Great Cub videos!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
skunker
Senior Airman

Great Cub videos!

Post by skunker »

Scott, excellent job on the videos. I have 23 hours in a Cub and it's exactly like the real thing. Very glad you could get the hand propping element into it. Can't wait to buy it.

Some questions:

1.) Can you spin the Cub? The default Cub in FSX is kind of impossible.

2.) Does the fuel cork sink into the gas tank as gas becomes scarce?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Great Cub videos!

Post by Scott - A2A »

We almost completed the stall characteristics. Once this is done, we'll work on the spins.

Yes, the fuel rod bobs with the fuel in the tank. Look closely at the 2nd video.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

Scott - A2A wrote:
Yes, the fuel rod bobs with the fuel in the tank. Look closely at the 2nd video.

Scott.
I noticed that. What I was wondering was whether the rod goes into the tank after the fuel is gone?

The reason I ask is because fuel exhaustion is probably the #1 cause (or one of the top causes) of accidents. I'd like to get some practice watching the fuel.

Either way, thanks!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

"I noticed that. What I was wondering was whether the rod goes into the tank after the fuel is gone?"

Absolutely, the rod behaves just like the real thing.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

skunker wrote:Scott, excellent job on the videos. I have 23 hours in a Cub and it's exactly like the real thing. Very glad you could get the hand propping element into it. Can't wait to buy it.

Some questions:

1.) Can you spin the Cub? The default Cub in FSX is kind of impossible.
While working on the FSX Beta, I discovered the aileron/rudder coupling in bank was actually reversed in FS9 and carried over into FSX. What this meant was that if a yaw was introduced on one of the default aircraft using just rudder, the normal couple as the outside wing's arc in yaw produced a higher angle of attack than the inside wing SHOULD have been what's called in the flight test community a complimentary yaw bank couple which SHOULD have produced a normal turn as bank coupled with the yaw and coordinated out.
What was actually happening was a reverse couple causing turn in the opposite direction. VERY bad for spin dynamics :-))
Microsoft corrected after the bug report by finding a negative/plus transition error in their code, so the release J3 in FSX should be a bit better than the FS9 version.
I was never really enamored with Microsoft's spin aerodynamics to begin with :-))

For the actual J3, the stall is quite clean. Two things are necessary for proper spin dynamics. You need stall, and you need a yaw input at stall. The J3 will spin very well out of either a 1g stall or an accelerated stall either from level flight or in a bank coordinated or uncoordinated. The airplane stalls clean and the rudder supplies ample yaw to produce normal spin. The J3 will stabilize quickly into normal spin as the aircraft finds it's normal spin axis. Recovery is quite fast and normal; usually within 1 to 1.5 turns as angle of attack is reduced and opposite rudder applied.
All in all, the J3 is an honest airplane with really good stall and spin dynamics.
Dudley Henriques

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

Thanks for the feedback. I will do some testing today:)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”