Post-Sim MSFS 2020 Update 5...any updates from A2A?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Post-Sim MSFS 2020 Update 5...any updates from A2A?

Post by MarcE »

Absolutely Mike. I have flown the DC6 for 150h from Europe ziggzagg across Africa, up to Pakistan, Nepal, Tibet, down to Australia and across the Pacific. Now I‘m parked in Jackson Hole and then came SU5. I took the C152 for 2 flights, one in around London to check what the complaints are about and one along the US west coast out of Redding KRDD. I‘m disgusted by what I see. I use TrackIR on a 4K TV screen and the visuals are absolutely terrible compared to even SU4. I had stable 30FPS before and no stutters, 22-27FPS in the DC6, it was okay. I could have saved a bit with a scaling of 80 without any visual disadvantages. But stand now with SU5 I can as well just fly P3D. I have my scenery popping up in front of the cockpit there too but no loading stutters when I move my head. The ground textures are washed out now and the user interface is so broken that I hardly dare to click on something. The mouse is flickering, clickspots sometimes work and sometimes not. I‘m certainly none of those believers who tell everyone that that‘s how Asobo shows us that the xbox version is the only future of the sim, that‘s nonsense. But currently the sim is hardly useable on PC and I don‘t expect Asobo to be able to rule out the problems until SU6. Maybe 7, if this year at all. Aerosoft (Mathijs) has states that SU5 encrypted files that have been accessable before so they have to stop development of their traffic tool. I assume AIG will have huge problems too. Their advantage may be that it doesn‘t matter how many hours it takes as their product is freeware but commercial developers will certainly have to reconsider now. I would not be surprised if some of the highly anticipated devs who have already announced their addons would announce a halt of MSFS development shortly. And be it to put a bit of pressure on Asobo. It‘s certainly a kick in the butt for them that the great partner Aerosoft went to the public with it.

My personal opinion of SU5 is that it‘s an impertinence. Nobody can tell me that they haven‘t been aware of what they did, it‘s not their first game or update. They completely ignored that they have a running PC version and broke it deliberately with a big sim update just to squeeze it into a gaming console that has never been designed to carry a complete and sophisticated flight simulator. XBox’ capabilities are hardly comparable to other consoles and still it shall handle a flight sim which barely runs on multi thousand dollar PC systems. People who have been lied at about release features by probably paid youtubers and instagram „influencers“ and who have upgraded their systems have watched their computers getting old with a sim that has never been optimized for these PCs and now as they have spent another couple of hundreds of dollars/euros on addons and flight controllers they are faced with an update that breaks many of those addons and peripherals. We can hardly expect anything to resolve within the next months, Asobo‘s CURRENT focus is clearly the console. They might stabilize the PC version but they won‘t work on the LOD issues or UI for sure. It‘s the eigth month now, 4 months remaining. My expectation is a proper MSFS2020 in early 2022. I know Asobo‘s roadmap and dev screenshots but they have broken so much that I doubt that they can solve it by their habit of adding new features.

Yes I‘m frustrated, I wholeheartedly admit it. I‘ve planned on A2A aircraft, Comanche, possibly Aerostar, on the NG3, on the ATS Antonov 2, on the Fenix A320. Maybe even a surprise PMDG Jetstream. But right now I‘ve lost all hope for anything good in 2021 in MSFS. Tonight I‘ll finally do some VR AT6 flying again since I’ve finally rules out my P3D stutters and tomorrow I guess I‘ll spend my old and trusty 744 a tank filling 🤑. She hasn‘t crossed the pond for a while now lol.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

To resolve mine, I went and put 90 minutes on the Cub. I’ve switched the yoke for the stick. There are some woefully under used warbirds in my hangar…. :P
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

There is an axiom that lives within the fighter community of most air forces that essentially says the following;
" The quickest way on earth to lose air superiority is to allow bean counters to dictate to the tactical planners that money can be saved by switching from an air superiority fighter design and manufacturing program to a multi-role fighter design effort that will serve both venues".

Actually what the bean counters say is true. Money CAN be saved by taking this course.
The problem is what comes with this logic...........EVERY TIME.............is the loss of air superiority.

Perhaps there is a lesson here?
Dudley Henriques

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Multi role aircraft suffer the possibility of being like flying cars. You get a car that drives like an airplane and an airplane that flies like a car. Its the compromises necessary for multiple roles that loose the performance required for air superiority.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Regarding compromises. There is going to wind up being a split with 2020 between the program being optimized for X Box and being optimized for PCs. Regarding which gets the most emphasis, follow the money. If they think there is enough money in PC flight simming, that branch of MSFS will get the attention and flight model it needs.

Regarding P3D. After years in FSX I bought the components for a new faster computer at the beginning of last year with the idea that my son would come up for the SF Bay Area and we would build it together. Then the virus struck and he could not come up so everything sat until last May. We both never got sick and both got vaccinated this year so he came up and we finally built the machine. I went ahead and installed P3D5.2. Initially my impression was that it was a big improvement over FSX and I got back into simming. But 5.2 was a bit of a disappointment until HF1 came along. It was a massive improvement over 5.2 and it ran really well on my system with the exception that if I ran with frame rates unlimited my 5700xt video card would heat up my computer room so I had to throttle it to 30 fps. Then some new drivers came along. Now the heating problem is much less and I run with most sliders maxed out. Its great! But I still want a faster video card.

My bottom line on the whole thing is that I am still playing around with P3D, improving settings trying out things and adding addons. I am waiting for two things before I try MSFS. Video card prices to come down, and A2A to start producing for MSFS.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Isn't the F-15 a kind of... air superiority fighter as born? Then made a multi-role fighter, an F-15E. Then.... out-superiored by F-22 as an air superiority fighter. And then practically outliving the F-22 as an in-production air superiority fighter as Eagle II, as a multi-role fighter further developed from the F-15E.

Go figure. :mrgreen:

-Esa

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

Like Ron, on a couple of occasions I've reinstalled P3Dv5.2 a couple of times. I even started to re-download X-Plane, but, in the end, uninstalled them. Ron is absolutely correct, there's no turning back. MSFS is it, warts and all.
Thank heavens for the DC-6, and a couple of others. Soon, as well, like the rest of us, I hope to see some A2A aircraft. But, with my main interest in historical aircraft and warbirds, I may have to wait longer than others!
If only there were a certain four-engined heavy bomber made by Avro in the works!!!

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

clarkejw wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 18:02 Like Ron, on a couple of occasions I've reinstalled P3Dv5.2 a couple of times. I even started to re-download X-Plane, but, in the end, uninstalled them. Ron is absolutely correct, there's no turning back. MSFS is it, warts and all.
Thank heavens for the DC-6, and a couple of others. Soon, as well, like the rest of us, I hope to see some A2A aircraft. But, with my main interest in historical aircraft and warbirds, I may have to wait longer than others!
If only there were a certain four-engined heavy bomber made by Avro in the works!!!
Thanks for the back up Clarke. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

clarkejw wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 18:02...If only there were a certain four-engined heavy bomber made by Avro in the works!!!

ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Post by ianfisher 101 »

What is wrong with everyone. Have the P3D versions suddenly become unflyable. We already have the best GA aircraft in the history of flight sim and in v5.2 the most stable platform for years. Just fly the aircraft in P3D and leave MFS to the game console boys. It's great for the community we have choice but A2A and Acusim is way better than pretty pictures out of the window. Just my view of course and I respect anyone who thinks differently.
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

ianfisher 101 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 06:45 What is wrong with everyone. Have the P3D versions suddenly become unflyable. We already have the best GA aircraft in the history of flight sim and in v5.2 the most stable platform for years. Just fly the aircraft in P3D and leave MFS to the game console boys. It's great for the community we have choice but A2A and Acusim is way better than pretty pictures out of the window. Just my view of course and I respect anyone who thinks differently.
It's all about choice mixed in with a dash of preferences. Nothing 'wrong' with anyone. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

As Ron said, it's all about choices. I have the new sim but until I can fly my A2A Warbirds in it, 'awesome' graphics or not, I shan't bother.

Steve.

:wink:
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 03 Aug 2021, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

bullfox wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 12:43 My bottom line on the whole thing is that I am still playing around with P3D, improving settings trying out things and adding addons. I am waiting for two things before I try MSFS. Video card prices to come down, and A2A to start producing for MSFS.
Oh come on. A decent video card can be had now for a paltry $1300 or so US dollars. Quite a steal if you ask me, but then again I happily pay $25 for a small diet coke without ice in a disposable plastic cup at my favorite bar. Never mind about the $400 MSRP when the manufacturer was promoting the card before it was released. I mean, hidden costs creep up on you like this, easily justifying a 3x price hike at the retail level. IF you can get it at all. Supplies are limited! Prices ARE unlimited though, so you can finally quit worrying about all that extra cash cluttering your living room (a problem so many of us face nowadays).

I'm just glad the Delta variant is sweeping through the USA now and things are returning to completely abnormal again. I can only take a normal life for so long!

Rioku
Airman First Class

Post by Rioku »

I am concerned that FS20 goes gold one year ago, and we still know nothing about A2A.

So this, make mi pessimistic, and think that we won´t see any A2A airplane till mid 2.022, thats one more year of waiting.

Waffler11
A2A Mechanic

Post by Waffler11 »

So, this is a wild guess, but I'd be willing to bet that the link here is why A2A has been in a holding pattern: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/im ... ink/442016

If so, that's a VERY good reason to not yet move forward with any add-ons for MSFS. Asobo is being a little bit tightfisted with their stuff. I get it, but there has to be some give and take.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”