Custom panel

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
ErikU
Airman Basic

Custom panel

Post by ErikU »

Hello,

I own a real Bonanza and am using the A2A model for instrument proficiency, maintaining my scan, and working through procedures. I've been happy with the flight model, but for training, a 2D panel is much better, and using my instruments in the real life layout is also a requirement, so I made my own. I loaded my custom 2D panel, and mostly all is well, except that the engine instruments (MP, FF, RPM) are wildly wrong. If I go back to the virtual panel the indications look normal, but switching to my custom 2D panel they are way off an behaving erratically. Any ideas what's going on here?

Also, is there an easy way to turn off the maintenance features?

Thanks!

-Erik

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Custom panel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Erik,

this will be due to the extra variables that add to the realism via our out of sim programming. If you wish to go full custom programming using the custom LUA Variables.

However i'd also personally recommend removing the old idea that a 2D panel is needed or that that particular method is at all real and can be counted as training. The VC puts you in the cockpit just as with reality, including all the extras you get as with in reality. If you train only with instruments in view bigger and more in view than in reality, and in such a sterile environment, you are not training for any instance that can exist in reality. It is better to train whilst you get use to viewing from within the VC and having the extra distractions present in the sim as with in reality. The Modern sim allows you to train in a much more realistic way over the old style dating back to the 40's that includes scenarios that just don't exist anywhere but in the training room.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I would strongly second what Lewis has said concerning the 2D panel. There was a time in the early days when the 2D panels provided more realism than the VC's but that time has long passed. Today's virtual cockpit and panel is FAR superior in every respect to a 2D panel. Just take a look at our Cherokee 180 as an example. When Scott sent me the images during production it took him 15 minutes on the phone to convince me it wasn't a photograph of the real airplane.
Just suggesting mind you but I see no reason at all you can't use our VC for training. As a flight instructor I've been recommending our planes for actual training now for a long long time.
Dudley Henriques

ErikU
Airman Basic

Post by ErikU »

I appreciate the replies, thank you. Beautiful work on the Bonanza too! I can see advantages to the virtual panel, and I do really appreciate the movement and physics that come with it, and I will try some instrument flight with it. My main reasons for wanting a simple flat 2D panel in front of me for training:

In real life the panel is fixed about 18" in front of me. in a virtual panel the monitor is about 18" in front of me, and the virtual instruments are another 18" in 3D space beyond the plane of the monitor. This makes the distance to instruments much too great. With a 2D panel, I can built it to suit the size of my display to come fairly close to proper size and distance to and between instruments, really replicating the physical layout which is important for working on my scan. If I zoom in on a virtual panel it throws off the field of view and feels very artificial.

The main reason for a 2D panel is so that I can add the instruments that are correct for my plane. The Bonanza changed instrument layouts many times over the years, and owners have changed instrument types and layouts many times over the years too. For example, my plane doesn't have an HSI, has engine instruments in a different location, and has a totally different STEC50 two-axis auto pilot. I can easily change all of this as needed with a custom 2D panel

With all of that said, I will certainly try to find a zoom setting on the virtual panel that works for me. In the mean time, where can I find information on the LUA variables so that I can properly point my instruments?

Thanks again,

Erik

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

All those variables are custom Lvars. You have to point to them instead the standard variables.
I had to deal with this to build my hardware cockpit.
You can find them quite easy with software as Linda. Very helpful for this. https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/427-linda-downloads/
If you only need to find the variables, Linda is the way to go.
If you need sotfware to make your own gauges with those variables, Air Manager is great.

Arturo.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”