F12 Key inop

new reply
-E
Senior Airman
Posts: 126
Joined: 30 Jun 2004

F12 Key inop

Post -E »

(Coming back to BOB2 after several years...)

The 2.11 Patch seems to kill my ability to use the F12 config key in-game. My F12 key works fine in a clean install, but refuses to work after patching. It shows up fine in the Keys.txt file (KEY_CONFIGMENU 88), but KEY_CONFIGMENU does not show up in the in-game keymapper. Although attempting to assign F12 to another key does show a conflict that F12 is already assigned to KEY_CONFIGMENU.

My joystick is not configured for sending any actual key commands (only default windows joystick buttons), so I don't see a conflict there. Keys.txt shows no other use of key code 88.

This is really slowing down my tweaking BOB2 after reinstalling after too many years. *argh*

Any ideas?

User avatar
PV
BDG
Posts: 5162
Joined: 13 Nov 2004
Location: Lost in the tundra, Canada

Re: F12 Key inop

Post PV »

I wasn't aware F12 ever worked in BoB2. It was being decidedly
ungraceful in exiting to the Options screens, so it was disabled,
but I thought that happened back during BoB2 development.
As I recall it, there wasn't time or available skill to find the problem
and fix it, then, and I've never actually tried it since. It would be
nice to have... I see the function still shows in the keymaps in all
the manual pdfs for BoB2 versions. I've never noticed that before.
However, it doesn't show up in the manual text anywhere, which
leads me to conclude I'm right in thinking it is still disabled.

-E
Senior Airman
Posts: 126
Joined: 30 Jun 2004

Re: F12 Key inop

Post -E »

PV wrote:I wasn't aware F12 ever worked in BoB2.
Definitely works in a fresh install here.
PV wrote:It was being decidedly ungraceful in exiting to the Options screens, so it was disabled,
Interesting... absolutely no problems with it here (in a fresh install).
PV wrote:It would be nice to have... I see the function still shows in the keymaps in all
the manual pdfs for BoB2 versions.
Yup... it is definitely listed in keys.txt, and does warn you if you try to assign F12 to another function using the in-game keymapper.
PV wrote: However, it doesn't show up in the manual text anywhere, which
leads me to conclude I'm right in thinking it is still disabled.
(Not sure what you mean by "Manual Text." ...I've been away from BOB2 for years)

Any way to re-enable it here? Perhaps even a hex edit?

Sounds like problems with it are at least user-dependent. Sounds like it would benefit users with no problems with it, by at least making it optional.

User avatar
PV
BDG
Posts: 5162
Joined: 13 Nov 2004
Location: Lost in the tundra, Canada

Re: F12 Key inop

Post PV »

-E wrote:
PV wrote:I wasn't aware F12 ever worked in BoB2.
Definitely works in a fresh install here.
PV wrote:It was being decidedly ungraceful in exiting to the Options screens, so it was disabled,
Interesting... absolutely no problems with it here (in a fresh install).
PV wrote:It would be nice to have... I see the function still shows in the keymaps in all
the manual pdfs for BoB2 versions.
Yup... it is definitely listed in keys.txt, and does warn you if you try to assign F12 to another function using the in-game keymapper.
PV wrote: However, it doesn't show up in the manual text anywhere, which
leads me to conclude I'm right in thinking it is still disabled.
(Not sure what you mean by "Manual Text." ...I've been away from BOB2 for years)
Ah, quite a few, I'll wager. Have a look in the docs folder,
it is a labour of many people and many many hours, and
unrivalled probably ever; as Bader would say, simply
unsurpassed by any past or future simulation.
Any way to re-enable it here? Perhaps even a hex edit?

Sounds like problems with it are at least user-dependent. Sounds like it would benefit users with no problems with it, by at least making it optional.
No, it's system dependent, but maybe even system-state-at-the-moment dependent.
See here: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 93&p=34828

-E
Senior Airman
Posts: 126
Joined: 30 Jun 2004

Re: F12 Key inop

Post -E »

PV wrote:Ah, quite a few, I'll wager. Have a look in the docs folder,
it is a labour of many people and many many hours, and
unrivalled probably ever; as Bader would say, simply
unsurpassed by any past or future simulation.
(Umm, more than a couple of years)
Ah... text from the manual. With all the text config files, I thought you might be referring to a specific file. Yes I've read that, but as I said it worked great in the fresh install and is still referred to in the key's text, so I assumed it's no longer working was a patch problem. And it is (for me *grin*).
No, it's system dependent, but maybe even system-state-at-the-moment dependent.
See here: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 93&p=34828
They should have just assigned it a key like ALT-CTRL-F12 so it couldn't be accidentally hit by those with the problem, but still be made available to those without the problem. Or even a tick box that allowed/disallowed it's use.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests