How to upgrade from standard to delux FSX

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
marklaur
Staff Sergeant

How to upgrade from standard to delux FSX

Post by marklaur »

Hi,
I was given FSX standard version as a present by the family. Today Game Australia was selling the delux version for $25.00 so I thought I would upgrade even though I am happy with what I have.

Problem is it will not install over the top, and I have too many addons to warrant a complete reinstall for probably what will be minimal extras right now.

I do have a second PC so I quess I could install on that one and copy over the missing files.

If that can be done can someone tell me what directories I need to copy over to convert to delux version.

I do not mind if it screws the activation as I gather I can just reactivate as delux version with the new code. Well I hope so anyway.

If it comes to it I could just wait till the time comes for a reinstall, but being impatient I would like to upgrade in the meantime if I can as I think there is a better tube liner in the delux version and I do not have a good tube liner yet.

Cheers MarkL

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: How to upgrade from standard to delux FSX

Post by Skycat »

I think you are correct that Deluxe can't be installed directly over Standard. "Acceleration" can though, as it is an add-on for either version of FSX, and I think dollar for dollar it was a better upgrade for FSX users than Standard to Deluxe is. If you still have a choice to return Deluxe and get Acceleration instead, it is worth considering IMO. Link to article that explains Standard vs. Deluxe. * No new tube liners*

If you decide the extras of Deluxe are worth your time, you'll have to approach it as a completely new install. You've mentioned the second computer; have you tried simply installing to a different area of your hard drive on your primary computer? (ie, customizing the path as C:/Flight Simulator X instead of default path of C:/Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X) That would make it simpler to either copy items from the old install over to the new or to reinstall addons from downloaded executables. The only drawback I can think of right now is that both installs might want to share a common location for the log book files and preferred game settings --you might lose all your saved information.

After that, since you haven't said what kind of addons you are using it is difficult to advise what you need to copy over. Most airplanes have all of their files in the Sim Objects folder but may have additional files in the Guages and the Effects folders; you can usually just copy these over to the new FSX. A2A Simulations aircraft (and possibly some of your other payware aircraft) are registered in your directory, so simply reinstalling won't be possible, I don't think. Additionally, the AccuSim packs create additional folders and files in your FSX directory and it may be difficult to find them all. Terrain addons (ie, Ultimate Terrain, GEX) are also often registered in your directory, plus create additional files within the FSX directory; most components are saved in the Scenery folder though. The safest solution is to uninstall from the old location and then reinstall to the new FSX. Payware sceneries like airports are usually self-installing and sometimes are in your registry; these might be tricky to simply copy over so a reinstall would be best.
Last edited by Skycat on 18 Apr 2010, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

... Or, if you get both versions installed to the same computer, you could just try copy+pasting everything in the old FSX directory directly into the new FSX directory and see what happens. That way you won't lose the Standard version you are already satisfied with.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

marklaur
Staff Sergeant

Post by marklaur »

Thanks for the replies, and the link the the article.

Unfortunately FSX Delux will only install if I first uninstall the existing version.

Since it gives me * No new tube liners* my main reason no longer holds, I may just wait to the time for a reinstall.

The only reason I got the delux version was it was so cheap, not worth returning. I often have two sets of disks for a game I want to keep in case one set gets damaged, so no loss there. I will get acceleration as well though.

I found with FS2004 I needed to do a reinstall just about every year and only reinstall the addons I end up using. I must admit most of my FSX freeware does not get used now so I probably would not miss most of it.

Cheers MarkL

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Yes, I know what you mean about the constant reinstalling of FS2004. I've been fortunate with FSX though, and I've only had to rebuild from scratch only once, and that was because my first harddrive completely died.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

Easy to do.

1: Rename default FSX folder
2: Remove Registry enty for FSX - use a registry editor for this or do it manually.

3: Install Deluxe version to same place as old version

4: Copy back any and all folders containing your addons

Only difference in `core files` between standard and deluxe are additional aircraft and associated files. Your addons should be unaffected.
Simon Evans

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”