Cecil Field Airshow 09 Photos

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Cecil Field Airshow 09 Photos

Post by Roadburner426 »

Just got home from the Cecil airshow today. More GA planes than anything but did see a bunch of Cub's, a few P-51's, and the Collings Foundation F4U Corsair. Unfortunately I did not get to see the Corsair up close since it was part of the flight display and they had it sectioned off from the rest of the planes. :( Was still a fun day though. Just blazing hot, hopefully I didn't get burned. Normally I am unimpressed by the Cub, but after seeing the "Alabama Boys" do some stunts with their Cub, and land it on top of a moving Dodge Ram pickup truck I must say I was quite impressed. Seems to fly very well even at the verge of stalling. Looking at the videos Scott has posted I figured the aircraft wouldn't be capable of acrobatics at all. Guess it goes to show that just because the airplane wasn't designed as a fighter doesn't mean it isn't manueverable or fun to fly.

Last edited by Roadburner426 on 18 Apr 2009, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Re: Cecil Field Airshow 09 Photos

Post by Roadburner426 »

Some of the P-51's that were there.

DC-3 or C-47 I think, it had passenger seats in it so I don't think it was a C-47

More Cubs

Cub on the top of the Dodge Ram, I still can't believe they landed it on that pickup truck.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Finally the Collings foundation Vought F4U Corsair and a Legacy F/A-18 Hornet for the legacy flight of the airshow and one of the F4U taxiing afterwards.

S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Wonderful pictures!
I am impressed with any aircraft.
Honestly I wish I even had my own ultralight aircraft.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Looks like you had fun. Great photos
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

skytrain90
Airman

Post by skytrain90 »

nice photos
it always amazes me at how simple those cubs are
as for the dc-3/c-47 it could be either one, it all depends on when it was built and what it says on the certificate
and the pilots of those things can be picky about what you call it too, back when i was learning to fly a guy pulled up in one and was pretty offended when someone called it dc-3 because on its certificate its a c-47
proud owner of 377 w/accusim and p-47 w/accusim

Chief1942
Airman Basic

Post by Chief1942 »

Thanks for the pics. The last time I saw NAS Cecil Field was in October 1962. I was attached to VMA-121, a Marine A-4 squadron set up to wreak havoc on Fidel. Am always astonished when I think just how fast the time has flown by. As I recall, Florida is the flatest place I have ever seen and it rained a lot :lol:

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The aircraft is a C-47. It's owned and operated by the Cavanaugh Flight Museum (http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/Skytrain.htm).

From the website -
The C-47 on display at the Museum S/N 43-15935 was delivered to the USAAF on May 29th 1944, and served in the 7th Air Force in Manila. It was then transferred to the 20th Air Force, 7th Fighter Command based at Northwest Field, Guam. It is painted in D-Day military transport colors.
Many C-47's had airline-style interiors on them when not being used in combat operations. This aircraft is configured as such.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Thanks for the info. It wasn't the factory airline interior. It had almost what reminded me of a commercial jet seating, with a modern stereo and entertainment system in the ceiling. Was not what I expected when I walked up to it. You're welcome for the pictures Chief. I've been stationed on NS Mayport for 6 years now and that was the first time I ever went to Cecil Field. Definately is a lot larger with more hangars/runways. We just have our small row of hangars and runway 5/23 out front. Was somewhat disappointed the rest of the Collings Foundations aircraft wasn't there. I seen their B-24 and B-17 on a stop over in Savannah bringing a H-60 back from MCAS Cherry Point. Then they made some announcement about the Glacier Girl P-38F but there was no sign of her anywhere. That is the one aircraft I am dying to see in person. The P-51's make a lot of racket on their own, can only imagine the P-38 with the twin Allison's and the turbo chargers.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”