Localizer capturing in opposite direction (or I am an idiot)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Localizer capturing in opposite direction (or I am an idiot)

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

Hi all,

Perhaps I am not doing something right, but I just experienced this again with Bonanza (however, I have also experienced this with Skylane before)... I am using Flight1's GTN 750 and perhaps it's because I am not all that proficient with it yet, but... Here's what's happening - I am hoping someone can help me out. I am not really able to fly the ILS approaches. I come from using G1000/3000 ones in MSFS, and I never had this issue there, but I understand it's a different thing. When I Load an approach in PROC, I am able to activate it at some point. Once I do, the CDI switches from GPS to LOC as I would expect. I have my NAV1 tuned to the ILS frequency (obtained and tuned via the Waypoint Info Frequencies tab, then switched from STBY to Active)... However, the Localizer points me to the OPPOSITE direction as the AC starts turning away from the destination runway. If I switch my CDI back to GPS, all is dandy - but I can't capture the glideslope that way. I end up having to switch to GPS and then handfly the landing every time. I WAS able to get it done successfully one time in my Skyhawk, it did capture the LOC and didn't turn away from it... but 3-4 other times at various airports (this recent one was Runway 24 at LGRP) it pulls this stunt and I am pretty sure this must somehow be my error somewhere. But any insight would be appreciated.

On a side note... why does the Bonanza feel very unstable at rotation on takeoff? It seems to go left and right after the wheels leave the tarmac. Likewise, on approach, once I deploy the gear, it all of sudden becomes very "floaty"... I am approaching at about 95-90 knots and should technically be pretty stable.

That's all I got! ;)
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Localizer capturing in opposite direction (or I am an idiot)

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jeremy,

Probably the best bet would be for you to grab some screenshots showing how the GTN, HSI and autopilot are configured when it's doing stuff which you're not expecting. It's difficult to figure out what the issue is otherwise, as we don't know what sort of angle you're intercepting the ILS from or anything. However, I guess the main question is is the HSI showing it's tuned to a valid NAV source when in VLOC mode (i.e. no red NAV flag)?

For the second issue, are you using a bit of extra right rudder as you pull back on the yoke to rotate? This, along with quite gentle backwards pressure on the yoke is probably key to a non-wobbly take-off. However, if there's much in the way of a crosswind, this could explain the issue too.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

Sounds good, Nick. I will re-fly that particular flight (it’s only less than 60NM so it won’t be much trouble) and will post some screenshots later today. Thank you so much for your help!
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Garmin has some pretty good resources, such as this one, on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrWtdWIy0aM.

Here's one, with a guy in a Cessna 172 in X-PLane, flying an ILS approach with a RXP GTN 750 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watxhCC4Wv8&t=715s.

Generally, you want to be flying at a shallow angle toward the ILS approach, on autopilot, in NAV or HDG mode, so that you will intercept the ILS "feather" below the glideslope. You should already have your approach loaded into the GTN. When you see the ILS needles come alive, hit the APPR button. Any conflict between that bit of advice and what the Garmin guy tells you - go with the Garmin guy.

You'll get it.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”