v.1.07 Details

FirePower for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3
Scott - A2A
A2A General

v.1.07 Details

Post by Scott - A2A »

FirePower v.1.07 Upgrade

NOTE: This update will upgrade any version, including the original FirePower v.1.0 to v.1.07.

v.1.07 is quite an ambitious upgrade. We have tried to make this announcement as comprehensive as we can, with screenshots and descriptions. There are quite a few pictures in this post, so modem users may have to wait a while for all pictures to load.

New Update Process:
The new FirePower v.1.07 Live Update program helps to accommodate the dial-up users, with a better fault-tolerant update process. The updates are all broken into small pieces (in the background), so if the user with a poor connection gets disconnected mid-stream, he or she can just run the update again and automatically resume where the download left off. The update will also remain on the local computer for future use (in the “fpupdate” directory). Shockwave servers have been upgraded to accommodate the highest download demands, including three different ISP’s (Internet Service Providers and web hosting) in the event one goes down, we are still up.

The “BASIC PATCH” includes necessary fixes and improvements to the game, whereas the “ENHANCEMENT PACK" goes beyond essential, including additions like new and enhanced aircraft, visuals, and sound. All you need to do is run the FirePower live update, located in your START MENU / Programs / FirePower for CFS3 directory. This will update any version of FirePower to v.1.07.

For those who wish to manually download the update, it can be downloaded from here (not necessary for US customers):
http://a2asimulations.com/public/update ... eng107.zip

The three big news items for FirePower v.1.07:
1. Super-sonic Ho 229v5 w/ afterburners

2. Re-designed Lancaster

3. Enhanced battlefield environment v.2

In addition to the three items above, all previous updates are included in this update, including the new Wind Tunnel Technology and the Lancaster GS with the Grand Slam bomb. Beyond that, several aircraft have received improved damage modeling, a new texturing process has been applied to many aircraft internals (smoother), B-17 enhanced lighting and textures, various historical corrections, requested fixes, and additions.

Wind Tunnel Technology:
Wind Tunnel Discussion:
http://www.gmxmedia.net/forum/viewtopic ... 96d307bea4

Accelerated Stalls “The Edge” explained:
http://www.gmxmedia.net/forum/viewtopic ... 96d307bea4

Enhanced Battlefield Environment v.2
The Enhanced Battlefield Environment v.2 adds even more battlefield explosive impact. Explosions with various intensity red and white, realistic flashes for almost every explosion and gun blast, make dawn and night time missions full of excitement. Battles rage below in thick battlefield smoke, white flashes, and glowing fires. Aircraft underbelly’s flash white when bombs explode below, cockpits flash and glow, cannon hits on targets, and even various flickering fires include engine fires that glow off the aircraft wings and body. Flak fills the sky like a lightning storm, target strikes light up the sky and surrounding areas, and even cannon hits on your aircraft can light up the area hit, including the cockpit.

v.1.06 to v.1.07 details
Everything is all-inclusive in a single download (all previous downloads have been removed from the web)
New FirePower Certified aircraft - Ho 229v5 with afterburners – nuclear capable
New Lancaster internal canopy including authentic bolt heads, rivets, and handles
FirePower enhanced battlefield environment v.2
Wind Tunnel Technology Upgrade included (more stable auto-pilot too)
FirePower damage model standards updated and several typos found and fixed
Improved damage effects on B-17F, B-17G, and Lancaster
Improved cockpits texturing process applied on B29, Do217M, Do217N, He162, Lancaster, Me334, P40, and Ta154
Improved Ta152C/H external tail section
Aircraft spawn entry dates adjusted to better historical accuracy
Lancaster turrets now include visual panning
Lancaster upper turret can swivel continuously in either direction
Lancaster 15X500Lb load-out corrected
Enhanced lighting effects on Lancaster, B17F, and B17G
Re-calibrated bombsight on Lancaster
Larger warships have increased armor protection
Afterburner visual effect and sound included
ME410 spinner graphics improved
Internal ordinance can no longer be dropped with bomb-bay doors closed on certain planes
More robust multiplayer compatibility (updates multiplayer utility)

FirePower Wind Tunnel Technology Upgrade
(Included in v.1.07)

We're introducing a new process that applies authentic, real-world wind tunnel analysis into the FirePower aircraft development process. Using the latest wind-tunnel technology with our G-View allows the fighter pilot to enter high-G turns and stay just inside of the edge of the flight envelope by simply watching the reticule and responding to the warning signs, unique to each aircraft.

Transitions in and out of controlled flight (stalls and spins) will be smoother and more accurate since the entire wing is being modeled at a much more accurate resolution. Your aircraft will also give you the appropriate feedback, telling you when it is approaching it limit. Ace pilots were the masters of “flying on the edge” for their particular aircraft. This is why some Me109 pilots refused to trade in their planes for the newer, more powerful Fw190. The same applied for some P47 pilots when the new P51’s arrived. They knew their aircraft, and how to squeeze every bit out of it and did not want to lose what they knew best.

Anyone who has become accustomed to a bike, motorcycle, or car should have no problem relating to this. Each aircraft has a personality of its own, and is one you will need to learn, if you ever want to push it to the limit and live to tell the story.

A Me109 ace recently commented how he could use his leading edge slats to pull inside of a Spitfire. His turn resembled an egg shape more than a perfect circle. This pilot swore by this, while other 109 pilots were of the belief that their Me109 could not stay with a Spitfire in a turn, so they avoided the turning fight all together. At the same time, another Me109 pilot feared the American P-38 Ace pilots, who mastered differential throttle and hammerhead maneuvers to get on the tail of his 109 every time. These accounts show that there was a highly, unexplored, mysterious area in each individual aircraft which took time, experience, and skill for a pilot to unlock every aircraft’s true potential.

Like real aircraft, FirePower aircraft allow you the freedom to "pull through" this edge and experience very high, instantaneous forces. Since this is also the place where high-G stalls and snap rolls occur, it is also the most dangerous place to fly, and is where many pilots perished. If you do not wish to push your FirePower aircraft over this “edge,” then you need to keep your speed up and know your aircraft’s limits.

FirePower Certified Aircraft have always modeled this critical pre- and post-stall behavior, and this newly advanced process just builds upon that. Of course, if the fighter you're flying had vicious stall and spin behavior, this, too, will be more accurately modeled. The Me210, for example, has a vicious tendency to flip over without warning to the pilot. The Me410 in FirePower is the successor to the Me210, and also benefits from the improvements the German engineers applied to it, giving it a more gentle stall than it former Me210. For bombers, the new FirePower high-resolution lift curve means enhanced stability and control "feel" as well as more realistic takeoff and landing behavior. The performance of the aircraft receiving this new technology (climb, top speed, roll, etc.) is unchanged. This improved process is about advancing the “feel” of your aircraft to better resemble its real world counterpart.

It's very important to us to stay on the cutting edge of flight model development and bring our customers these enhancements as they become available. We want the Firepower/Combat Flight Simulator 3 experience to be as good as we can make it.

This interim upgrade we are releasing will be included in our next upgrade released in the coming month.

The planes upgraded in this v.1.0 are the heavy bombers, heavy twins, and the Ta152C/H. They also will fly steady under AI pilot control.

I hope everyone enjoys this. We're ready for a vacation.

Scott
Last edited by Scott - A2A on 12 Feb 2005, 12:26, edited 3 times in total.
A2A Simulations Inc.

sspaceguy5
Airman First Class

Post by sspaceguy5 »

The Ho can carry neclear bombs? COOOOOOL!!!!

krosen
Airman Basic

Post by krosen »

since the 1.07 update have there been any additional updates to WOP? :)

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

krosen wrote:since the 1.07 update have there been any additional updates to WOP? :)
Try this thread ... http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... .php?t=274
Snuffy

krosen
Airman Basic

Post by krosen »

Bader40
Airman Basic

Post by Bader40 »

I've just ordered Firepower from Amazon and i was wondering what patches if any i'll need, i've already downloaded patch 1.08 ( from Gamespot...you can't dowload patch 1.07 from there) and after visiting this site i've noticed that a rather hefty patch 1.07 is available.

Will my new game need both patches? i'm still on dial up and 1.07 will take an age to download.

I'm a newbee so i'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum.

dbr_p
Senior Airman

Post by dbr_p »

In the link provided by Snuffy, Scott wrote about upgrade v1.08:
UK versions:
FirePower UK CD’s (in the slim DVD box) need be on v1.07 before applying this upgrade. If you have FirePower and don’t see a “FirePower v.1.07” in the lower right-hand portion of the CFS3 startup screen, then run the latest auto-update in your Windows START menu / Programs /FirePower for CFS3 directory. After this update completes, then run the v.1.07 to v.1.08 upgrade.

US versions:
US CD’s (distributed in the US retail box) already install v.1.07 from the CD, and just need to run this upgrade.
PJD

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

I'm wrong ... See Scott's comment below.

:oops:
Last edited by Snuffy on 27 Jan 2006, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Snuffy

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

No - this isn't true. Typically we include all previous updates in any future updates, but FirePower was the exception.

The UK version of FirePower came out first, and needs to be upgraded to 1.07, then 1.08.

The US version came out later, and the CD is v.1.07, so it only requires the v1.08 patch.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bader40
Airman Basic

Post by Bader40 »

Thanks for the quick reply, i'll use my mates PC to download the patch.

P.S Firepower is quite an old release now,how long will Shockwave update the game through update patches?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We'll continue to support the game as it's still very popular. We don't have any plans to add more updates. The game still looks and plays great.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

rroy
Airman Basic

Re: v.1.07 Details

Post by rroy »

Does the Firepower in Aircraft Powerpack contain Enhanced Battlefield v2? The details given in v1.08.txt within CFS3-Firepower folder -

v.1.07
All-inclusive in a single download (all previous downloads have been removed from the web)
New FirePower Certified aircraft - Ho 229v5 with afterburners and two Virus House atomic bomb load-out
New Lancaster internal canopy including authentic bolt heads, rivets, and handles
Wind Tunnel Technology Upgrade included (more stable auto-pilot too)
FirePower damage model standards updated and several typos found and fixed
Improved damage effects on B-17F, B-17G, and Lancaster
Improved cockpits texturing process applied on B29, Do217M, Do217N, He162, Lancaster, Me334, P40, and Ta154
Improved Ta152C/H external tail section
Aircraft spawn entry dates adjusted to better historical accuracy
Lancaster turrets now include visual panning
Lancaster upper turret can swivel continuously in either direction
Lancaster 14X500Lb load-out corrected
Lancaster shine and glass re-tuned
Re-calibrated bombsight on Lancaster
Larger warships have increased armor protection
Afterburner visual effect and sound included
ME410 spinner graphics improved
Internal ordinance can no longer be dropped with bomb-bay doors closed on certain planes
MISC improved visual effects
Updated Multiplayer Utility

There is no mention of Firepower Enhanced Battlefield v2 although the installation occurs directly to final v1.08. Please clarify.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You are all sorted rroy, no need to install the update.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rroy
Airman Basic

Post by rroy »

Ok,Thanx

dbw
Airman

Post by dbw »

Just bought and downloaded firepower. Does the current download have all the current patches?
Dave

new reply

Return to “FirePower General Discussion”