Question regarding trim

The most maneuverable WWII aircraft in history
new reply
II.JG2_oesau
Airman

Question regarding trim

Post by II.JG2_oesau »

This is a question regarding trim in the Fw-190 and not a gripe.

In the manual it refers to trim for: elevator, ailerons, and rudder. I am correct in assuming that this refers to "fixing" the trim tabs on the control surfaces (baring the elevator)? As far as I am aware (and I'm happy to be told otherwise) the only movable trim surface (movable being - the pilot was able to change it in flight) was the elevator.

BTW - I just love this a/c!

Oesau

II.JG2_oesau
Airman

Post by II.JG2_oesau »

Found this information :
Again, as in the case of the Me 109, no trim tabs adjustable in flight from the cockpit were provided for the aileron and rudder. European designers seem to have acquired the notion that this was a nuisance or unnecessary. Not at all; when going into a dive, it's very easy for the pilot to reach down with his left hand and flick in a couple of half turns of rudder trim. It's not only desireable, but necessary to eliminate side slip for good gunnery. The Fw 190, however, did have electric trim tabs for the elevators.
Source: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2072/breed.html

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Yes, you are correct about this, the actual aircraft has no rudder or aileron trim in the cockpit. These were adjusted externally for proper aircraft trim by changing the rigging as required, similar to many training aircraft still in production. However, FS9 does make these available, so we are providing them, with this bit of artistic license taken on the basis that these could controls could have been adjusted on the ground by the crew chief per the pilot's requirements. As always, the checklist has been condensed and greatly simplified for FS9, with the inclusion of these features being a part of that process. Keep in mind, this would only be functional using keystrokes or joystick buttons, at the user's option. The cockpit itself does not have these controls and is accurately depicted.

II.JG2_oesau
Airman

Post by II.JG2_oesau »

Thanks for the response.

BellCobraIV
Airman

Post by BellCobraIV »

SD,
Help me with this please. I know which buttons to manipulate to move the trim, and don't have trouble with this during flight. But is there anywhere I can go to check the status of the amount of trim dialed into the aircraft when presetting the trim before flight? I have flown four of the versions so far and believe that presetting the trim before take-off would be good. I understand that the Fw's were all ground adjustable on the rudder and aileron, ailerons are not an issue BTW.
Thank you.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

BellCobraIV wrote:SD,
Help me with this please. I know which buttons to manipulate to move the trim, and don't have trouble with this during flight. But is there anywhere I can go to check the status of the amount of trim dialed into the aircraft when presetting the trim before flight? I have flown four of the versions so far and believe that presetting the trim before take-off would be good. I understand that the Fw's were all ground adjustable on the rudder and aileron, ailerons are not an issue BTW.
Thank you.
Aileron and rudder trim are adjusted externally by the aircraft crew chief by means of bendable tabs, which are clearly visible on the Fw 190 in the form of small red tabs on the control surfaces.

We would suggest the following procedure for adjusting rudder and aileron trim for takeoff, providing you have buttons or keys programmed for this:

Establish the aircraft in a normal climb without any aileron or rudder trim adjustments. Dial in enough rudder and aileron trim so as to neutralize the controls. Make a note of how many clicks or keystrokes of trim you used for each trim adjustment. Reduce that amount by half and make a note of those figures. Record this information somewhere handy. Prior to every Fw 190 flight, dial in these figures and do not touch the trim thereafter unless you exit or reload the aircraft. This will simulate an "on the ground" fixed adjustment for aileron and rudder trim that is a compromise between a climbing trim adjustment and a cruising trim setting.

That said, we may decide to eliminate the ability to do any aileron and rudder trim adjustments in a future update to the product; we'll wait and see what kind of reaction we get from users to this "manual" procedure.

II.JG2_oesau
Airman

Post by II.JG2_oesau »

I'm so used to having a slight rudder and alieron deflection from flying Il2 that I'm going to leave these trim controls alone. It's nice to have more controls in relation to engine management and electrics from IL2. but they are focused on different aspects of simulation.

new reply

Return to “Focke Wulf 190 "Butcher Bird"”