How to map set/rst key on ADF?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
billythebassman
Airman Basic

How to map set/rst key on ADF?

Post by billythebassman »

I fly exclusively in VR and prefer to have as many frequently used keys mapped to the HOTAS as possible so I don't have to take my hands off the HOTAS to use the mouse during complex IFR maneuvers.

Thanks to Nick I have learned the N1-N2 switch on the DME.

My new problem is programming a HOTAS key to the "SET/RST" button on the ADF so that I can start, stop and reset the elapsed time for holding patterns etc.

I can't seem to find any command for this button in FSUIPC , the standard P3d v4 commands or the Input Configurator.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Billy

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: How to map set/rst key on ADF?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello again Billy,

You can also use custom variables (L:Vars) to assign this control to a button on your HOTAS. However, before I post further details of how to go about this, could you just confirm if you're familiar with using text macros in FSUIPC? No problem if you're not, but it gives me a better idea of what to include in my reply. If you are completely new to this stuff, this post is a rather good intro about how to get started so I'd recommend having a read.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

billythebassman
Airman Basic

Thanks Nick. I'll study the page and report back.

Billy

billythebassman
Airman Basic

Nick,

After studying the page I was able to write the needed macro file.

Thanks for the reference--and for showing me how to fish --rather than giving me a mackerel.

Once again, great products and great support!

Regards,
Billy

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Billy,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you've got the macro-writing sorted. It's a really useful skill to have for some of the advanced capabilities of FSUIPC, especially when using complex add-ons which have their own variables.

Just in case you missed it, there are actually 2 L:Vars needed for the function in question to work correctly, so your macro file should include both of these. Row numbers are 48 and 49 for me, but of course they'll differ for you.

Code: Select all

48=L:AdfFrqRstButton=SET
49=L:FrqRstButton=SET
The trick here is that both can be assigned to the same hardware button. "L:AdfFrqRstButton" should be SET to 1 on button press and SET to 0 on release. "L:FrqRstButton" should be SET to 1 on button press but not set to 0 on release. One thing to note is that if you're assigning multiple actions to the same button, you'll need to do it via editing the FSUIPC *.ini file rather than solely in the program's UI. The corresponding entry in the *.ini file looks like this for my hardware.

Code: Select all

9=P1,8,CM1:48,1 	-{Macro 1_A2A_LVARS: L:AdfFrqRstButton set}-
10=U1,8,CM1:48,0 	-{Macro 1_A2A_LVARS: L:AdfFrqRstButton set}-
11=P1,8,CM1:49,1 	-{Macro 1_A2A_LVARS: L:FrqRstButton set}-
I'm aware that this is rather a brief description and if you need me to clarify anything above, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”