adjusting fan speed through l:var

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
jfayre
Airman

adjusting fan speed through l:var

Post by jfayre »

Hi all,
I'm developing a free add-on to allow a blind person to use Prepar3d. I've recently started adding support for the a2a Bonanza aircraft.
The add-on can be found at:
http://www.github.com/jfayre/talking-flight-monitor
I'm totally blind myself, so I appoligize if this question seems obvious.
In this video, the person seems to be adjusting the fan speeds near the beginning of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqeLXf9lDCk&start=959
I'm trying to figure out which switch he is using. I can find an l:var for CabinFanSpeed, but I'm not sure this is the right one to use to operate the fan switch. I can already toggle the fan on and off by writing to l:vars, but just trying to figure out how to set the speed.
I've been following the Linda code to see what variables are writable, but I don't think their support covers all writable vars.
Can anyone give me an idea how to do this?

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Re: adjusting fan speed through l:var

Post by ROB - A2A »

Hi there.
To turn on/off the fan you should use VentCabinFanSwitch variable.
To control the speed you should rotate the knob using VentCabinOverheadFreshAirControl variable. There are four speeds so use values from 0 to 4. The tooltip will say from 1 to 5 but you use a range from 0 to 4.

Let me know if this works and ask for whatever else you need.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

jfayre
Airman

Post by jfayre »

Brilliant! Thanks!
There is something else actually, but not near as simple I'm afraid.
I have a thread over in the C182 forum where I'm asking about getting access to the maintenance hanger and fuel panels via l:vars. Right now, I can read the state of various things, but actually pushing buttons requires a mouse. We're able to do this via a fairly complicated process of using OCR (optical character recognition) and moving the mouse around until our screen reader reads a tooltip, but this isn't at all pleasant.
I see there are variables that get triggered when things like the Complete Overhaul button is pressed, but you can't actually press it by writing to the var.
Same goes with the fuel loading controls, adding oil, etvc. Is there any way these vars could be made writable so it would be easier for us to access them programatically?
The blind flight sim community is a small one, but we're fairly good at finding creative solutions to make things work.
A few other developers have offered to add specific accessibility features for us, which is amazing! An example would be the person who creates the VPilot program for Vatsim, as well as Ideal Flight, which is a package for flight planning, etc.
Thanks much!

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

I have answered your other post as well. Let me know if the editor, I mention there, is a solution for you or not.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”