Unusual Engine Starts

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
elparker
Airman First Class

Unusual Engine Starts

Post by elparker »

I just finished reloading the P-51 add-on. I've had it for a couple of years but after a recent hard drive and mobo upgrade I decided to load the P-51 again. When I last had it running I was very dissatisfied with the cockpit layout but now that I have been using the B377 Stratocruiser for a while, I thought I should try the P51 again. It is a lot more impressive this time around.

Problem is, when I got rid of the external fuel tanks, emptied the center fuel tank and started the engines there seemed to be a lot of smoke coming from the engine compartment and then the engine quit. I experimented with the fuel lever a bit and got the engines to run, but there was still a lot of smoke in the cockpit. I checked over the cockpit control settings as well as I could and didn't see anything unusual but maybe I missed something. Is this normal?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Unusual Engine Starts

Post by Skycat »

I'd check that you are using the realism settings suggested in the P-51's manual, especially FSX's automixture toggle.

If the problem is only happening when you release drop tanks and empty the center tank, perhaps your fuel selector is pointing opposite of what you think it is and you are actually trying to feed from empty/dropped tanks?
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”