BOB bdg V0.99 & BOB 2 conflicts??!!!

new reply
NECROMANCER81
Airman Basic

BOB bdg V0.99 & BOB 2 conflicts??!!!

Post by NECROMANCER81 »

It seems both games cannot be installed at the same time on Windows 7 at least ... Only the last Game installed will work ..Borking the other installation, requiring a reinstall of it which borks the other game then. Why are theses games made to use the same registry areas crossing the both up even though BOBII is just in C: drive and BOB v0.99 is in C:Program files (x86) .....? Anyone know of this sit... Or is BOB II the same exact game but for better graphics and they considered it unnecessary to have both copies?

Buddye
BDG

Re: BOB bdg V0.99 & BOB 2 conflicts??!!!

Post by Buddye »

It was never planned that players would install BOBI and BOBII on the same PC. If you have the PC specs to run BOBII, you will not like BOBI as it is all the issues that have been fixed/improved in BOBII.

BOBII has so much more capability than BOBI and runs without stability issues. The BOBII AI is almost a totally new AI. I see no reason to install BOBI, if you have a PC that can run BOBII.

You are the fist player to complain about this issue in 6 years that I have been working on BOBII.

First thing to double check is the basics to get BOBII up and running:

I assume you are running the 2.11 Update and windows 7. If true them check the following:

Note1: this update will bring *any* previous version up to 2.11. You do not need any previous patches at all.

Note2: You will need the latest DirectX to run 2.11.
You will get a missing .dll error if you do not. When you run the 2.11 self-installer it will point you to the Microsoft DirectX update page. Update to DirectX9.0c (June version). Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of 9.0c so if in any doubt, update.

Note3: The MultiSkin patch should go ON TOP OF Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (English) OR Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory v2.11 Patch (International)
You should have a 256M gfx card to be sure to run without issues.

Note4: How to back up your existing settings from earlier BoBII updates.
Buddye's installation guide HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 0&t=19368B
Back up your Bdg.txt and \savegame, \2dGauge, and \keyboard folders (these folders contain all your settings and joystick buttons)

Note5: If you have a low end system and experience a crash once into 3D, go to your bdg.txt file and set LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024 (the default is 2048). This will reduce the landscape texture resolution by a factor of 4 and should help users with low system memory.

Note6: Windows Vista and Window 7 users. All Vista and Windows 7 users will need to apply the 'Vista/Windows 7 fix' to your desktop shortcut as a fresh 2.11 install will overwrite the previous shortcut.
Right click on shortcut and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab. Check "disable desktop composition" and check the privilege level, run this program as an administrator.

Note7: Forcing VSync with ATI card
There is a known issue with the latest ATI cards and VSync. See http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=21660
In short, you need to right click your ATI tray icon and enable through that (Wait for vertical refresh->Always on).

Note8: Framerates over densely populated areas of 3D objects
See the section later in this thread. Object rendering is not as efficient as we hope to make it in the future. Be prepared to check your Ground Object Density settings in densely populated urban areas. See below

Did you implement Note #6 (Important)?

Is you DirectX 9c update to the latest? If unsure run the Microsoft Web installer here(it will update only what is needed):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

If you are running a wide screen monitor check this thread:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=12695

Second do a very fresh install of BOBII.

Here is the install procedure that I recommend (Hopefully you will have the same install on your PC that I have on my PC):

Each Step is Important (Note- do not worry about the MultiSkin for now as you can install it later)

1. download and unpack the 2.11 self installer or re-download the 2.11 just in case you had a corrupted download the first time
2. Uninstall old version or BoBII
3. Delete all files from the BoBII folder (leave none). [IMPORTANT: These old files left by the uninstaller can cause issues with the new EXE.]
4. Run a registry cleaner (like CC cleaner - a free program) as you had an old install of BobII and BOBI (Important to cleanup)
5. Reinstall BoBII game CD or Download version that you purchased
6. Run (execute) the 2.11 Update that you downloaded

Re-do the following Windows 7 fix as you had a new install:

Right click on shortcut and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab. Check "disable desktop composition" and check the privilege level, run this program as an administrator.

Try a few Instant Action Missions.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

NECROMANCER81
Airman Basic

Post by NECROMANCER81 »

OKAY Thanks for all the data... I must find this multiskin patch. I tend to be a collector of games and like to try to have them ALL installed and running to enjoy the graphics whenever I want. *(I have just finished install of 200 games,all with shortcuts in Steam line-up & with cracked exes that start them without cds.....bought them all...but nice to not have to find a cd!)That is why I wanted to install BOB & BOBII on the same comp. Fun to compare the diff. I will put BOB V0.99 on an XP mobile rack. No prob running BOB II as I have had dual 5970s for two yrs now & the seem to still be current considering ebay prices about same as '09! One day i must look back into getting those metal toe brake rudder pedals that German makes which plug into Hotas Cougar with a game port plug. I had to call him on the phone and he seem to be dying of some lung problem yrs ago. Said he was going to let me buy one of his few remaining but his Visa system was only for walk in type sales and nixed for internet orders by my card. Frustrating. I am sure they would be better than plastic USB pedals. Too bad Thrustmaster didn't make their own to match the cougar!

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

In BOBII the Processor is the prime bottleneck and the video card is the second bottle neck. It takes a stronge game processor to run BOBII on full settings. A Dual or Quad core is recommended.

Here is the link to the 2.11 Update and the 2.11 MultiSkin.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=21865
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

What is the exact problem?
If the broken install means that the menus are broken (wrong colour, can not be used) then it is an OCX issue and probably running a batch each time after switching games would fix it.

So, what is the symptom?

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”