Two Questions

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Two Questions

Post by bullfox »

Due to the recent Orbx sale I bought a lot of scenery for the UK, and have been flying around there in the A2A C182. Its my understand that the Cessna factory is in Wichita, Kansas so I have been wondering how Cessna got their airplanes to the UK? Did they actually ferry them over there, or did they have a production plant over there, or did they take the wings off and just ship then over there on ocean going freighters?

I have a lot of Orbx true Earth scenery. I have been amazed by how many places in the UK on on our west coast have windmill farms for electricity production. To any of you who have recently been flying around in general aviation, are there really that many wind farms out there already?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Re: Two Questions

Post by GrahamP »

I was curious and Googled it. This includes UK wind farms:
https://www.mygridgb.co.uk/map/

I've seen single wind turbines that are not included here though (possibly private ones?? - just guessing here).

EDIT:
Also:
https://www.businesselectricityprices.o ... ine-facts/

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I've worked in manufacturing and we used to ship aerial work platforms all over the world from the USA. We would dismantle as needed and put into containers, which would go by rail to the coast, and by barge to wherever it needed to go in the world. This was the cheapest way to do it. It would then be reassembled at the dealer it was delivered to.

RJordans
Airman Basic

Post by RJordans »

Cessnas are (were?) also build under license in france.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

bullfox wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 21:29 Due to the recent Orbx sale I bought a lot of scenery for the UK, and have been flying around there in the A2A C182. Its my understand that the Cessna factory is in Wichita, Kansas so I have been wondering how Cessna got their airplanes to the UK? Did they actually ferry them over there, or did they have a production plant over there, or did they take the wings off and just ship then over there on ocean going freighters?
Many of the European Cessna singles still around were indeed produced by French company Reims aviation, I think up to around late eighties (though they continued producing I think models based on Cessna twins later IIRC). The French models can be identified by their model numbers with F-prefix, as in, "F172" (basic model being just 172 - of course not C172 on the plate!). They are usually just about identical to their contemporary American-built cousins. A nice exception being FR172 aka "Reims Rocket". It was basically a 172 of the era, but with 210 hp engine, giving it just enough more oomph for it to be interesting and useful, even in configurations such as on floats.

In what comes to American production, I know some examples of both having been shipped (a high-wing Cessna comes apart rather nicely), and flown over. I don't know which has been more common, probably flying.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”