Hawker Typhoon Documentary

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Hawker Typhoon Documentary

Post by pilottj »

Here is somthing to watch while we wait for the P-51. :) Found this good documentary on the Hawker Typhoon. Facinating aircraft with its Napier Sabre H-24 engine. Somewhat like the P-47, yet it is a bit more unrecognized. Might be a difficult to accusim such a plane as there are no flying examples left, but it could make a great Aircraft Factory candidate.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexMo-2ZLos[/youtube]

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Re: Hawker Typhoon Documentary

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

Oh man thanks! I love the Typhoon!
Lukas
ImageImage

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

pilottj wrote:Here is somthing to watch while we wait for the P-51. :) Found this good documentary on the Hawker Typhoon. Facinating aircraft with its Napier Sabre H-24 engine. Somewhat like the P-47, yet it is a bit more unrecognized. Might be a difficult to accusim such a plane as there are no flying examples left, but it could make a great Aircraft Factory candidate.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexMo-2ZLos[/youtube]

Cheers
TJ
Although I obviously had no time to watch this yet, it is a very interesting aircraft indeed. However, the Hawker Sea Fury is a development of the Typhoon, and many fly today with R-3350's, R-4360's and the original Birstol Centarus. I would love a Sea Fury in FSX!

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

This could be interesting as an Accu-Sim WWII fighter :-) Just found the video on Youtube and decided to search to see if it had been posted already :-)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

pjc747 wrote:I would love a Sea Fury in FSX!
Good call! Another radial, and the most beautiful radial fighter ever to fly! Carrier ops! Yes, please!

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

My latest model, still under construction.

It's the Airfix 1/24 scale model of the earlier car door type Typhoon. Like the Hurricane, the Typhoon is very much under appreciated for the job it did in WW2, and relatively few were built. I believe the number was about 3,300, and they were all scrapped immediately after the end of the war.

The Napier Sabre engine was unusual in aero engine design in that it could rev about 1,000 rpm higher than any other liquid cooled engine, and made one almighty noise at full revs in a dive.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice video and there is actually a typhoon restoration or two underway.

Bloody nice model too Dogsbody55, the detail looks awesome, shame it'll all be covered? :(

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Interesting film - thanks for the post/bump guys. Just wish I could find the last 30 minutes of it too... :|

And yeah, the Napier Sabre would certainly be a challenge to Accu-Sim. I had a poster of a Tempest V on my bedroom wall when I was a lad and I've had a soft spot for all the Sydney Camm designs ever since.

Nick

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Nice video and there is actually a typhoon restoration or two underway.

Bloody nice model too Dogsbody55, the detail looks awesome, shame it'll all be covered? :(

cheers,
Lewis

No, it won't be covered. The instructions advise that you can't fully detail the engine and fit the cowlings. This is only partly true. Me being me, I decided to test this out for myself, and I have managed to fit the lower cowlings with some modification. This will mean I can vary the display and will make painting easier with much less masking and the possible damage to details when I remove the masking. However, the top cowl won't fit at all, no matter how much I try to thin it. It's a great model and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Glad to hear there's a Typhoon restoration under way. I know there's a Tempest MkV and also a Tempest MkII being restored, but didn't know about the Typhoon. Do you have any details?

Cheers,
Mik
ImageImageImageImage

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Thank you, Tomas. I've book marked the site and will be keeping an eye on it regularly.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I've been keeping a weather eye on both video and restoration site for a while now. I think of all the Airfix kits I built in my youth, the Typhoon was my favourite.

For those interested in the Sea Fury, Flying Stations do one for FSX and now P3D v4. It's not Accu-Sim but pretty good IMO.
A picture in v4.

Steve

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”