Bonanza/P3Dv5.2HF1: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Heronjr
Airman First Class

Bonanza/P3Dv5.2HF1: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by Heronjr »

Good Day,
I have read all of the posts about this DXGI error in P3D forum and here in A2A. I would like to confirm some points:

1. With the Bonanza, the DXGI error seems to happen in my sim only under rain conditions. Is the solution of removing the Windshield.dll file from A2A\Gauges still working?
2. Is it confirmed that using the Dynamic Texture Streaming option ON could also lead to this DXGI error?
3. Are there any news about this P3Dv5 plague?
4. Why didn't LM fix this error in v5.2?

Oh yes. I use ASP3D.

Regards,
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3
Intel Core i7 10700KF, 3.80GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU RTX 3060 12GB w/2 Monitors

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Bonanza/P3Dv5.2HF1: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Post by Nick - A2A »

Heronjr wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 14:06 1. With the Bonanza, the DXGI error seems to happen in my sim only under rain conditions. Is the solution of removing the Windshield.dll file from A2A\Gauges still working?
You could certainly try this Heron. Unfortunately we've never been able to reproduce this issue reliably. However, the handful of customers who have reported CTDs seem to have multiple high resolution monitors in use.

Your other three questions are best addressed to Lockheed Martin themselves if you're seeing this issue regularly and removing the windshield.dll doesn't help.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Post by Heronjr »

Hi Nick,

I'm quite convinced that, in my case, is ASP3D + Rain + Windshield.dll.

I've deleted windshield.dll and made 4 successful flights in the Seattle area, but no rain. Incredible, isn't it? Many clouds but no rain. As soon as I fly into rain I will report. I will not force the weather, because my DXGI errors occurred in natural injected local conditions.

Thanx and regards
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Post by Heronjr »

Good day Nick,

Finally I got rain, and heavy! Flying in the Bahamas area I could make a 1.5 hs leg using ASP3D, under heavy rain, bull fighting some CB's. So, turning off windshield.dll the DXGI error did not happen. I look forward Hifi Simulations can soon fix this instability, because the effect is astonishing.

Regards,
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3

Adam Pestridge
Airman

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Ive been testing this effort as well lately with various and clear results.

P3Dv5 HF2 with a 4K monitor and running it in the native display both in the GPU control panel and P3D panel. I only use 2K textures and have most of the GPU doing the work for the sim. Antistropic filtering and AA is handled by the GPU and the sim handles no AA.
CPU: i7700k clocked to 4.58Ghz
GPU: 1080Ti (not overclocked)
RAM: 32G (one stick) 3000Mhz

Windows 10 to the latest build and various GPU drivers. Currently using 472.12 (using the latest made no difference)

Addons:
AIG Traffic
Oceanic Pak
Global Terrain Pak
Sky Pak
Black Marble Base, Vector, Traffic, Bridges, Extended, Blue Marble, StarGazer...
I tested in an area which was isloated but guaranteed with the rain for testing. I used the airport NTTB with freeware packages and payware packages for the Fuji area which are all verified as they dont cause DXGI errors.
THATS IT. Thats all the addons I use with Active Sky as my weather engine.
I ALWAYS GET THE ERROR AFTER ABOUT 10 MINUTES OF LOADING INTO THE SIM WITH RAIN.
I never had any issues when using REX SkyForce in a whole year of flight simming with DXGI probs with 5.0-5.2
Ive had these errors when returning to Active Sky recently, I dont think tho they are they ONLY cause of the issue. I believe there are many reasons for this DXGI error and there isnt any one solution for the problem.
I do believe one of the probs is the Windshield.dll file as when I dont use it, I NEVER get the DXGI error, when used with certain other addons and having the sim in a specific set up/hardware.
Not everyone has seen the DXGI error and some cant repeat it, which concludes it is very user specific in the way they run their system (OS) and simulator. I also downloaded the TrueGlass and TrueLight free modules from Orbx and still received the error in the J3 Cub plane, which isnt a heavy plane in terms of its complexity, when compared to the PMDG 747.
As soon as I received the error the first time after testing default scenery against add scenery, I booted up the Aerosoft Twin Otter which doesnt use the Windshield.dll file/TrueGlass and never got the error after about 30 minutes of flying.
So if it does rain, the DXGI error will pop up almost instantly if the Windshield.dll file is in the gauge folder and yet will NEVER happen if the file is not present.

Again, Im not saying its the sole issue of the Windshield.dll error. Although I have heavily limited what it can be through other addons.
I have also receieved this error over Scotland in the Cessna 172 with consistency UNTIL I removed the file. I also do use the TDr delay reg fix as well in all my testing and never exceed the Vram I have.

I also believe there is more chance of it happening when using a 4K monitor than using a 1080P monitor and if you also select the 4K display option in the P3D menu. Selecting 2K when using a 4K monitor will heavily reduce the chance of a DXGI even when using the Windshield.dll file, but it will still happen. I use 4K in the display section as more AA is needed when choosing 2K, so its a tradeoff for me.

I know there are about 7 different triggers for a DXGI error and there is a fix for it. With P3D tho, we have a harder time finding it as the simulator, although in default is good, it doesnt create these errors. Although the addons from various different devs, which do things differently for the sim and alot of them dont update their own addons properly, bring in so many more variable factors for a DXGI error. Lockheed Martin has given devs ALOT of freedom to produce addons for and so I believe introduce more chances of a variable if the dev doesnt update their addon properly, which many dont and are a direct cause for a DXGI error.
I am so glad A2A still support P3D with their products as I dont think Id enjoy V5 as much without them. I only wish to use stable addons. So I have removed the Windshield.dll file as I do want to use Active Sky and I believe the two combined are what is causing this particular error. Hopefully an update from both devs can be looked into and have this sorted as I really do like the windshield effects. Although they arent the sole reason I use their planes.

I do believe this ONLY applies but not limited too Directx12 as the sole issue. P3Dv4 users MAY get the error, but very unlikely unless they over use their sliders for their GPU.

On a seperate note, I have noticed that with certain AA settings in the GPU control panel, it makes the aircraft selection preview box go black, which only meant I couldnt see the preview.

Also, if you have a GPU that is lower than the GTX 1060, than there is limited support for Directx12 within P3Dv5 and this could also be the cause of your errors if you have one.

A2A, is there any way we can have the TrueGlass addon as the windshield effects instead of the current Windshield.dll file as other planes dont suffer this issue that use that addon?

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

I also experience same issue with Bonanza, but assume that support and fixing period for this product is over and issue will not be addressed.
Maybe someone have found some unofficial solution ?

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”