B-29?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: B-29?

Post by CAPFlyer »

CathyH wrote:In early 1942, a B-24 Liberator that had been damaged in an accident was converted into a cargo transport aircraft by elimination of its transparent nose and the installation of a flat cargo floor. In April 1942, the C-87 Liberator Express transport version of the B-24 entered production at Fort Worth, Texas. The C-87 had a large cargo door, less powerful supercharged engines, no gun turrets, a floor in the bomb bay for freight, and some side windows. The navigator's position was relocated behind the pilot. Early versions were fitted with a single .50 caliber (12.7 mm) Browning machine gun in their tails, and a few C-87s were also equipped with two .50 caliber (12.7 mm) fixed machine guns in their noses, operable by the pilot, though these were eventually removed. A more elaborate VIP transport, the C-87A, was also built in small numbers.
Wiki got it close, but here's the real story.

The B-24 referenced was an LB-30B (B-24A), AM927. It crashed in July 1941, not 1942 and was modified into a transport hack for the company. It was later modified (after the C-87 entered production) to more closely fit the C-87 design with the longer D-model nose and later engines. The first C-87 was a B-24D that crashed in 1943 that used lessons learned from the conversion of AM927 as the basis of its modifications. After the war it was sold to Continental Can who used it as a VIP transport and then was sold to the Mexican mining firm PEMEX for the same purpose. It was then purchased in 1969 by the (then) Confederate Air Force, restored partially into a B-24D and renamed "Diamond Lil", a B-24D that served in Africa. In the winter 2006/2007, Gary Austin, crew chief for the airplane, undertook a major project to begin the process of returning AM927 back closer to her delivery B-24A configuration. As part of that, the aircraft was renamed "Ol '927", the name given to the airplane by those whom saw the airplane at its many stateside stops during the war. The aircraft is the oldest continuously flying aircraft known to exist in the world (having never been fully restored since returning to flight after her accident in 1941, only being modified during normal off-season winter maintenance periods), and is the oldest B-24 still in existence, only the 18th B-24A ever built (7 additional YB-24's were built, of which 6 were converted to LB-30A's that were to have been delivered to the French prior to their surrender).

Additional information on this unique aircraft can be found here - http://www.cafb29b24.org/a/B-24-History.htm

CathyH
Senior Airman

Post by CathyH »

Snuffy_Hadden wrote:It was also commonly known that the Consolidated B-24 Liberator, handled like a truck in the air. It didn't seem to have the gracefulness of the B-17.
It was also fragile and the "Davis" wing, which was supposed to improve performance did not. In fact it tended to be very prone to icing (hence Ernie's comment). There was only one entry and exit hatch--at the rear, which was not helpful if the ship was hit. The wing seemed to be a common failure point, and the engines caused lots of problems. I recently read a very interesting article by a former RAF Air Ferry Command pilot who got stuck ferrying a b-24 from Lossiemouth, Scotland. The first plane had to abort and land at an airfield in the north of England. He and his crew went back to Lossiemouth. The second plane blew an engine on takeoff and had to abort. Two days later it took off only to lose the same engine in fl;ight and land at another base. he finally managed to ferry the third one!

The one thing I like about the cockpit layout is that the C1 autopilot is place on the main panel where you can see it, rather than at the base of the pedestal
cathy

Somethingfake
Senior Airman

Post by Somethingfake »

Might be a truck, but the B-24 is a beautiful truck.
Image Image Image

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

Somethingfake wrote:Might be a truck, but the B-24 is a beautiful truck.
Hehe I never denied that ;-) I sort of like it :-) Can't tell you why, because on the other hand I find it CATASTROPHICALLY ugly :-P

you know what I mean?
Lukas
ImageImage

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Personally I would like to see the B-24 before the B-29. My dad worked on the B-29s in WWII; but my uncle Bob (Flight Engineer) died on a B-24M (44-41995) on May 12, 1945. That makes both of these planes very special to me. The B-24 may be ugly; but more B-24s were built than any other allied heavy bomber in WWII. I would love to recreate the flight of my uncles ill fated B-24 if possible.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :)

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I would like the B-24 as well just like Cliff.
By the way Cliff I have a picture for you of McChord Air Force Base in 1940.
Look at this early B-17
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Son of B-17 Pilot

Great old pic of B-17 at McChord AFB. Thanks.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer 8)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”