Uninstall DirectX?

new reply
Geezer Gamer
Staff Sergeant

Uninstall DirectX?

Post by Geezer Gamer »

I'm chasing a problem with various profiling software applications for controllers that seem to be in conflict with DirectX

Is there such a thing as doing a "clean install" of directx that doesn't involve reloading your whole operating system? I'm just beginning to think my install is corrupted, and not sure that visiting the webinstallers to "update" directx will resolve the problem.

Buddye
BDG

Re: Uninstall DirectX?

Post by Buddye »

For DirectX , I have always thought a new OS install was the only way to start over.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

You can download versions of DirectX from the Microsoft website if I remember correctly.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

As running the web updater takes minutes and everything else hours, try the webupdater first.
While you can download old versions, AFAIK, they will refuse to install if they see a newer version on disc. Did you run DXDIAG and does it show any error?

Geezer Gamer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Geezer Gamer »

no dxdiag issues right now....I have been chasing a dinputs error for awhile. I basically have had to give up using any of the saitek profilers or ch profilers because I keep getting the dinputs errors, it has settled down as long as I don't load profiler software, but things still feel a little buggy

the saitek folks recommended updating directx but are pointing me towards this page "DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers" instead of the "directx enduser runtime web installer"

should I be suspect of their recommendation?

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

The redist files contain all the updates and it will just add what you need. Whenever I do a DX9c update I always use the redist files rather than the web installer and have never had a problem.

You will have to unpack them to a temporary location and then run the installer. Once installed you can delete all the files in the temp location.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

The reason I normally suggest the web installer is that it only downloads needed files, IOW if you are already up to date it only downloads 50 kB or so (the list of the newest stuff to compare etc). So there is no harm at all to try the redist.

Geezer Gamer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Geezer Gamer »

sounds good
I will give it a try and see if that helps

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”