suit all of your needs.

Link- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813130697

Now, you said you will be doing things like video editing, so you will most likely want more RAM. I would recommend 16GB for video and photo editing, as that will be more then enough to get you through. 1600 is the standard for clock speeds, and thats just about the highest that most motherboards will support. CORSAIR right now would be the leader in RAM, and they are a good compony to buy from.

Link- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6820233388

Sorry all the links are for CAN, but thats all I have... You should be able to find them all online, and NewEgg is the best for buying online. If they ship to your area.

If you need anymore help, I would be more then happy to help :D
Like I said, I love talking about computers, and have built three in my span.

~ Ty D.
ImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Thanks bud. That's a great start. I've built many computers over the years (too many to count) but the last system I built was an i7 920 and things have changed. I haven't kept up with things and I wanted a good starting point. When I get back I will respond more properly. I'm on the road currently. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

Cody - check out NickN's guide at simforums on building a has well system. I've used his guides for fsx tuning for many years. Here's a link:

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/haswell ... 46180.html

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Great guides guys. I'm starting to get some good price points for what I'm looking at. Any additional info is useful. This thing should be a rocket from what I'm seeing.
ImageImage
ImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Right then, so this is what I ended up with:
16GB DDR3 RAM (Corsair)
Intel i7 4770K
Factory overclock at 4.2+GHz (with warranty from both Intel and CyberpowerPC)
Water cooling with 360MM radiator and three fans
EVGA Nvidia 770 2GB

Just waiting for her to arrive. She's beastly and I'm pretty happy I don't have to mess with overclocking AND it is warrantied. Got myself some new speakers as the 500 watt system I'm running is around 8 years old and showing it's legs. Ran too loud for years and she crackles at the high end.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Awesome she will fly 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

killer757
Staff Sergeant

Post by killer757 »

Great setup you have there! Would love to see some pics once she gets to you :D
ImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Thank you. I should be getting the rig sometime next week. They are currently building it. I will certainly try to post some screenshots and performance specs.
ImageImage
ImageImage

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

CodyValkyrie wrote:I'm going to be building a new computer, both for work and for use with FSX. I already have all the accessories I could possibly use, but I would like some ideas for the following:

- Processor (I'm thinking Intel, i5 or i7)
- Video Card (I prefer NVidia)
- Motherboard
- RAM

Let me know what your thoughts are. My budget is going to be about $2,000. I need this computer for video work. If I could get recommendations for the above, I would highly appreciate it. It's been a while since I built a computer and I'm looking for objective technical reasoning in order to maximize performance. Thanks!

-Cody

Their are many really good products out their Cody.....
I have found with computers and their components you get what you pay for.
As for myself.....
I have an, i5 processor.
8 gigs ram
1T harddrive.
That's in my Laptop.

All 4 of my desktops use the same system.
i7 processor
2T hard drives
16 Gigs ram.
EVGA - GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card
MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Desktop Motherboard

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Cody, who did you go to for your new computer. I've only bought stock computers before, and I'm ready to try something more tailored to flight sim than to everyday tasks. I would also like the option to NOT use windows 8!

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I used CyberPowerPC. Keep in mind when you order from most custom retailers that if you don't specify what you want, they will usually slap in generic crap. The prices are good though, and for the price it would cost me the same to build it. This is the reason I took this route, as I'm getting a warranty and didn't want to spend a week tweaking (I tend to take it REALLY slow).
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Thanks for the info, Cody. I will take a look at their site and others I find, as well. I do have pretty good deals through HP, but I need options, as well. I'm not sure how well Windows 8 is playing with FSX at the moment, so my preference in the absence of more info would be to go with Windows 7...if it can still be found!
Thanks again.

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I ordered my rig with a copy of Windows 7 64 bit from them. I know a few other vendors are doing the same.
ImageImage
ImageImage

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

Hi Cody, just wondering if ya got the new 'puter yet. I'm starting ta shop around for one myself to replace mine and took a look at Cyber. Prices seem good but would like to here how your purchase went and how it performs for ya. Thanks in advance.... Steve

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”