P3D5.3 now out

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

P3D5.3 now out

Post by bullfox »

LM has released P3D5.3. Lot's of new features and enhancements to visuals.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Hobart Escin

Re: P3D5.3 now out

Post by Hobart Escin »

Isn't it ironic that Microsoft FS2020's biggest competitor is themselves in the form of P3D, which itself is a legacy Microsoft FSX platform, albeit greatly improved by a developer (Lockheed Martin) who has licensed the software technology from Microsoft. Something to ruminate over the next time you devour a carton of Chicken Mcnuggets in blissful solitude.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Hobart Escin wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 03:47 Isn't it ironic that Microsoft FS2020's biggest competitor is themselves in the form of P3D, which itself is a legacy Microsoft FSX platform, albeit greatly improved by a developer (Lockheed Martin) who has licensed the software technology from Microsoft. Something to ruminate over the next time you devour a carton of Chicken Mcnuggets in blissful solitude.
All great ideas come from someone thinking over a box of chicken mcnuggets.

Also, before anyone installs, take note:
Please be aware that unlike previous version updates both content and scenery are required to be updated with version 5.3.

Bixby
Airman First Class

Post by Bixby »

I recently installed P3D ver 5.2. It was my first installation of p3d ever.

I'm not sure what was meant by "content". So...how is the content and scenery updated before updating to P3D ver. 5.3 As this will be my first update, any tips on the proper procedure would be helpful.

Thanks for any info.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bixby wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 09:49 I recently installed P3D ver 5.2. It was my first installation of p3d ever.

I'm not sure what was meant by "content". So...how is the content and scenery updated before updating to P3D ver. 5.3 As this will be my first update, any tips on the proper procedure would be helpful.

Thanks for any info.
Apparently this is a MAJOR update. LM is recommending a full uninstall of the old versions and then a complete install of the new version. You can still do the update manually but for P3D folks this might be the chance to clean everything out and start fresh with a totally new sim.
Perhaps Lewis or Nick can chime in here with their opinions on this.
Going the clean route would be my option .
Dudley Henriques

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

In the Orbx P3D sub forum there is an old pinned post regarding updating P3D. It makes the comment that the installer can't change anything it didn't install. More research is required.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

In the Orbx P3D sub forum there is an old pinned post regarding updating P3D. It makes the comment that the installer can't change anything it didn't install. More research is required.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I took a quick look around, and as of 09:03 2-Dec-21 it appears that Active Sky has a new download for compatibility with 5.3. Not sure about ORBX yet. Also not sure if my Reality XP GTNs will work with 5.3. And the biggest issue of all, will it work with A2A aircraft?

P3D v5.3 looks enticing on the Lockheed/Martin web site, but I've got a MP flight scheduled for tomorrow, and don't was to mess up my setup until I know that all those add-ons will work.

Seeya
ATB

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

Looks really promising. I’m going to wait a week or two until everyone (ORBX, A2A, etc.) confirm compatibility before I update. Downloading it now though so I’m ready! Glad to see further updates, can’t bring myself to switch to MSFS 2020 with all the $$$$ I have invested in P3D.
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I'm going slow, double checking every step. What I've heard and seen so far looks pretty good. I don't want to screw this up and cause myself extra problems.

Also, sorry for double posting above.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I did a full uninstall/reinstall. My hot take after one flight in VR is that performance seems a little better and distance has more clarity.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

thunderstreak wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 19:33 Looks really promising. I’m going to wait a week or two until everyone (ORBX, A2A, etc.) confirm compatibility before I update. Downloading it now though so I’m ready! Glad to see further updates, can’t bring myself to switch to MSFS 2020 with all the $$$$ I have invested in P3D.
If it helps you any I just installed it and reinstalled all my Orbx as suggested by Nick here. All came out well.
Dudley Henriques

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

OK, the tipping point has been achieved. I just downloaded and installed version 2.5.28.7 of the RealityXP Garmin GTN 750/650 software, which is claimed by RXP to be compatible with Prepar3D v5.3. I'm now ready to download v5.3 from the LM site. Hope it all goes well. Think I'll do it Sunday night, as I've got another MP flight with the A2A Misfit Squadron on Suday morning. Warbirds over the Arabian Peninsula! Most of the guys will be flying Mustangs, but I gotta take my P-40 on this one.

Seeya
ATB

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Everything went smooth for me. I just UN-installed the main P3D program from Control Panel and all the other parts, Client etc. just went with it. I RE-installed to the same place and except for one NON-A2A aircraft, all other add-ons, aircraft and ORBX scenery are still operational. Even my symbolic links have survived.

One airport I have had to bring to the top in Scenery Library was the ACG Duxford one. It could not be moved so I deleted it in the library and RE-added it back. I must have that to run my Spitfires out of. :wink:

Steve

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi Pilots
"Follow the yellow brick road"; below are the clear instructions from Lockheed Martin (of course, AFTER deleting P3D from Control Panel/Programs&Features)

While the uninstaller removes all files that are created by the installer, it does not completely
remove content that was generated during program execution. To completely uninstall
Prepar3D, you must manually delete folders and files that are created during runtime. Please be
sure to back up any changes you have made to any of the files in the folders. Now, please
manually delete the following folders:

• C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 (or the modified install location)
• %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
• %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
• %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files
• %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons

P3D v5.3 installed easily and perfectly on my PC. Then I put back all my Orbx scenery and airports (and UK2000 airports). Then reinstalled best-in-the-world A2A planes. Post bangers and mash supper, just an evening's work; time for beer and a late, short flight. Following day I landed at Orbx/MK-Studios Donegal (EIDL) airport. On landing, the runway realism is stunning; like I was really there. Wow! When you strip everything out and put it back again I realised again how amazing and fantastic all of this is. I'd love to have shown this to Douglas, my Dad; electrical engineer on Comet, Trident and Concorde.

P3D v5.3 runs smoothly and looks great. Absolutely no need to stray from totally stable and optimal quality Lockheed Martin; of course it has to be, and will always be at this standard!

2degC out there, reality that is, so think I'll grab a coffee and down through Ireland and then across to South Wales; a plane with speed and endurance, B for Bonanza or C for Comanche; to B or not to B, that is the question!

Enjoy P3D V5.3 + Orbx + A2A

Rod EGBB (even Piper our cat refuses to stay out)
Last edited by rod55 on 07 Dec 2021, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”