Turbo-props, jets?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
badaboom
Senior Airman

Re: Turbo-props, jets?

Post by badaboom »

Thanks for editing your post after my response pjc747. Class Act! :D
Patrick

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Your welcome. I have trouble posting with the words I'm thinking of while simultaniously trying to land a Piper cub on a 150 sand bar.

MustanGrande
Airman First Class

Post by MustanGrande »

If A2A starts looking at turboprops, I'd like to see something like an AN-12.
http://www.operationbrokensilence.org/w ... 07_EGN.jpg

The B-36 was mentioned as well, and it would certainly be interesting to fly something that HUGE.
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bombe ... 73_JPG.jpg

As far as jets go, I'd like to see an F-105 Thunderchief or an F-111 Aardvark, though that's really about as new as I'd like to see A2A go.

I personally prefer my old radials. Something like a C-119 (or an AC-119) would be an excellent candidate for accusim.

Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Post by Sayuuk »

MustanGrande wrote:If A2A starts looking at turboprops, I'd like to see something like an AN-12.

The B-36 was mentioned as well, and it would certainly be interesting to fly something that HUGE.

As far as jets go, I'd like to see an F-105 Thunderchief or an F-111 Aardvark, though that's really about as new as I'd like to see A2A go.

I personally prefer my old radials. Something like a C-119 (or an AC-119) would be an excellent candidate for accusim.
+1 for the AN-12

That'd be something off the beaten Path! =)
ImageImage

ESzczesniak
Airman

Post by ESzczesniak »

Jason210 wrote:...I think it's true to say that modern jets and modern aircraft in general are boring. Once you've seen one modern passenger jet, you've seen them all...
That is just very much one of many opinions. I personally enjoy flying modern aircraft as much as the B-17 and Spitfire. I think you'd find if you moved up to the cockpit, the differences between a 737 and a 767 are akin to those between a Spitfire and a Mustang. They're similar aircraft, but not enough so that you could hop from one cockpit to the other without training.

I guess I'm still not sure what you're looking for outside of a turbo prop or jet. Sure, on the prop size you could make a non-turbo/supercharged aircraft...like the J-3 Piper Cub. You could make multi-engined turboprops...like the B-17G. You could make a whole knew engine...the Jet coming on the F-104 and F-4. Ultimately, there are three types of engines that power aircraft and A2A has made or is making ones with the two common engines. You either have a reciprocating, interrupted combustion, engine like a prop or a continuous combustion engine like a jet. I don't think rocket aircraft have been widespread enough to expect any of those to be made anytime soon. Principally, any engine in these classes work the same. Sure, a turboprop has more dials than a fixed pitch non-turbo prop, but concerns for mixtures, cooling, etc apply to all of them. Same for a jet, high bypass vs low bypass vs afterburning vs non-afterburning all principally do the same thing.

Jason210
Staff Sergeant

Post by Jason210 »

@ESzczesniak

Indeed it is my opinion and one perhaps that was too strongly put :-). When I say I find "modern aircraft boring" what I perhaps should have said is that I find older aircraft (including jets) much more interesting. The subject of modern aircraft was brought up in pjc747's post, and I responded to it, so they have nothing to do with what I was originally discussing, nor what A2A are doing or might be doing.

All I was saying in this thread is that I would like it if A2A made some early jets and turbo-props as well as piston engined aircraft -- and what prompted me to post it was that I see several posters asking for prop aircraft that in my opinion are very similar to existing A2A models. For example, the DC-4. What does it actually offer that is new if you already own the B-17 and B377? In another example, there may be some differences regarding the operation and engine management of a Spitfire and Mustang but not enough to make me want to buy accusimmed versions of both aircraft.

I think A2A have made an excellent range of aircraft and I am looking forward to the F4 Phantom, especially if they accusim it which I hope they will :-)

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional

Jason210
Staff Sergeant

Post by Jason210 »

MustanGrande wrote:If A2A starts looking at turboprops, I'd like to see something like an AN-12.

Thanks. I think a C-119 would be fun - but remember Jimmy Stewart complained about how modern flying in one in the 1965 film "Flight of the the Phoenix"!

The reason I mentioned a B-36 was not just the size, but because the later verions were fitted with four jet engines in addition to six R-4360s. The R4360s drove rear facing props which resultd in less airflow over the cyclinders making them prone to overheating. Fun. Also, they were notoriously unreliable.

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

I seem to be having a week of doing this... :shock:
A beech King Air is too modern for many of our tastes as A2A customers, with the F-4 Phantom really pushing it.
It stopped being your "opinion", when you started using the words "our" and the plural form of "customer". :?

I for one would love to see an AccuSim B200 - a great aircraft!

If A2A did any jet it would be awesome! What I would look for is the finer points of turbojet management, and on the power-plants that don't have FADEC, the very real possibility to flame-out or surge the engines if you abuse the throttle. ;) A DC-9-10 would be very nice, and a bit different. :)

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

maxter
Airman First Class

Post by maxter »

VulcanB2 wrote:I seem to be having a week of doing this... :shock:
I for one would love to see an AccuSim B200 - a great aircraft!
While I fully agree and support this suggestion, I wonder if even A2A can fix the broken turboprop engine in FSX.

Yes indeed an Accusimmed B200 would be awesome and IMHO would be a huge seller.
Core i7 4790 | O/C 4.9 Ghz | 32GB 2xRipjaws-X 16G DDR3-1866 RAM
Gigabyte GTX980| 3 x Phillips 21"
2 V300 240gb SSD RAID OS | 2 x Barracuda 3Tb SATA3 HD's in RAID
Antec P193| Corsair 1000W
Aviation photo gallery http://www.christopherbporter.com

badaboom
Senior Airman

Post by badaboom »

Maxter,I believe A2A could produce a great Turbo-prop.RealAir recently released their Turbine version of the B60 Duke,and overcame a lot of FSX behavior obstacles.

@VulcanB2,You should of read his post before he quickly edited it after my response! :shock: I was shocked at the arrogance. :roll:
Last edited by badaboom on 18 Mar 2011, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick

CALJet
Airman Basic

Post by CALJet »

I still think a P3 Orion would be cool. It's a turboprop, the engines would suit A2A modular philosophy if they wanted to produce a C130, E2 or C2. The engine could even be put into the Boeing 337 Guppy to make it a super guppy which NASA still flies today.

Just my two cents

Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Post by Sayuuk »

@badaboom/CALJet: I agree.

I purchased the Turbine Duke the minute I knew it had been released. Great aircraft, so TurboProps definitely can work, even in FSX.

I really like the idea of the P3. Great plane, very versatile and as you said, might be a good base for some other models, where mostly the exterior would have to be made.
I also like the fact that you could build 2 cockpit versions, both to everyone's liking:

1 - the way it was released
2 - a little more modern, yet not Jet-Glascockpit-modern

This way you could finally add some more systems, navigation-wise that add to you workload. Instead of just having to look outside at one pixelated tree after another ;-)

It's also not that common, something a little more special, very to my liking!!

Stefan
ImageImage

Vam
Airman Basic

Post by Vam »

Why not think way outside the box and make an accusim helicopter? :wink:

I'm an airplane-guy myself, but that would be a cool twist to a2as list of aviation products

Daniel

Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Post by Sayuuk »

Vam wrote:Why not think way outside the box and make an accusim helicopter? :wink:

I'm an airplane-guy myself, but that would be a cool twist to a2as list of aviation products

Daniel
As much as I'd love to try flying with a heli, I think FSX is just not the platform for that.

Take the work an AccuSim package needs and compared to a realistic helicopter in FSX it's still almost nothing.

There's a reason that there are almost no serious products on the market... I think we're gonna have to wait and see if "Flight" is better for this...

edit:
Really, don't get me wrong. I'd love to see... a Seaking or even an Osprey (boy, that with a good FDE and the Tilt done right... =D )

I mean, look at what problems developers face that want to simulate a decent Turboprop, and that's just tweaking existing FSX-models.
Now imagine how hard it would be to build up a new Flight-Dynamic-System from the scratch, because we all know there's nothing there for a helicopter.

I don't know whether this required work can be provided & paid for...
ImageImage

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

An analogue gauge B200 with accusim, accusimmed PT6's and a whole new world of general aviation aircraft are available...

PT6's are all over the place, in many differnt manufacturers' types, from Cessnas to Pilatus...

An interesting one this...

Would still love to see a good old Cessna 172, though... Would fit well with the J3 in my opinion.

Usual story here with such questions: You ask 100 people, you get 100 different answers :)

Andrew
Andrew
i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), ASUS MAXIMUS X Hero, 16Gb RAM
EVGA GTX1070Ti, Win10Pro on Samsung M2 500Gb SSD, P3D V4 on 850 EVO 1Tb
Accusim (P3D): T6/Comanche/Cherokee/Spitfire/P51D Mustang (Civ)/V-Tail Bonanza

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”