Improved Speed and Graphics

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Freedom5
Airman First Class

Improved Speed and Graphics

Post by Freedom5 »

I read an article in PC Pilot ( and believe I saw it once before on the Forum) about Ultimate Defrag that not only defrags your hard drive but moves all of the files to the outside of the disk which has a higher rotation speed. I thought I would give it a try and found that it really works! By speeding up the access to the graphics it has really improved them.

The initial realignment took quite awhile as it not only did the defrag but moved all of the files to the outside of the drive. Once done, it doesn't take much time to run. The program also depicts the hard drive in colors so you can see the amount of fragmentation where the files are located.

Just thought I would pass this along. I also bought a new monitor which has 50,000:1 contrast ratio which no doubtedly has also helped.

Freedom5

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Re: Improved Speed and Graphics

Post by mountainhighair »

Thanks Freedom! I just did a search and found that many sites give it away as a free download, however some ask for your name and info. This site doesn't ask for anything:
http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/ul ... efrag.html

I'm also going to ask my brother about it before I run it. He's an IT guru and probably knows about it already and has some tips to give. I'll reply after trying it out...

Freedom5
Airman First Class

Post by Freedom5 »

mountainhighair wrote:Thanks Freedom! I just did a search and found that many sites give it away as a free download, however some ask for your name and info. This site doesn't ask for anything:

I'm also going to ask my brother about it before I run it. He's an IT guru and probably knows about it already and has some tips to give. I'll reply after trying it out...
I have been using it for almost a month now and haven't had any problems. All of my programs run at a faster speed. With it , I have increased my frame rate for Fx to "unlimited".

Freedom5

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

FSX has always run better on unlimited, so you can't be sure how much improvement is because of UD.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

To be honest I severely doubt that UD will have a significant impact on framerates. Framerates are primarily dependend on CPU performance and secondly on graphics card performance. Disk access is mainly responsible for stutters during reload of graphical items such as textures etc. I have run several tests also with 10'000 RPM disks and found no significant improvement. Don't forget that UD - apart from a common defrag - just increases the native read process for ONE cluster. All the rest e.g. access time is hardware (diskdrive) dependend and not influenced by UD. While stutters might be reduced to a certain extent in my opinion the rest remains wishful thinking and maybe partly a placebo effect 8) :lol:

Oskar

Freedom5
Airman First Class

Post by Freedom5 »

It may be a placebo - but I'm happy with the results. I took a couple of shots flying actual weather from Austin, Texas to Ruidoso, New Mexico. I was at 10,000 feet and the terrain still looked sharp to me.

Freedom5

Hob
Airman Basic

Post by Hob »

I want to support the post of Freedom5. I also purchased Ultimate Defrag 3 Weeks ago and made the same experience. Much sharper textures, higher framerates and faster loading times of FSX.

Similar like lonewulf47 I had doubts if UD works as promoted by PC Aviator. This mainly because I run FSX on a high end system (i7 920 OC to 3,5 GHZ / 12 GB RAM / Nvidea GTX 285 OC / Vista 64 bit) - and I defragmented my system regularely. But I was really astounished about the improvement!

And for everyone who runs FSX on a more slender system: I testet UD also on my formerly System (Dual core 6400 with 2,13 GHZ / 2 GB RAM / Nvidea GeForce 7650 GS / Vista 32 bit) with the same result. FSX runs in every aspekt better than before! :D

Regards from Germany and hopefully we see very soon new birds from A2A.

Freedom5
Airman First Class

Post by Freedom5 »

Hob wrote:I want to support the post of Freedom5. I also purchased Ultimate Defrag 3 Weeks ago and made the same experience. Much sharper textures, higher framerates and faster loading times of FSX.

Similar like lonewulf47 I had doubts if UD works as promoted by PC Aviator. This mainly because I run FSX on a high end system (i7 920 OC to 3,5 GHZ / 12 GB RAM / Nvidea GTX 285 OC / Vista 64 bit) - and I defragmented my system regularely. But I was really astounished about the improvement!

And for everyone who runs FSX on a more slender system: I testet UD also on my formerly System (Dual core 6400 with 2,13 GHZ / 2 GB RAM / Nvidea GeForce 7650 GS / Vista 32 bit) with the same result. FSX runs in every aspekt better than before! :D

Regards from Germany and hopefully we see very soon new birds from A2A.
Thanks for the support. I tried several different things to improve the graphics and this has been the best so far. It has also speeded up my other programs.

P.S. I was at Ramstein last May. You have a lot of beautiful countryside there.

Freedom5

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

Ultimate Defrag installed and initialized fine on my XP sytem computer.

On my HP Pavilion with Vista 64 it could not initialize and gave error 42(IBM)
Disk Trix support told of knowing some systems will have this problem and it
is being investigated. It happens when UD does not set it to Administration privileges.

To fix the problem:
Go Ultimat Defrag in program files
Select UDefrag.exe and right click on it and select Run As Administrator.
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942
Obergefreiter und Flugzeugfuehrer 1944[img]

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

mountainhighair wrote:Thanks Freedom! I just did a search and found that many sites give it away as a free download, however some ask for your name and info. This site doesn't ask for anything:
I went to that site and my Norton SafeWeb went nuts! It reports the site as 'unsafe' and says there are 43 total threats: 14 viruses; 28 spyware; and 1 adware.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”