Key mapping won't stick

new reply
Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Key mapping won't stick

Post by Whirlybird »

I know this looks like a frequent and solvable issue from doing a search, but I have read the various posts and still can't solve my problem. Here it is, advice valued!

- Previously had BOB2 running nicely and keys mapped to joystick
- Was playing with mission editor, screwed up my install of BOB2 and had to reinstall it
- Reinstall works fine, but I can't remap the joystick buttons
- The key assignments are changed and saved and show correctly in the GUI but in game they do not work (except for throttle, that remapping works fine)
- It is a vanilla Logitech stick, not force feedback
- Have tried using logitech manager app to drive the key assignments and this works, but I prefer to run without it as it uses memory and if I can manage key assignments through the game, it is less memory intensive

What I have tried

- Reinstalling again
- Remapping, saving changes, exit game and restart game
- Making sure the logitech manager is not running ie overriding the in game key assignments

Tis a mystery to me as nothing has changed between previously successfully being able to map joystick and now, except for a reinstall of BOBII

W
BOB2 Aces mission package (24 missions)
and Alan Deere mission package (14 missions)

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 1&start=15

PV
BDG

Re: Key mapping won't stick

Post by PV »

These things are always a mystery to me, as well. So, you didn't carry over any config files from your previous install? The joystick settings (as opposed to keyboard settings) are stored in settings.cfg and/or input.cfg in the savegames folder, so carrying over an old one may bring a problem with it (conversely it may fix a problem generated from a new one...)

Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Post by Whirlybird »

Hmm, those files are dated yesterday (last time I used the game) so that would suggest the most recent changes were saved, and as I said, they are reflected in the settings shown on the screen, they just arent taken in game.

Oh well, will try again.

WB

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:shock: I know this may sound daft but could it be the stick doesn't remember the mapping rather than the game itself.
I know my x52 took a bit of persuasion when i tried to profile it.Can you see what the stick is doing and whether it corresponds.
Sorry if it doesn't make sense :oops:

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

You must always "hit" save on the Key mapping (left lower) when exiting keymapping even if you have saved alraedy anything you have changed.

I think this is the issue. The game will let you exit with saving but it needs you to save.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

BoxMike
Senior Airman

Post by BoxMike »

My USB channel is a bit flaky sometimes with my MSFFB2, it's green led remains out thus the stick is not initiated within XP startup. Just does it once per 2 months average. If I do not notice it and start BoBII, BoBII just informs me the joystick controls are reset.
Is this connected to the same mechanism mentioned in this thread? Just curious.
Rgds,
- box
XP Home SP3/Athlon 64 X2 6000+/AM2NF3-VSTA/4GB DDR2 @800MHz/
Club3D HD3850 AGP 512MB/Audigy 2ZS/ TIR4

Whirlybird
Senior Airman

Post by Whirlybird »

Thanks all - I got it fixed!

This is what fixed it. I noticed that the commands I had entered and saved for some reason had two commas between the key and the joystick command ie ,, instead of ,

Don't ask me why? Maybe because I tried to re enter them multiple times...

Anyway, I thought it looked strange so I hit 'CLEAR' and then re-entered both the default key command, and the joystick command that I wanted remapped.

BINGO. Hitting 'clear' was the secret. Now they stick.

Next time I see someone with this prob it will be my turn to offer advice!!

Thanks heaps

WB

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Just super. I will also try to remember that one.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”