B17: The Legend Returns

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Letum
Airman Basic

B17: The Legend Returns

Post by Letum »

Am I right in thinking this project is abandoned / never started?

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

It had a very rough start ... but due to ... ummm ... uncooperative parties, it was abandoned.

The original code and any possible thought of a remake are all rotware.
Snuffy

Letum
Airman Basic

Post by Letum »

"uncooperative parties"?

"Rotware"?

Could you elaborate or is it a can of worms?

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

IF there is a "remake" of the B-17 simulation it will have to be written from the ground up or from scratch if you perfer. It will not be a rework of an existing game.

The owners of the code are happy to let it sit on a shelf and die an inglorious death. Thus the original code becomes rotware.

So, yeah, unfortunately any further discussion about a "remake" is really just whizzin in the wind ...

HOWEVER, I have heard (read) where Scott is determined to build a new simulation involving the heavy bomber campaign of WW2 over occupied Europe. I am waiting.
Snuffy

SimHq.com Tom Cofield
Airman Basic

Post by SimHq.com Tom Cofield »

It would be nice.

B17II was one of the most painful reviews I ever had to write. There was so much right with the title, actually 90% of the game was just beautiful to play. It was the other 10% that just drove me crazy. By todays standards of course it is dated and obsolete but back then it was the shiznit as far as graphics and interactive gameplay.

It could have been soooo good. I would have loved a BOBII style remake of B17II but alas it never came about. If Scott made a new new B-17/24/29/Lancaster/heck I don't care as long as it has more than one engine simulation of the European conflict I would be there.
Thomas S. Cofield
Senior Editor, SimHq.com (semi retired)
www.simhq.com

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Merlin is really cut out well for a B17 simulation. For the past 8 months, we've been developing 'Accusim" for FSX - this is absolute and complete engine management, including turbos, intercoolers, carb temp, CHT, etc. All by the book - the 800 page manual books.

Ideally, if we have a good year, we will take much of this technology and see it in Merlin. This is all very wishful stuff, but is in our minds.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Psssst ....

[Accusim P-47 Thunderbolt]

Who said that? Merlin himself, I think.

:)
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

eif87
Senior Airman

Post by eif87 »

P-47....yummm
"You catch him right smack in the middle of your sights and give him a complete burst. The Brownings go to work, and, brother, when they are working they're not kidding! Eight guns, 1,400 rounds per minute. Figure it out for yourself.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”