side slipping ?

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
Dominique
Technical Sergeant

side slipping ?

Post by Dominique »

Got the bird ! An overall really nice implementation of the Mustang, for what I care for i.e. flight modeling and VC gauges smoothness. I like the flip over when you pour in 61 inches all dirty :D .

Now I may have an issue...

Don't know whether it's me or what, but I can't side slip the 51 (I can't side slip the 47 either BTW :? )... I use joystick and pedals of course and can side slip the RA 260 or Spit' with no trouble.

Care to comment ?
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

SD_Research
A2A Major

Re: side slipping ?

Post by SD_Research »

Dominique wrote:Got the bird ! An overall really nice implementation of the Mustang, for what I care for i.e. flight modeling and VC gauges smoothness. I like the flip over when you pour in 61 inches all dirty :D .

Now I may have an issue...

Don't know whether it's me or what, but I can't side slip the 51 (I can't side slip the 47 either BTW :? )... I use joystick and pedals of course and can side slip the RA 260 or Spit' with no trouble.

Care to comment ?
Those planes'll sideslip just fine; this was discussed in detail some time back in another thread. The Mustang doesn't have a lot of rudder authority and thus the sideslip is not extreme. You may be looking for a greatly exaggerated exhibition of slipping, but you won't get that from those two planes. The 109 has good rudder control and you can get a more extreme slip from her.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Well, I have one heck of a time to side slip still after about six hours of flight ! don't know what you mean by exxagerated or extreme, keeping a 10/12°° bank doesn't seem extreme to me in a 16 knots Xwind with a slight crabbing to help. The plane just doesn't side slip...

Maybe me, maybe be not :) ... I'd love to hear from other users.

Didn't find the other thread about side slipping btw.
Dominique
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Dominique wrote:Well, I have one heck of a time to side slip still after about six hours of flight ! don't know what you mean by exxagerated or extreme, keeping a 10/12°° bank doesn't seem extreme to me in a 16 knots Xwind with a slight crabbing to help. The plane just doesn't side slip...

Maybe me, maybe be not :) ... I'd love to hear from other users.

Didn't find the other thread about side slipping btw.
From the P-51 manual:

"The P-51 does not hold a sustained sideslip. The aileron control is not sufficient to hold the airplane in a sideslipping angle. The airplane automatically tends to straighten itself out. However, you can sideslip long enough to avoid enemy fire in combat."

Hope that explains it.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

now that's more like it :D, your P51 behaves like that , thanks, she indeed does straighten herself out !

I didn't find a mention of side slipping in the "flight handbook" Gabriel put in another thread. What are the references of your manual to see whether I can buy it online ?

Nice bird...
Dominique

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Dominique wrote:now that's more like it :D, your P51 behaves like that , thanks, she indeed does straighten herself out !

I didn't find a mention of side slipping in the "flight handbook" Gabriel put in another thread. What are the references of your manual to see whether I can buy it online ?

Nice bird...
Got mine from Garcia Aviation (www.garciaaviation.com), just do a search. It's a hard copy. PDF copies are all over the Web now.

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”