FSX Not Responding----Possible Fix

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Scherzo
Airman

FSX Not Responding----Possible Fix

Post by Scherzo »

For those that might run into a "Microsoft Flight Simulator Not Responding", this might be a fix for you.
For some reason my FSX had an APPCRASH and wouldn't start. After several days of total flustration with repairing, uninstalling & reinstalling FSX, making suggested registry fixes and removing all 3rd party software, the best I could get was a "Not Responding". I happened upon a thread in another forum about this problem. Apparently the new installation creates a new Logbook.bin file, and then can not choose which one to use, so FSX just hangs. ALL I had to do was rename the old Logbook.bin file to something else (I renamed it Logbook1.bin) and FSX started perfectly. I lost all my logged hours, but back to flying my B-17 again. :D This might not be the answer for everyone, but it cured mine. Hope this might help if others run into the same problem.

Rick

snave
Staff Sergeant

Re: FSX Not Responding----Possible Fix

Post by snave »

You can run into similar problems with corrupted files stored `offsite` of the main FS folder in Application Data. Cumulatively they are small files so it makes sense to back up the important ones which contain user-specific stuff like Logbook.bin, scenery .cfg and FSX .cfg (although the system creates a backup FSX.cfg for you anyway) but it is important NOT to just copy those back after a reinstall as if any of those are corrupted you still won't get FS up and running and you may think the problem lies elsewhere.

My advice is always to start a reinstalled FSX at least once before swapping back files, and then do so one at a time so you can verify them individually.
Simon Evans

Scherzo
Airman

Re: FSX Not Responding----Possible Fix

Post by Scherzo »

snave wrote:You can run into similar problems with corrupted files stored `offsite` of the main FS folder in Application Data. Cumulatively they are small files so it makes sense to back up the important ones which contain user-specific stuff like Logbook.bin, scenery .cfg and FSX .cfg (although the system creates a backup FSX.cfg for you anyway) but it is important NOT to just copy those back after a reinstall as if any of those are corrupted you still won't get FS up and running and you may think the problem lies elsewhere.

My advice is always to start a reinstalled FSX at least once before swapping back files, and then do so one at a time so you can verify them individually.
Good points Simon. Will try to remember this if it happens again.

Rick

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”