Bonanza engine cranking issues

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
ca7nip
Airman Basic

Bonanza engine cranking issues

Post by ca7nip »

Hello all,

I'm experiencing issues with the Bonanza (as well as the PA28 and C182) on startup. When I load into P3D5 initially, the aircraft works as normal with no abnormal indications anywhere or failures when inspecting in hangar. I can go through the startup procedure as normal up until crank then engine. At that point the engine loses all of its oil, develops a fuel leak, the starter completely disengages and becomes unresponsive and the prop comes to a stop, however the audio will sometimes play as if the aircraft has max power set. All of the problems go away on sim restart until the next engine start.

I really have no idea what could be the cause of this. This is a clean installation of Windows and P3D5, the only aircraft installed are A2A aircraft and the default aircraft. I installed another GA aircraft to test its compatibility but deleted it once it was clear it wasnt functional (It had roughly the same issue however). The only other items installed are the F1 GTN, FSUIPC6, Chaseplane, and orbx sceneries. Ive disabled windshield.dll as well as installed the XPACK version of simconnect from the sim root redist folder.

Any help with this would be appreciated, itching to fly the A2A aircraft with the improved performance and atmospherics!

Best,
Eugene

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Bonanza engine cranking issues

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Eugene and welcome to the A2A forums.

Do you still have P3Dv4 installed to test if you see the same behaviour in both versions?

Also, any differences in the way that you launch the two sims? For example, do you launch P3Dv5 with full admin privileges?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

ca7nip
Airman Basic

Post by ca7nip »

Nick,

I still have my v4 installers, I will try to see if the same behavior occurs in v4. Prior to starting fresh I had all my A2A aircraft stable in V4 Hotfix 2, and I've tried to recreate the same settings and conditions in V5 as I had in V4, running as admin in all contexts included.

Should I symlink the addon into the V4 folder or remove the existing installation and install again?

Eugene

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info Eugene.

Before I answer your question, please can you just clarify how you installed your v4 copy of the Bonanza in v5 as there are a few methods.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

ca7nip
Airman Basic

Post by ca7nip »

Nick,

Sorry for not clarifying! I ran the A2A installer and pointed it to the Prepar3D v5 Add-ons folder in my documents library.

The library is in a non-standard location at the moment however, I moved it after finishing the Windows installation to another drive to conserve space on my boot drive. Don't know if that's a concern or not but I can try installing into a completely separate folder!

Thanks for your time and attention to this
Eugene

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info - so far, all our testing has been with P3Dv4 and v5 installed concurrently as we still have to support the previous version. This means it's a bit difficult for me to try and replicate your exact issue at the moment Eugene.

I'll do a bit more investigation, but if you installed with the installer and the sim is auto-detecting the Bonanza successfully, it should work, providing you disable the Windshield.dll as you mentioned.

If you are able to reinstall P3Dv4, I'd suggest you uninstall the Bonanza first and make sure any leftovers are removed. Then, after reinstalling to v4 use the method described here to alias to it in v5. We hope to have a dedicated v5 installer for the Bonanza before too much longer, so you may wish to wait for this instead. There are still a few issues to work through though, so can't say exactly when it'll be ready.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

ca7nip
Airman Basic

Post by ca7nip »

Nick,

Thanks for the info and direction, I'll work on testing what you described and I'll post my findings!

Best,
Eugene

Ricamato
Airman Basic

Post by Ricamato »

This has still happened to me a few times. Even after running the sim as administrator. My only fix for now is to replace the v2_BonanzaV35log.dat file with an earlier backup file that I know worked after a two hour flight. The aircraft then starts up as normal.

I cannot seem to find the cause. Although I have noticed when the non-starting (fuel leak and no oil) happens, that the aux fuel pump switch is on when I entered the cockpit (I know it was off when I previously left the plane) and fuel flow needle drops to the bottom of the gauge. The right side fuel tank is then empty and the maintenance hanger reports the fuel leak, but wont let me fix it. That’s when I replace the bad dat file and it seems to work again.

I do have the aux fuel pump switch mapped to a button on my throttle for for easier use to see the needle when stating. I will try to unmap that switch to see if it stops.

I have not tried to reset all in the garage yet, as I do not want to lose all my logged hours.

Again, I cannot replicate this, it just happens now and again.

I hope this lengthy description helps.

Mike

FreeBird
Airman First Class

Post by FreeBird »

This also happens to me. Replacing the V2_Bonanza data file fixes it temporary. In V5 whenever I start it and add throttle the right fuel tank will immediately empty with a leak and the engine stalls. For now no Bonanza in V5

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Mike/FreeBird,

We haven't been able to reproduce any issues like the ones you're describing so far. Are you using P3Dv5 with a concurrent installation of P3Dv4 on your system, or just P3Dv5?

Also, any changes to v5 such as modifying the default scenario to use a third-party add-on aircraft?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ricamato
Airman Basic

Post by Ricamato »

I have both v4 and v5 installed concurrently.

FreeBird
Airman First Class

Post by FreeBird »

I using both and loading default aircraft. I have re installed the Bonanza two time with the same result as stated

Ricamato
Airman Basic

Post by Ricamato »

Happened again. I did a nice short flight from KPSP to L35, no problems. Just tried to do a flight from KLAS, same thing, no engine oil and fuel leak. I tried doing a repair all and engine replace. No dice. I then went to put the older dat file in, but that did not work either.

Mike

FreeBird
Airman First Class

Post by FreeBird »

Now my 182 is showing the same behavior. You hit Ctl E and immediately both fuel tanks empty but no fuel leak .

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the added info guys. Have spent quite a bit of time testing various Accu-Sim aircraft today without being able to reproduce this issue. Actually, the main problem I've encountered is CTDs when using the UI to switch between aircraft etc.

Anyway, we'll continue to look into these reports over the next few days.

Best regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”