Which Classic aircraft should A2A make?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.

What classic aircraft should A2A add to their wings of silver/power hangar???

Poll ended at 11 Mar 2011, 11:31

Spartan Executive
29%
Boeing 317 Stratoliner
16%
Beech Staggerwing
13%
Grumman F8F Bearcat
42%

Total votes: 38

pj_3
Senior Airman

Re: Which Classic aircraft should A2A make?

Post by pj_3 »

...and you're talking about the Junkers Ju52/3, Sean - there was a Ju 52/1 before that - flew for a Canadian company - Canadian Airways Limited - in the thirties. CF-ARM.

http://www.wcam.mb.ca/junkers.html

Not exactly related, but I'll stick it in here, anyway:
My old neighbour was Capt. Wm C. Boyes, dec., - he grew up in that era, later joining CAL in 1937, flying Rapides (on floats) up and down the west coast - Vancouver - Seattle - Victoria- five time as day, He was regularly expected to fly charters wherever - whenever, and we have many photographs of him with "Zeballos Express". 8 - 9 pax at 200 mph - not bad for those days. His other airliners were the Lodestar and Electra, the Dak, Northstars and then Viscounts. He retired as a Senior Captain with Air Canada, after driving DC8's from Toronto to Frankfurt and back, twice a week. We were both members of the local R/C flying club, and great friends. In 1988 I built an 8' span scale model of his Rapide, on skis, later on floats, and I'll tell you - we had lumps in our throats as she became airborne that first flight. He stood next to me, with his wife watching from their living-room window. Time went backwards that day.

[email protected] on EK water, ASUS P8P67 B3 DL; EVGA GTX780; 8 gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" VA926; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80 throttle quadrant; TrackIR5: DX10 only.

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Ya should have mentioned I was talking about the Junkers Ju52/3. I've seen pictures of CF-ARM. Looks pretty sweet. Nice story Pj. Those Rapide's we're pretty cool too. And who doesn't love the Gipsy engines.

pj_3
Senior Airman

Post by pj_3 »

And who doesn't love the Gipsy engines.
You too, eh? :D - Yeah - love affair since the '50's! Eclipsed only by the Merlin!

[email protected] on EK water, ASUS P8P67 B3 DL; EVGA GTX780; 8 gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" VA926; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80 throttle quadrant; TrackIR5: DX10 only.

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Loved them ever since the first time I saw a Chipmunk.

pj_3
Senior Airman

Post by pj_3 »

Air Scouts, Air Training Corps, RAF. Chippies all the way! :D C'mon, Scott! You can do it! Forget that Spartan thing that a certain 'reviewer' keeps pushing!! :D

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Wasn't there only 50 of those things made (Spartan)?

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

The primary design was for an aircraft, with two engines with enough power to fly under the power of one engine safely and be able to reuse the aircraft. The Junkers was a triplane, and the 247 and DC-1 were both twins. The 247 came before the DC-1. Boeing introduced their 247 two months before the DC-1 entered service. Douglas had been designing their DC-1, however they took ques from the 247, and managed to take the DC-1 into a DC-2 and DC-3 with the lessons learned from the 247. The 247 could only be made for United, Boeing's own airline, and the DC-1 and DC-2 were born out of TWA's need for a twin propliner of this design type.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Only 36 SPartan were made, with 22 left in existance. Many were lost as they were impressed into military service during WWII and shot down. Still a wonderful and awesome aircraft. It is teh definition of individuality for a private pilot and aircraft owner.

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

The offical requirements for TWA were:
The specifications called for an all-metal, tri-motored monoplane with a gross weight of 14,000 pounds, a range of 1,000 miles, and a top speed of 185 miles per hour. It also called for a capacity to carry twelve passengers, two pilots, and take off fully loaded on two of the three engines.
If you want the real history of the DC-1.
http://www.dc3history.org/donalddouglas.htm

Include in the design of the DC-1 was Jack Northrop's new wing design that was stronger then the conventional wing used in the Boeing. New NACA cowlings provided better cooling for bigger engines, and were better streamlined, and most important hydraulic landing gear systems with the wheels sticking out for the safety of the passengers in case of a belly landing.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

I never implied that the 247 was better, just like many Boeing products paved the way for the future of flight. the DC-3 is the toughest plane ever made the thing was overbuilt, as all Douglas propliners were, but it utilized thicker aluminum and was built to last forever. I just said it was a neat idea, but indeed the 247 was an important aircraft, but the DC series is something I'd like to see even more.

The Douglas DC-4 DC-6 and DC-7 have been ignored for as long as Flight Simulation's been around, with only inadequate freeware to supplement. These planes were the workhorses of many airliner such as Delta, Eastern, Northwest and United. As well as Pan Am. These aircraft deserve their place in the FS world, as they, during their time, were the workhorses, back-breakers and the ones who never gave up for the airlines. They were just as good looking, fast and hauled as many people as the Lockheeds and Boeings and serve to this date. They were overbuilt, and rugged and I want a DC-6 and DC-7 for FSX! I hope this is acheived by A2A, as it could take the acheivments of past A2A products and elaborate. Even Air Force One was a DC-6 for a time.

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Oh, never was implying that the DC was better, just developed at the same time as the Boeing.

Also Cal-classics has some pretty good FS9 models of the DC4/6/7 that have been imported into FSX with the usual import issues.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

I've tried them but they don't compare to payware. I would love an A2A Accusim DC series but most anything would be good now. I like my Stratocruiser, but I can't say it's prettier than the Constellation.

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

I think I said it before but I'll add it again :twisted: Beech 18!

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

VulcanB2 wrote:I think I said it before but I'll add it again :twisted: Beech 18!
+1 :mrgreen:

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Of the choices given I would go for the Staggerwing for sure, specifically the G17S model. Performancewise it is comparable to a Bonanza. There are a handful still flying so they would be available for accusim measurments.

If this beautiful airplane doesn't scream mile high club I don't know what will LOL...i wonder if that will be an advanced accusim feature... :mrgreen:...better install an optional autoplot then... It would be a nice GA followup and a good airplane to simulate aircraft ownership costs/maintainence with (albiet very expensive costs for such a classic).

How about classic biplanes such as Stearmans, Wacos, Travelairs...etc A Stearman would give the military fans a good trainer and bush country fans a fun back country bird. Stick Heidi in the front seat and she can judge your flying skills...maybe even bail out if she thinks your flying skills stink. 8)

An Accusimed Howard 500 would be pretty damn fun too. A great classic answer for the bizjet fans. Milton Shupe's was great fun in FS9, and his team evidently got a lot of help from the owners of a real bird. FSNorthwest did a very nice job bringing it to FSX but an Accusimmed version would be out of this world.

I know these types of threads are kind of redundant and useless. But speculation is fun anyway. A2A will make whatever they feel like making, and whatever they make will be awesome.

Cheers
TJ

...how bout an Accusimmed Klingon Bird Of Prey
:mrgreen:
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”