I HATE Windows 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: I HATE Windows 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Don't tell me that!!! I've just bought a new PC, so of course it has Windows 10. I'm getting used to it, and I have installed my antivirus, which has turned off Defender. Cortana was turned off on installation.

However, I haven't yet run a flightsim on it. I am, as I type, downloading P3D having just purchased it, so I'm hoping that it all goes smoothly as I install. Let's see if I'm still liking this new set up after I've installed it, but the first thing I'm going to do is set up exceptions in my antivirus. I haven't tried FSX yet either, as I want to install P3D first and get it set up with my Orbx sceneries first. I only have 1 A2A plane for P3D and since I've been through the install process on that, I'm looking forward to clear blue skies there. My controllers are plugged in and calibrated, so every digit is crossed :D

Pray for me, please,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Good luck with Windows 10. :) One thing I really liked about it is that it seems to streamline a lot of the operations I do on a computer. I finally decided I was better off with Windows 10 than trying to find and install a copy of Windows 7.

So far my A2A aircraft that were made for FSX are running in P3D version 2.5, but you probably got version 4.x. Accufeel is also working in v2.5. Prepar3D version 4.x will require P3Dv4 A2A aircraft.

I think you'll like Prepar3D. :)

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Windows 10 here and no issues and actually very very little setup needed too.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

My experience matches Lewis’. I dreaded it when it kept insisting...so I installed it, toned down Cortana as much as possible and haven’t even thought about it since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

As a side note...

people over and over again complain about FSX and P3D being slowed down, stuttering, their addons being blocked because of false positives, controllers don't work properly or are lagging and so on... Most of the time it can easily be traced down to 3rd party anti virus programs that have been purchased for a lot of money. Those AV programs do what? They block programms, they delete parts of the addons, slowing down the computer (Kaspersky is a perfect example for that, Norton too).. blocking, slowing down, deleting.. that's exactly what a virus does. It's up to everyone himself to pay for a virus, but actually win defender is the best security application on the market for windows by now. and it comes with win10 for free. And it is easily to manage. Exclusions work perfectly. Go and purchase expensive AV programs, but the chance is very high, that P3D is hardly to use. AVSIM is full of threads where people recognize, that, as soon as they deinstall their 3rd party "security" they can suddenly use their computers as intended. The PMDG support and FSL support (at least that's where I read the forums) repeatingly tell people to get rid of that stuff and use the defender et voilà... P3D runs free of stutters, crashes and lags.

I used to have Kaspersky with Win7 and FSX and was wondering why I couldn't use A2A airplanes.. The controls had a delay of around half a second. until I found out that Kaspersky checked every signal coming from my yoke, built stutters, peaks or, as one of my personal highlights simply corrupted my weather addon at that time as the wxr download was suspicious to come from an unsafe source. And this program is called an award winner... ;)

typical threats on the internet are filtered very well by win defender. And as long as you use your brain and don't click on links in emails that pretend to confirm your amazon/paypal/whatever account and don't spend your leasure time on ????? or pirate sites you're very safe from trojans and other malware. that's what does the trick to have a clean computer. Not buying strange anti virus programs that claim to find more threats on your storage than others and after they ran nothing works anymore... ^^

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

...win defender is the best security application on the market for windows by now. and it comes with win10 for free.
When I first read that I thought you meant that if you buy Windows Defender you get a free copy of Windows 10. :)

Anti-virus software is a little like religion. People always believe theirs is the best. This applies to Windows Defender as well. Can I "white list" Active Sky Next so I don't get a notice from Windows every time I start it?

If anyone has had any complaints about ESET's NOD32 I'd love to read them, if you have any links. I doubt many people have switched from ESET to BitDefender, but this IS the Internet after all.

Hook

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

My work requires that I have an antivirus on my computer. I chose Webroot because it's pretty unobtrusive. It's using 0.5 Mb memory and 0% CPU in the background right now. Runs a full scan once a day, takes a few seconds. It's never interfered with P3D. Does it work? I have no idea since I never visit weird sites, have AdBlock Plus and NoScript installed in Firefox, and Gmail seems to screen out everything, haven't had junk/spam/phishing emails in years.
Last edited by patful on 24 Sep 2018, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Don't tell me that!!! I've just bought a new PC, so of course it has Windows 10. I'm getting used to it, and I have installed my antivirus, which has turned off Defender. Cortana was turned off on installation.

However, I haven't yet run a flightsim on it. I am, as I type, downloading P3D having just purchased it, so I'm hoping that it all goes smoothly as I install. Let's see if I'm still liking this new set up after I've installed it, but the first thing I'm going to do is set up exceptions in my antivirus. I haven't tried FSX yet either, as I want to install P3D first and get it set up with my Orbx sceneries first. I only have 1 A2A plane for P3D and since I've been through the install process on that, I'm looking forward to clear blue skies there. My controllers are plugged in and calibrated, so every digit is crossed :D

Pray for me, please,
Mike
I wrote that at 1.25am last night, and it's now 11.30am here, and the P3D download is still going. :cry: It fell over sometime during the night, so I've re-started it and it has about an hour and a half to go, if "Microsoft time" is anything to go by. I'm still on ADSL2.

Interesting comments about the 3rd party antivirus issues. Opinion seems to be very much divided about how good Defender is, compared to 3rd party stuff. I only put mine on the new PC because it still has 6 months to go on the license, and I've never had any issues with it (AVG) in my old Win7 set up. The same seems to hold true for the new rig, so far. Let's see what happens. I know a few people, myself included, had some issues during the first A2A Bonanza install, but nothing that bad really. Your comments make for interesting reading and I'll certainly bear them in mind for the future.

Please keep praying :D ,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

I can honestly say that after doing an objective side by side performance comparison, I am personally seeing a 10-15 percent performance increase with P3D v4 running under Windows 7, in addition to much sharper ground texture rendering. Overall smoothness increases very substantially as well, almost as if Windows 7 is facilitating better CPU cycle allocation. Windows 10 is robbing performance, and whether this is due to better driver support for my particular hardware or that Windows 10 is more of resource hog, it's hard to say.

There can be little doubt Windows 10 is a more secure platform in terms of Windows Defender being a better anti-malware integrated solution, but I'm convinced Windows 7 is simply a far superior gaming platform if one is seeking maximum performance. Again, this is all subjective, but 7 is my lucky number as far as I'm concerned. :wink:

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

After a couple of small issues, not Win10 related, I got my P3D up and running and installed the only A2A plane I have for this sim. It runs so much better than FSX. With sliders turned well up, I'm getting 35 to 60 frames per second around Los Angeles and it's smooth with no blurries. My old Win7 64 PC would not run P3D due to lack of space on the C drive on that PC and so I can't comment on which version of Windows is better at running P3D. I'm happy with what I've got now.

As I can afford them, I'll be re-purchasing my A2A planes, starting with the Spitfire. Also looking forward to a P3D P-47, too.

Next step is to load back my Orbx Sceneries. With my download speeds, this will keep me busy for a while... :roll:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by guenseli »

I'm convinced Windows 7 is simply a far superior gaming platform if one is seeking maximum performance.
Then your experience is in opposition to all gamers in the last years. I would tend to say, that no OS was faster and better accepted by gamers then WIN10 because of it's overall performance.

So, don't now where the bottleneck is in your system, but you can't generally blame Win10 not to be a good (gaming) OS. It is just your personal experience and opinion.

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

guenseli wrote:
I'm convinced Windows 7 is simply a far superior gaming platform if one is seeking maximum performance.
Then your experience is in opposition to all gamers in the last years. I would tend to say, that no OS was faster and better accepted by gamers then WIN10 because of it's overall performance.

So, don't now where the bottleneck is in your system, but you can't generally blame Win10 not to be a good (gaming) OS. It is just your personal experience and opinion.
You're obviously jealous of the ultra-smooth, flawless simming experience Windows 7 is affording me or maybe even because of my good looks and the way I charm the ladies at Friday Night Bingo with little to no effort (maybe both). But yep, my own experience is indeed subjective. Personally, I think it has to do more with hardware support and better drivers for Windows 7 that are more compatible with my less than new hardware. P3D v4 runs very smooth under Windows 7, but stutters and blurs under Windows 10 (again, with the same computer hardware as I run under Win 7). Curiously, my CPU cores also seem to be way more balanced with P3D v4 under Win7 than Win10. In Win10, the 0 core is maxxed out while the other three cores barely seem to have any real load at all. In Win7 all of the cores aren't perfectely balanced, but no single core is ever constantly 100 percent maxed as in Win10. Go figure.

When you really think about it too, P3D v4 is still at it's heart a 15 year old simming platform that's been regurgitated over and over. Old code and old OS's might just be better bedfellows in the long run.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”