New / Upgraded forum

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

New / Upgraded forum

Post by Scott - A2A »

Just a heads up, we just upgraded our forum software and we're still making little changes here and there, so if some things appear funky, it's just us messing about.

Thank you,
Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: New forum

Post by stalkervision »

I'm confused with the change but I will get over it.. :)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Well, we want this to be everything the prior forum was and more, so if there is anything about this you don't like or think can be better, please feel free to let us know while where in here doing the installation.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Hylander_1715
Technical Sergeant

Post by Hylander_1715 »

Caught me by suprise is all, but it's a pleasant one!

Lookin' good there guys!
Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Prem. SP1
nForce 780i mobo
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU QX9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
FSB 1333
8096MB OCZ SLI Ready RAM
DirectX 10
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 x 2 in SLi
Realtek HD Audio 7.1

sguk12
Airman First Class

Post by sguk12 »

Is the search working?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

No not yet. We have to rebuild the search tables tonight when traffic is low.
A2A Simulations Inc.

heinkill
BDG

Re: New / Upgraded forum

Post by heinkill »

Works fine for me, easier to navigate!

Only prob is my login isn't sticking, even though I check the box.

Ciao and good luck with it!

H
Looking for BOB missions, campaigns, and historical resources?

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.com

P/O Percy Prune
Staff Sergeant

Post by P/O Percy Prune »

Hi,

You are now using a different typeface on the 'topics' page.
It is so much harder to read because it is bolder and considerably condensed. The further away from the 'standards' of Times Roman and Helvetica (Arial) the worse the legibility, and I'm afraid this example is rather poor. PLEASE, legibility before style!

Also

On a topic page, where a quote is shown (eg Bloggins wrote) the black bar is far too dark making the grey? words almost invisible. Equally
where a quoted URL is shown in light yellow on a white page and mouseover'd to a red colour - the yellow is virtually invisible (on my screen).
(general pages with grey background do not have a problem, nor do the light yellow on grey (URL's).

Also

Spell check hasn't even heard of the colour 'grey' !

It would be nice if the spell checker understood and accepted UK English spelling. (eg colour) This sim is after all a Brit sim, and from a generation where use of American spelling would be considered crass and stupid. (It often still is, by educated people who still speak the Queen's English) The spell checker also could do with a little education in common computing words eg 'sim'.

Otherwise - good luck with the rebuild :)

P.
Intel 64bit i5 2500, Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3, DDR3 16GB ram, Intel SSD 80GB, WD VelociRaptor 600, Seagate ST500, Gainward ATI Radeon HD4800, Sound Blaster XFi, 1000W PS, W7 Home Premium, Direct X 9.0C,
Saitek Cyborg EVO Force, Saitek Throttle, Saitek Pedals.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Whoa, the NewPost window is colourful!

A couple of things:

1) quoted text:the text colour for the quoted poster's name at the top of the quoted text is illegible, being almost the same colour as the background. And the quoted text block itself has a rather bright background, with dark text, compared to the rest of the page. I suggest a light text on an intermediately dark background, as we had before.

2) this NewPost text window: the text here is black on a (nearly) white background, which is awfully bright after reading the forum. I would suggest again reversing this to light text on a dark background, or at least dimming the background colour a bit more.

borton
BDG

Post by borton »

Ouch! I agree with the legibility comments. I find the new text format very difficult to read but then I am an old fogey!

P/O Percy Prune
Staff Sergeant

There is a glitch.
On the General forum, the three pages of 'New Owner' and the two pages of 'Ruining the Game' although showing as 'No new posts' on the icon column the icons themselves are still showing orange. I have done the 'Mark all Topics Read' but for those multi page topics it does not work.

(They are also blinking for no apparent reason, although they did that before the rebuild - never did work out why some multi page topics blink, whilst others do not!)

Also

I find it annoying that the list of topics starting with 'Stickies' goes seamlessly on into the 'proper' topics. Please would you put a horizontal divider in to separate off the Stickies section as it is similarly separated from the Announcements. Please!

Personally I find that with a whole page taken up with announcements and stickies (which I've read already several times) I have to take another 'click' just to get to the meat of the messages. I do realise (with my previous DTP/web experience) what a b****** it can be laying out a page with all those bits cluttering up the place, and I don't have a solution at present except adding a (sub) page where all the 'archive' topics (older than one month, without having been added to for one month) are kept like 'Best of 2006!' (And maybe name it 'Newbies check HERE!')

btw I know I should volunteer to help but my heath is a bit dodgy (stroke and kidney removed) and I'm not the most reliable of people at present. When I get more settled I will get in touch - promise :)

Good luck!

P.
Intel 64bit i5 2500, Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3, DDR3 16GB ram, Intel SSD 80GB, WD VelociRaptor 600, Seagate ST500, Gainward ATI Radeon HD4800, Sound Blaster XFi, 1000W PS, W7 Home Premium, Direct X 9.0C,

P/O Percy Prune
Staff Sergeant

Much improved grey colour bar and improved typeface readability. Excellent thanks.

P.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Thanks P/O Percy Prune for your input. We're almost there.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Whew! I thought my connection was bad !!! :mrgreen:

Looks good Scott!
Snuffy

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I like the new color choices. Much better. :)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”