Recommendations

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Selbio
Airman Basic

Recommendations

Post by Selbio »

Hello,

I'm in the process of buying an A2A single engine aircraft, but I do not know what to get. I am debating over the C182, the Piper 180 or the Bonanza. Are they all study level? Thanks in advance.

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Re: Recommendations

Post by Blitzer »

Personally I would actually say the Comanche, it not then the Cherokee 180. You cannot really go wrong with A2A to be fair.
I have never quite like the Bonanza as much as I hoped - not a reflection on A2A I think it is just how the aircraft flies.
For something a little different and challenging the T6 Texan is worth a look. :)

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Blitzer wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 05:35 For something a little different and challenging the T6 Texan is worth a look. :)
I second that!!! If only for the ground handling ... which is quite an art!
--
Image--Image

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Are they all study level? Yes, unquestionably. Any one will give you the authentic experience of that plane, and they're each detailed enough to supply hundreds of hours of fun.

As to which one, it depends on the experience you're looking for. The Cherokee is a "basic" aircraft, a practical trainer/tourer in real life. The 182 with its bigger engine and constant speed prop adds another level of performance, and short/rough field landing capability. And the Bonanza, having retractable landing gear, is a go-fast traveller, though I'm with Blitzer in recommending the Comanche in that class. It's more predictable and less quirky than the Bo, and has been the aircraft of choice for a number of record-breaking flights. Sheila Scott flew it around the world twice in the Sixties, and in 1959 Max Conrad flew one nonstop from Casablanca, Morocco to Los Angeles.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I agree with the above recommendations. The Comanche and/or C172 are good aircraft to start out with, especially if you want the walk-around, pre-flight experience. I personally prefer the warbirds and I think the T6 Texan bridges the two lines nicely. The Spitfire is the ultimate 'hands on' single engine aircraft though and has a ton of personality. I had a lot of fun breaking engines when I first started flying it.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Selbio
Airman Basic

Post by Selbio »

Thanks for the advice. Well, I guess I should have waited until the post was approved, but I got the bonanza. I like it, but it is definitely quirky and unpredictable. I still would like to get another one. Not really into the T6. My other other choices will be the Comanche, the Cherokee or the Skylane.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

I fly the C182 the most, with its high wing it's great for sightseeing and for following a visual flight plan and has better avionics. The Comanche is fantastic for longer range flights and the Cherokee is a beautiful sporty plane, both are fun to fly. You can't go wrong with any of the three mentioned, so the real question is what type of flying you do the most.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

T-6 Texan is special and has my vote. Following that, my preferred order is as follows:

Bonanza
Comanche
Cub
Cherokee

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

In the interest of variety and adding to your overall experience, you might add one of the high wing Cessnas to your hangar. Just to add to the chorus…the T6 is a lot of fun and quite challenging in its ground handling characteristics. You won’t go wrong no matter what you choose.😀

Selbio
Airman Basic

Post by Selbio »

Thank you all for the recommendation. So far I have the bonanza and the comanche, I will get the C182 next.

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Selbio wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 22:19 Thank you all for the recommendation. So far I have the bonanza and the comanche, I will get the C182 next.
Hooked already!.... :D

Selbio
Airman Basic

Post by Selbio »

They are good stuff! I have severalk other payware from others, I like them as well, but I find myself flying these more often.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Go old school.

Ant's Tiger Moth first. Or not. :wink:
https://www.antsairplanes.com/tigermothpro.html

Then A2A's Spitfire.

Steve.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I don't know what simulator you are using but if you want to try out a warbird the P-40 is an A2A free bird which is nice to fly.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Oh man, where to begin? I started with the A2A J-3, which I purchased with the separately available Accu-Sim upgrade. This was a long time ago. Hopefully they're sold as a complete package by now. After scaring the total crap out of Heidi (and stranding her on a small island while out on a crazed misadventure in the J-3 on floats), I decided to fly a solo and slightly more badass A2A aircraft, the P-40. I totally fell in love with Army 155. It's the airplane version of my 1950 Harley Panhead chopper. Then I got the Comanche. Then my computer died, taking everything with it. I got a new Jetline, with P3D. Had to re-purchase all my A2A aircraft, starting with the Cub, the P-40, and the Comanche. Now I have the Spitfire, Connie, Bonanza, and the 182. Oh yeah, don't forget the T-6. They all need to be flown often so you don't lose your edge.

But what do you want to do? I recommend that you watch all of Scott's videos on YouTube. Those will help you decide which A2A aircraft are right for you. Then, check out Sim CFI's channel on YouTube to get an appreciation of the total immersion of A2A aircraft. Hey- it's either that or trade in you 401-K for a real Cessna 182.

Here's your best option: Fly an A2A airplane. Start out with a GA, then get a warbird. Fly with the A2A Misfit multiplayer squadron. Then take a beginner rider class and buy a motorcycle. A Harley Sportster or a Honda something.

Keep on rockin' in a free world.
ATB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”