PREPAR3D?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

PREPAR3D?

Post by francesco.doenz »

I am a new user, with the full package of the Spit and Mustang, flying FSX.
Do your products also work with PREPAR3D? If not, do you plan to allow it in the futur?

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: PREPAR3D?

Post by guenseli »

From my perosnal experience, they do work, but not with installer.
You have to copy the files over

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

francesco.doenz wrote:I am a new user, with the full package of the Spit and Mustang, flying FSX.
Do your products also work with PREPAR3D? If not, do you plan to allow it in the futur?
What, if ANY, is the advantage to running P3D -instead- of FSX..moreover why would anyone want to switch over if they were not interested in a r/w pilot license. I have heard all this hoopla the past months about P3D and all the moaning, hand-wringing and tears trying to get it to actually play..especially with popular add-ons. Who needs that frustration? Doesn't FSX offer enough frustration already? My $.02 worth... :(

Happy SKIES to ALL
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

From my experience the P3D is just updated FSX, and since the hardware evolution went in completely different direction than anticipated when the FSX was released, changing FSX code to utilize more effectively this new hardware options is a step in the right direction, and from that mindset I monitor the P3D development closely. I was testing the 1.2 version previously, and currently wait for 2.0, which may be well worth the money and wait.
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Dear Charlie,
I use both, FSX and PREPAR3D, on separate computers and must say that with PREPAR3D I do not have any problems, it runs smoother than FSX and I do not have the occasional problems FSX has like black screens once in a while.
I run P3D with addons, photoreal scenery France, Sitzerland, REX, AS2012, FEX, Opus, Traffic 360, Realair Spit.

But anyway, I do not think the question is to know if P3D is better, I think we as a community of flightsimmers have to encourage people who are behind their product by buying it! FSX was and still is a good product, but it is dead, and will never make use of the new hardware, multi GPU,SLI, multicores, hyperthreading...and new softwares!!!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I have experimented with P3D. The main advantage is that it is MUCH easier to get working "out of the box". Less cfg tweeking and mucking about.

The graphics are slightly better in some areas as is the general "feel".

I haven't tested the A2A stuff greatly, simply because of the Beta test schedule, but what I have done works perfectly, particularly the Spitfire Mk I. The Estonian Migrator software solved ALL installation problems for me.

The P3D program is also MUCH more stable than my FSX installations, giving hardly any lock ups, BSOD or twitches at all. Frame rates about the same as FSX but "feel" of screen display/refresh better, smoother. For a cockpit builder I believe P3D is the way of the future but V2 is a significant change in process and wether that improves teh software or creates problems remains to be seen. Personally I would rather 1.4 as a "better FSX" than upgrade if 2.0 turns out to be a "spend the next five years fixing bugs" new development. we will see what LM comes up with.

At $199 for the full version, it is not cheap but their support, in my experience, is excellent.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Dear Killratio,
I agree on every point with your detailed opinion , and again we have to encourage people who are behind their products by buying them!

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Killratio wrote:I have experimented with P3D. The main advantage is that it is MUCH easier to get working "out of the box". Less cfg tweeking and mucking about.

The graphics are slightly better in some areas as is the general "feel".

I haven't tested the A2A stuff greatly, simply because of the Beta test schedule, but what I have done works perfectly, particularly the Spitfire Mk I. The Estonian Migrator software solved ALL installation problems for me.

The P3D program is also MUCH more stable than my FSX installations, giving hardly any lock ups, BSOD or twitches at all. Frame rates about the same as FSX but "feel" of screen display/refresh better, smoother. For a cockpit builder I believe P3D is the way of the future but V2 is a significant change in process and wether that improves teh software or creates problems remains to be seen. Personally I would rather 1.4 as a "better FSX" than upgrade if 2.0 turns out to be a "spend the next five years fixing bugs" new development. we will see what LM comes up with.

At $199 for the full version, it is not cheap but their support, in my experience, is excellent.

Darryl
Daryl..are you just a regular FSX enthusiast with nearly 3,000 posts in just these forums alone? Saying P3D is 'easier to get going' and has a better 'feel' is WAY too vague and suspicous-sounding. Here's the kicker 'SLIGHTLY better graphics in SOME areas." Got screenshots? I have seen many side-by-side screenies P3D and FSX and never have seen any noticeable differences. Certainly NOT $199 worth. So what's in it FOR YOU..that you encourage us all to spend $199 for vague alleged improvements? My FSX box runs smoothly month after month..year after year. FS9 was not a headache either. I am an educated person. I am flying FSX..not .mucking about' as some claim. For $199 here in las vegas I can find better 'investment opportunities' than a look-alike FSX sim; especially since for me FSX is a dream to fly. "If it AIN'T BROKE' don't FIX IT.

LASTLY - If P3D is so smooth and 'crash-free' who needs their 'excellent support" at $199? Evidently you have P3D issues eh?
I have not seen a BSOD on any of my Windows boxes since Windows 98. My oh my...

Happy SKIES to ALL
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Watch out everybody! I paid my P3D single licence user 49.95 dollars, not 199! 49.95 is honest for people developping an evolving software!
Nobody is anymore behind FSX, and FSX will get harder and harder to use with the new hardware these next years....

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

francesco.doenz wrote:Dear Charlie,
I use both, FSX and PREPAR3D, on separate computers and must say that with PREPAR3D I do not have any problems, it runs smoother than FSX and I do not have the occasional problems FSX has like black screens once in a while.
I run P3D with addons, photoreal scenery France, Sitzerland, REX, AS2012, FEX, Opus, Traffic 360, Realair Spit.

But anyway, I do not think the question is to know if P3D is better, I think we as a community of flightsimmers have to encourage people who are behind their product by buying it! FSX was and still is a good product, but it is dead, and will never make use of the new hardware, multi GPU,SLI, multicores, hyperthreading...and new softwares!!!
Good for you that your flight sim experiences are good with P3D. I am NOT trying to DISCOURAGE anyone from buying it or trying it. I still do not get any real answers what if anything makesd FSX 'dead' and P3D the way of the future. If I can see DATA or EVIDENCE then $199 is nothing. BUT I do not throw my $$ away on vagueness and subjective claims by anyone..w/o HARD DATA. What you seem to advvocate is PRE-PURCHASE loyality!! You are incorrect about FSX and SLI etc..THOUSANDS of FSX boxes have all that new stuff you claim is not FSX compatible.
FSX is smooth as Tara Emory's bottom. I just landed from a PAKT to CZST night flight with my FSX 'dead' sim. C'mon..are you selling SUNSHINE here or what? Where's the DATA?

Happy SKIES to ALL

ImageImage
Image Image

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

francesco.doenz wrote:Watch out everybody! I paid my P3D single licence user 49.95 dollars, not 199! 49.95 is honest for people developping an evolving software!
Nobody is anymore behind FSX, and FSX will get harder and harder to use with the new hardware these next years....
Maybe when FSX refuses to run..I'll switch sims..So for $49 you get a watermarked scene right?
I choose to not "help develop an evolving software." unless THEY paid ME $49 LOL!! Have a good time developing.

Happy FSX sKIES to ALL

ImageImage
Image Image

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

And to think I was the skeptic and disappointed one in here, year and a half ago :)
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

CharlieP51 wrote:Daryl..are you just a regular FSX enthusiast with nearly 3,000 posts in just these forums alone? Saying P3D is 'easier to get going' and has a better 'feel' is WAY too vague and suspicous-sounding. Here's the kicker 'SLIGHTLY better graphics in SOME areas." Got screenshots? I have seen many side-by-side screenies P3D and FSX and never have seen any noticeable differences. Certainly NOT $199 worth. So what's in it FOR YOU..that you encourage us all to spend $199 for vague alleged improvements? My FSX box runs smoothly month after month..year after year. FS9 was not a headache either. I am an educated person. I am flying FSX..not .mucking about' as some claim. For $199 here in las vegas I can find better 'investment opportunities' than a look-alike FSX sim; especially since for me FSX is a dream to fly. "If it AIN'T BROKE' don't FIX IT.

LASTLY - If P3D is so smooth and 'crash-free' who needs their 'excellent support" at $199? Evidently you have P3D issues eh?
I have not seen a BSOD on any of my Windows boxes since Windows 98. My oh my...

Happy SKIES to ALL

My god, if any company is relying on me for "sales pitch" I pity them. I wouldn't have said that my report on P3D was any sort of inducement to rush out and buy.

I am well know to anyone who has been around here for more than five minutes (most people can even spell my name correctly whilst insulting me...with the possible exception of Amanda, but he only insults me in beta, usually)

If I say "slightly better" it means just that..if some people take "slightly better" to be some sort of suspicious overselling, "give me my commission LM right now", then I can't help that. I speak English, pure and simple. For reference "slightly" is not the same as "HUGELY"

"Easier to get going out of the box" EXACTLY what it says..the software will run without the extensive .cfg tweeking necessary to get it FSX hooting on many systems (my last three systems included, which caused me no end of problems with FSX). Worth $199..TO ME?, Yes, but then I earn better than minimum wage, some may not and it would not be for them.

Yes, I am a casual user when it comes to FSX and or P3D. I prefer to spend my time flying for real, building bits for the Sim and making the Spitfire cockpit more functional, rather than wasting endless hours tweeking config files in a vain attempt to achieve the "Nirvahna" of 30fps and no blurries. Anyone with a right index finger and a mouse can see that the massive bulk of my posts (3000 apparently making me some sort of FSX minor deity who roams the woods at night selling LM products and collecting huge commissions) are in three areas...Spitfire Beta, Spitfire Support and Accusim and the Single Spitfire. These being the only skills I have in the FSX world and which I offer to anyone who can be relatively civil, free of charge. And if you care to search ANY of the major boards on FSX or P3d for "killratio" or "DarrylH" you will see just what a staggering number of posts I make...probably a whole 1 per month on ALL other boards combined.

Oh and yes, I've had a support issue with P3D..I needed to transfer the licence from the machine I bought it on to the NEW machine I got a mere two weeks later. An email in the middle of the night US time was answered in 20 minutes and my user licence reset so that I could do so, no accusation that I may be installing it on a friend's machine or any other illegal purpose, just a request for the "reason" for the reset required.... massive problem with the software, I'm sure... :roll:

I remain sceptical that 2.0 will add any thing of advantage TO ME, and said so...because the other software I run for gauges, lights etc will not automatically run with it, as I believe they are changing the "simmconnect" interface.

So what is in it FOR ME...nothing, nada, sweet Fanny Adams, ?()^ all...from LM or any other company save an except for the pleasure of dealing with the vast majority of people on this A2A board who can put their questions and concerns politely without feeling the need to allege conspiracy or to troll for arguments.

Darryl

Oh Chris, - I - never saw you as sceptical and dissapointed :wink: :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

I am much more to side on the information of someone who has tried something and provides feedback than someone who makes statements with not having any first hand experience on what they are saying.

Not to long ago P3D offered a free one month special to try out the software and I did. I did have a much smoother experience but at the time, many addons werent 100% designed for P3D. Things have changed with more support from addon developers. P3D is on my radar screen and as more developers catch on and new versions are released, my desire to switch will become more. It will be a no brainer for me if P3D releases a new version coded to make more/better use of the current Hardware, what they are saying they are trying to do with v2.0.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by guenseli »

I had P3D the one testing month and bought it later (v1.4) but returned it after few weeks (you have 60 days - how great is that).

It is definitely smoother - and I have installed the same addons with the same settings.

Overall it is an improvement over FSX, at least that this thing will be simply further developed.

The reason I made a refund have been some minor things (I have mostly forgot them), e.g. no starting menu, instead direct load into the flight. That have been just a few little things, but I thought that I'm currently satisfied with FSX and I will have a look again with version 2.0.

Regarding the 150$ version, legal rights with this "no entertainment" software, legal aspects with the academic licence (the "watermark" is not really noticeable): all this is discussed to death on AVSIM.
If someone wants to buy the 150$ version, he could do, but there's no real gain over the academic version as far as I know.
If someone is afraid of a S.W.A.T team sent from LM, because he had fun (entertainment) with P3D, he shouldn't buy it. :wink:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”