Running 2.13 on Windows 10 with no CTD so far

new reply
alexbuko
Airman Basic

Running 2.13 on Windows 10 with no CTD so far

Post by alexbuko »

Hello guys,
I found a solution for running BoB2 in the 2.13 version on my Win10 (64bit) Sony Vaio Laptop running without even one single CTD so far. I tested it in instant missions as well as campaign missions and it worked out fine so far without even one CTD. If you are interested in my system specs please post me a PM.

Here are the steps I took:

In Windows:
1) change the DPI level to 100% maximum - this eliminates the "text - error" (rightclick the windows symbol, then preferences - system - display - user defined scaling)
2) set compatibility mode to Win7 with reduced colors to 16bit and set administrator mode
3) set the desktop resolution in your display properties to a level at about 1200x800 or 1280x720 or similar fitting to your display device (you can experiment going higher upon your desired
resolution stepwise afterwards) and select "scaling mode by aspect ratio" in your display properties with "scaling by GPU" (these are the phrases used in the NVIDIA properties menu on my
system - the phrases may vary depending on your GPU and version)
4) Download and run the small "Large Adress Aware" - program before starting BoB2 - this reduces much of the ingame CTD (running out of memory)

In the Game:
1) disable all videos (short and long) in the bdg.txt
2) disable "multiskins" in the bdg.txt (not sure if this has something to with the crashes, for me it worked)
3) set water detail to "low" (not sure if this has something to with the crashes, for me it worked)
4) use the same screen resolution with 16bit colors you selected in your diplay properties (desktop) for both 3D as well as campaign screen in the graphic menu in the game (or at least as close as
possible - probably you may not find a proper fitting aspect ratio in the suggested resolutions in the campaign screen as it was for me - I selected 1280x800 altough the "clear" resolution would be
1280x720 - but it works anyway); do not set the checkmark at "use desktop screen resolution"
5) pause the game before hitting "alt+x"

With these steps it worked out fine for me and I hope it will for your system, too! Best regards from Austria, fly to live!
Run...Live to Fly,
Fly to Live,
Do or Die!

McMick
Technical Sergeant

Re: Running 2.13 on Windows 10 with no CTD so far

Post by McMick »

It's possible that the video files will play back correctly in a different format (this has been an issue for several years now). The original files were encoded using Indeo 5 for the codec, apparently. If you use a standard MPEG2 format, it may work fine. I converted all the videos a few years ago. I can provide a fresh link to download them for anyone who cares to give them a try:

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/6512 ... .zip_links
Intel z170, i5-6600K, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR4-2666, Win10 x64, TIR3+6DoF, MS SW FFB2, Viewsonic 22" LCD 60Hz 1080p

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Hmmm. Most of the steps you've done there have
mainly served to drastically reduce the video load.
This may corroborate the reports we got that Win10
has knackered DX9, so that it is only allowed to run
a limited video RAM size, regardless of the vidcard's
muscle.

Obviously, someone with a full modern display capability
won't be happy being confined to this limitation. On the
other hand, they may prefer it to not running at all...

Oh, by the way, have you run in campaign mode, and
successfully exited without losing your campaign position?

alexbuko
Airman Basic

Sorry, CTD still appear during the testing phase

Post by alexbuko »

Hello and thanks for your interest so far. Unfortunately I was too optimistic with my first post, because after intense campaign testing I experienced some CTD by BoB2. Altough most problematic issues did reduce drastically with my above mentioned measures, a certain probability of running out of memory during campaign missions with hundreds of AI aircraft stayed. Sometimes the problem doesn`t occur at all, sometimes I CTD after ten minutes or more, sometimes a CTD appears after 3 minutes in the campaign mission altough I run the "Large Adress Aware" program in the background. I really have no clue how to produce more stable results, sorry guys...

But to answer your question on exiting with "alt+x" with a paused game I did not CTD one single time.
Run...Live to Fly,
Fly to Live,
Do or Die!

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

Thanks for trying. I got excited for a second too! I just feel that one day soon this will be figured out.

john99vette
Senior Airman

Post by john99vette »

New to BoB2 Where do I find 2.13 and do I have to install previous updates first? Also where do I find the manaual?
Thanks

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

Check here:
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 10&t=51298
It's a standalone patch.
Manual is packed with the update.
Have fun. :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”