Uncommanded Roll-Back

The premier US WWII Fighter
new reply
Avio
Staff Sergeant

Uncommanded Roll-Back

Post by Avio »

I just bought the P51D Solo (as well as P47 a long time ago), and noticed that noth models exhibit an uncommanded return to wing-level during a turn, when the yoke has been returned to the neutral after commanding the turn.

Is this normal? Is this how both the P47 and P51 behave in real world? My understanding is airfile models nowadays are made to stay in the commanded bank angle after the yoke has been returned to neutral.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Avio

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Re: Uncommanded Roll-Back

Post by VulcanB2 »

Hi,
My understanding is airfile models nowadays are made to stay in the commanded bank angle after the yoke has been returned to neutral.
If the flight dynamics are being taken seriously then it should reflect the characteristics of the aircraft, not satisfy some misconception over how the sim should handle unrealistic spring center sticks.

The reason the aircraft rolls back to wings level is a function of the dihedral of the wing (if you look from behind it is slightly in a V configuration).

Essentially, when you roll the aircraft without rudder input, it wants to side-slip. The aircraft wants to yaw in the opposite direction due to forces acting on the tail, and this in turn affects the lift generated by each wing. The result is that the aircraft wants to roll back to wings level.

It is part of its aerodynamic stability.

When you roll an aircraft sufficiently, the yaw tendency is reduced, or eliminated, procluding the tendency for it to want to roll back to wings level (and in fact, can cause it to want to roll more).

As you've discovered, the only remedy is to hold in a slight amount of aileron and rudder to counteract the wing-level tendency during the turn. :)

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”