Scenery and flight plan.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
severniae
Senior Airman

Scenery and flight plan.

Post by severniae »

Hi All,

Got a couple of quick questions, not strictly about A2A stuff, but I wondered what you guys thought nonetheless.

I've decided to fly my B-17 around europe, and to be honest, have gotten myself a little stuck for ideas on where to go!

I started off just going on a quick jolly ol' flight from Barkston Heath AB (where I base the B-17) up to Aberdeen and back, when it struck me that I really had rather a lot of fuel on board for such a short trip and how lovely a little jaunt around Europe (and then maybe the world!) would be fun! - So I set off for the first airport that comes into my head (in fact the last one I visited IRL). So after a couple of hours flying I set down in Schiphol Airport. After a night spent taking in the sights, I decide its time to move on, but where? To be entirely honest, I don't know the good routes in europe too well, I want to go on some fun flights, with good sights and interesting airports to land in! so - Does anyone have some destinations for me? I'm hoping to travel around most of europe with several stops, then perhaps move on to africs, or asia, who knows! Any suggestions? or perhaps any routes that you've taken that were fun?

Secondly, I was wondering about scenery. I'm currently running on vanilla FSX scenery, and while its very good, I'm getting a little bored of it, it doesn't seem so vibrant. I was wondering what the must have scenery add ons are to spice up the FSX world a little? Plus does anyone know of ones that sort out the smaller airports. I'm not sure if its just me but a lot of them are rather bland, in fact I've noticed that some of them are just little more than a strip in the middle of nowhere, with no taxi ways, hangar, club house or anything!

Anyway, thanks everyone, sorry for the long rambling question!

Thanks,

Sev.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Scenery and flight plan.

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I saw some pay-ware scenery here for Europe.Looks kinda pricey though.A lot of stuff from Aerosoft.

http://www.flightsimstore.com/index.php ... 1614qdlff6

I was checking this out especially because it's where I live in the Pacific Northwest U.S.A.
This is the add on that I want to get.(Covers a good area)
http://fullterrain.com/product_nablue.html

In fact when I saw this page which was their main page
http://fullterrain.com/index.html

I remembered a youtube video in which the terrain looked almost real especially the trees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qKHk78A5w4

It must be this add on
http://fullterrain.com/product_us1S2.html

I am running stock terrain too for FSX so I am considering getting some aftermarket terrain enhancements.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

Steering clear of the `local` scenery addons (as you don't know where you're going, it's hard to suggest the specifics) I would suggest the best update would be Ultimate Terrain X Europe for updated LC and vector graphics (roads, rail and coastlines as well as industrial areas) and Ground Environment X for global textures.

At the `lighter` end of the scale simple landclass adjustment can really change the `look and feel` of the sim and unlike most large-scale addons can be switched on and off mid-flight, just be accessing the scenery menu.

The two best are Cloud 9's XClass (reviewed HERE)
and Scenery Tech Europe Landclass (available from HERE

I have BOTH installed, and switch between them as much for fun as accuracy, but they both do add a lot to the immersion across a large landmass flight for a lot less `footprint` than localised scenery. Personally, as I've never flown over most of the areas in Europe, street level accuracy is actually pretty unimportant compared to the overall look that should show geographical and national differences better than default. A useful feature of both is that they don't concentrate as much on the larger-Autogenned tiles as does the default LC, so you get a reduction in total-number-per-tile which often means you can ramp up the autogen level.
Simon Evans

severniae
Senior Airman

Post by severniae »

Thanks very much for all your replies. I'll take a look at all your suggestions! High detail scenery here I come!!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”