B-29?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CathyH
Senior Airman

B-29?

Post by CathyH »

Why not dfollow th3e B-17 with the other Iconic American bomber, the B-29?
cathy

snave
Staff Sergeant

Re: B-29?

Post by snave »

CathyH wrote:Why not dfollow th3e B-17 with the other Iconic American bomber, the B-29?
Already discussed
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=21615
Simon Evans

svaughn01
Staff Sergeant

Post by svaughn01 »

I think a B29 would be great, But I think I would rather see the B24 first :wink:

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Yes, I would like too see the B-29, but only after the B-24 Accu-sim ( if they make one)
ImageImageImage

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

the b24 is a truck. the b19 and b17 are planes ;-)
Lukas
ImageImage

Warbirdflyer21
Airman

Post by Warbirdflyer21 »

Dude, You really Do not know your WW2 Aircraft do you. A Consulated B-24 is a Four engine bomber just like the B-17, But the B-24 is not Decked out with as many guns, as the B-17 does. The B-24's landing gear is like the TBF- Avenger it goes up toward the tips of the wings.. But other then that I think the B-29 would be Amazing to have in my A2A hanger.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

CathyH
Senior Airman

Post by CathyH »

And "it couldn't carry enough ice to ice a highball" (Ernie Gann on the cargo variant B-24)
cathy

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

Warbirdflyer21 wrote:Dude, You really Do not know your WW2 Aircraft do you. A Consulated B-24 is a Four engine bomber just like the B-17, But the B-24 is not Decked out with as many guns, as the B-17 does. The B-24's landing gear is like the TBF- Avenger it goes up toward the tips of the wings.. But other then that I think the B-29 would be Amazing to have in my A2A hanger.
dude, did you seriously think I thought the b-24 was a truck as in a mac truck??

See skycat's post ;-)
Lukas
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Indeed the B-24 is famously referred to as a truck and as the cartoons of the time show, you always knew a B-24 pilot, his arms were thicker than his legs. :lol:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

hehe oh so true Lewis ;-)
Lukas
ImageImage

CathyH
Senior Airman

Post by CathyH »

MTFDarkEagle wrote:hehe oh so true Lewis ;-)
It was also known as "the box the B-17 came in"
cathy

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

CathyH wrote:
MTFDarkEagle wrote:hehe oh so true Lewis ;-)
It was also known as "the box the B-17 came in"
Hahaha I didn't know that one ;-) That one really made my day! thanks!
Lukas
ImageImage

CathyH
Senior Airman

Post by CathyH »

"The box the B-17 came in"

"The Flying Boxcar"..."The Buzzin' 2 Dozen"

another couple of unkind nicknames

This from Wiki:

Early model Liberators were used as unarmed long-range cargo carriers. They flew between Britain and Egypt (with an extensive detour around Spain over the Atlantic), and they were used in the evacuation of Java in the East Indies. Liberator IIs were converted for this role and were used by the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) for trans-Atlantic services and other various long-range air transportation routes. This version of the Liberator was designated the LB-30A by the USAAF.[11]

In early 1942, a B-24 Liberator that had been damaged in an accident was converted into a cargo transport aircraft by elimination of its transparent nose and the installation of a flat cargo floor. In April 1942, the C-87 Liberator Express transport version of the B-24 entered production at Fort Worth, Texas. The C-87 had a large cargo door, less powerful supercharged engines, no gun turrets, a floor in the bomb bay for freight, and some side windows. The navigator's position was relocated behind the pilot. Early versions were fitted with a single .50 caliber (12.7 mm) Browning machine gun in their tails, and a few C-87s were also equipped with two .50 caliber (12.7 mm) fixed machine guns in their noses, operable by the pilot, though these were eventually removed. A more elaborate VIP transport, the C-87A, was also built in small numbers.

The C-87 was also designated the RY-2 or Liberator Cargo VII. The U.S. produced about 300 C-87s but they were still important in the Army Air Force's heavy airlift operations. The C-87 flew in many theaters of war, including much hazardous duty in flights from Labrador to Greenland and Iceland in the North Atlantic. This airplane proved to be quite vulnerable to icing conditions, and was prone to fall into a spin with even small amounts of ice accumulated onto its Davis wing.

In the China Burma India Theater (CBI), the C-87 was used to airlift cargo and fuel over the Hump (the Himalayas) from India to China. The C-87 was not very popular with either the military or the civilian aircrews assigned to fly them. This airplane had the distressing habit of losing all cockpit electrical power on take-off or at landings, while its engine power and reliability with the less-powerful superchargers often left much to be desired. This airplane had been designed to be a bomber that dropped its loads while airborne. Thus, the C-87's nose landing gear was not designed for landing with a heavy load, and frequently it collapsed from the stress. Fuel leaks from the transport's hastily modified fuel system were an all-too-common occurrence. In his autobiography, Fate is the Hunter, the writer Ernest K. Gann reported that, while flying air cargo in India, he barely avoided crashing a severely overloaded C-87 into the Taj Mahal. As soon as Douglas C-54 transports became available, the C-87s were rapidly phased out of combat zone service.

The USAAF also converted 218 B-24Ds and B-24Es into C-109 tankers. These tankers were used in all wartime theaters, but they were most heavily employed transporting fuel in the CBI theater. C-109s flew from India to B-29 bases in China. With all of their armor and armament removed to save weight, a C-109 could carry almost 2,905 gal (11,000 l) of fuel, over 22,000 lb (10,000 kg). However, whereas a combat-loaded B-24 could safely take off with room to spare from a 6,000 ft (1,800 m) runway, a loaded C-109 required every foot of such a runway to break ground, and crashes on take-off were not uncommon. With its forward fuel tank filled to capacity, the C-109 tanker version also proved to be longitudinally unstable while airborne.

The B-24 bombers were also extensively used in the Pacific area after the end of World War II to transport cargo and supplies during the rebuilding of Japan, China, and the Philippines.

In addition, a large number of unmodified B-24 bombers were pressed into cargo transportation duties. Qantas Empire Airways used Liberators on the Perth to Colombo route, which was at the time the longest non-stop airline route in the world at 3,580 mi (5,761 km), until they were replaced by Avro Lancastrians.
cathy

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

It was also commonly known that the Consolidated B-24 Liberator, handled like a truck in the air. It didn't seem to have the gracefulness of the B-17.
Snuffy

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”