Where does the sound come from?

The most maneuverable WWII aircraft in history
new reply
slicer
Airman

Where does the sound come from?

Post by slicer »

Just how authentic is the engine sound? AFAIK there is at least one FW190 in the US capable of ground running its BMW. Sampled from that ? Or what ??

Do tell us, please.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Some things are best left alone to maintain the suspension of believe since we do not have a running BMW engine to record. There may be some recordings somewhere of the real engine, but the quality would undoubtably be very poor. What I can say is the engine is from a real WWII aircraft, inside and out we recorded on sight with exceptional equipment, and the engine is quite similar to the BMW. We then spent quite a lot of time modifying the sound to match it as closely as we would have expected it to sound.

The P51, on the other hand, is pure Merlin power. I don't believe there is or will ever be a higher quality reproduction of a real Merlin engine than we have in the WoP P51, at least not for a very long time. I was in the aircraft and all around it running at all these RPM's, and can say without question, if you have a system capable of delivering high volume at high quality, you will literally be standing next to the P51 at all the RPM settings and inside as well. The same goes for the FW190, only being the source is not from the actual BMW.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

slicer
Airman

Post by slicer »

Thanks for that, Scott. More's the pity that none have survived.....but there is now the beautiful German "new build" FW190 now flying with a Chinese radial up front. Now that would be great to see and hear in the UK, if the CAA will allow it to fly here. Fingers crossed. Now I come to think of it, I think the RAF have a 190 which is able to be ground run on special occasions at Cosford museum(I think).

You're right about the Merlin, of course.

OllieC-FWOL
Airman First Class

Post by OllieC-FWOL »

I heard the sound in a video, and it sings like a R-1830 to me...

Couldn't you record the Flug Werk Fw 190A-8/N and use it? The noise would at least have the the same number of exhausts tube!

:wink:

I'm looking forward to fly your Fw 190 regardless of the noise it makes!

8)

Death_Eagle_571
Airman

Post by Death_Eagle_571 »

Actually, compared to Flight1's Fw-190, the sounds are very accurate, although I dont know where they got their sounds from, I belive these sounds are very accurate.
Project Consultant - Luft'46 Design Team

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

The sounds come from the engine! :roll:
Snuffy

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

OllieC-FWOL wrote:I heard the sound in a video, and it sings like a R-1830 to me...

Couldn't you record the Flug Werk Fw 190A-8/N and use it? The noise would at least have the the same number of exhausts tube!

:wink:

I'm looking forward to fly your Fw 190 regardless of the noise it makes!

8)
The Wright R-2600 is virtually identical to the BMW 801 in displacement and has the same number of cylinders (14), and there are a bunch of those engines still running out there.

Ridge
Senior Airman

Post by Ridge »

They recorded the sounds from a BMW 3-series ;)

new reply

Return to “Focke Wulf 190 "Butcher Bird"”