Avro Lancaster – FN.64 Mid Lower Gun Turret

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Avro Lancaster – FN.64 Mid Lower Gun Turret

Post by bladerunner900 »

I learned something new today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV6XjOdGCy4

Steve.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: Avro Lancaster – FN.64 Mid Lower Gun Turret

Post by ClipperLuna »

Neat, lots of detail there. I didn't know the gunner had to view his quarry through a periscope. That raises a question: what was the gunner's overall field of view, and how would he have spotted a fighter coming in from the side or behind wherever the turret was pointed?

I suppose the inevitable comparison is with the ball-turret featured on American bombers. Any idea how they compared?

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

ClipperLuna wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 13:29I suppose the inevitable comparison is with the ball-turret featured on American bombers. Any idea how they compared?
I have no idea. I believe the normal human eye field of view is around 210°. I guess they must have reached a useful compromise, as to not make it too narrow an angle.

Steve.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ClipperLuna wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 13:29 Neat, lots of detail there. I didn't know the gunner had to view his quarry through a periscope. That raises a question: what was the gunner's overall field of view, and how would he have spotted a fighter coming in from the side or behind wherever the turret was pointed?

I suppose the inevitable comparison is with the ball-turret featured on American bombers. Any idea how they compared?
It was not widely used on the Lancaster(If at all in any real numbers operationally) if that's any indication as to its usability, one of those on the drawing board it made sense in reality it didnt. :lol:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Thank you both. From what I gather, lack of ventral protection (like Lewis said, the turret wasn't widely used) made it vulnerable to attacks from aircraft fitted with "Schräge Musik" weapons. I didn't realize what a nasty weapon-system this was until just now. Looks like countering them was quite difficult.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”