Windows 10 + patch v4.2 horizon and view issues

new reply
Major Clanger
Airman Basic

Windows 10 + patch v4.2 horizon and view issues

Post by Major Clanger »

Hello All,

I've just reinstalled my much-loved BoB II WoV on my Windows 10 PC with the above patch. It's early days but my only gripe so far is the horizon is being rendered as a jagged line and the aircraft appear a bit stretched/distorted as if viewing through a fish-eye lens. I noticed this happen with the previous Windows 10 v2 patch too although I don't get the same issues when I run the game unpatched and with the old BDG 2.13 patch (or no patch) - I just get the usual crashes. Any advice/tips appreciated!
My system specs are:

Windows 10
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU
AMD FX 8320 CPU
Screen resolution 1280 x 1024 60hz

Like I said, I don't get the same visual issues if I run the game unpatched or with the BDG 2.13 patch, nice graphics and horizon 'fog'.

PV
BDG

Re: Windows 10 + patch v4.2 horizon and view issues

Post by PV »

Hi Major: I'm afraid the horizon appearance may be a feature of the old v2.1 that the win10 patch is based on,
though I'm not certain. But the stretching in external view may be easily adjusted. Basically, BoB2 has two ways
of adjusting the external view: it can control the distance from the aircraft that the virtual viewpoint is
set, and the magnification of that view. The magnification is controlled via the same keys that allow zoom
in internal view, but the viewpoint has an initial setting which was made adjustable from the bdg.txt file.
in later versions. I'm afraid I don't have the win10 patch to check, but I suspect this bdg.txt adjustment is not
available, as we didn't have it in the original v2.1; so you will probably have to make the adjustment using
the zoom keys, once during your session. There may be a bdg.txt variable called

NO_FOV_RESET=OFF

which might preserve your view setting between sessions, but I'm not sure, it may control only your internal view.

Anyway, the adjustment of the external view can be done in a session by playing between the NumPad + and -
keys, and the same keys plus ctrl key simultaneously. To decrease the stretch distortion, you set the virtual viewpoint
location farther from the aircraft, then magnify your view. It is like having a more telephoto lens rather than a fisheye.

The bdg.txt variable for this adjustment, if it exists in that version, is called

External_View_Starting_Distance = 1.500000

but I strongly suspect it isn't available.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Major Clanger this side effect is related to the FOV (Field Of View) lines I edited for you be able to look at spitfire and hurricane mirrors without having to look up everytime, so if you wanna restore default configuration to fix that try the following:

In game main menu go to: Options / Adv. / Field of View

And change the lines:

Maximum Field of View: 110 value for default 80

Initial Field of View: 110 value for default 60

Unfortunately using values above default have this side effect in widescreen resolutions where the horizon corners become distorted ;)
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

donbit1
Airman Basic

Post by donbit1 »

I was very excited to see a win 10 patch for b0bII.
Loaded game on pc from original disk and installed 2.13. Have compatability set to xp sp3 and run as admin.
I have an nvidia gtx 1080 win 10 hp omen system. Played with the resolution settings but seems to no avail.
game is not ctd but on the instant action screen the graphics are "shimmering" and the other weird item is that
the plane will not take off! all my control surfaces are moving the plane rolls i can see the elevator in up position
but it just keeps rolling at full throttle. cannot read instruments because of shimmer. have tried different
joysticks but still the same issue. any help would greatly be appreciated so far this is the only older game i have had a problem with
even running dos games without making any major changes . thanx! [email protected]

Major Clanger
Airman Basic

Post by Major Clanger »

Felizpe - apologies for the severe delay in me replying/thanking you for your reply (2 years!) but your advice fixed my problem. Thank you!
Major Clanger

Felizpe wrote: 18 May 2020, 01:03 Hi Major Clanger this side effect is related to the FOV (Field Of View) lines I edited for you be able to look at spitfire and hurricane mirrors without having to look up everytime, so if you wanna restore default configuration to fix that try the following:

In game main menu go to: Options / Adv. / Field of View

And change the lines:

Maximum Field of View: 110 value for default 80

Initial Field of View: 110 value for default 60

Unfortunately using values above default have this side effect in widescreen resolutions where the horizon corners become distorted ;)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”