Hand Flying Level Flight ?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Hobart Escin

Re: Hand Flying Level Flight ?

Post by Hobart Escin »

Hi Scott,

Please keep us updated as to how you get along with this because, again, I'm experiencing the same thing. If you're having the same problem with level flight using Chaseplane as I have with Ezdok, I think we can at least rule both of those addons out inasmuch as causing some kind of interference. One thing I am seeing on my side though is a weird autopilot problem: When I engage altitude hold, the Bonanza pitches down violently, then finally settles down and holds level flight. When I disengage the autopilot, same thing happens. This has something to do with the joystick/yoke controller being out of synch with the pitch axis in the Bonanza sim. I don't really understand the process in detail, but Nick from A2A responded in another thread that he thought this was the culprit. I need to re-read that post and try to figure out is this problem relates to difficultly trimming up in level flight.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

In terms of pitch, it feels a bit sensitive, but it's ok. Completely manageable. But i do have to admit i do have some issues with roll. It doesn't like flying in a straight line. I think it's very sensitive to transversal weight imbalances like slightly different fuel loads, different weight passengers. Still, it's not overwhelming. You just have to keep on top of it.

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

cristi.neagu wrote:In terms of pitch, it feels a bit sensitive, but it's ok. Completely manageable. But i do have to admit i do have some issues with roll. It doesn't like flying in a straight line. I think it's very sensitive to transversal weight imbalances like slightly different fuel loads, different weight passengers. Still, it's not overwhelming. You just have to keep on top of it.
Scott, the original poster of this thread, used the analogy of the A2A Bonanza feeling like it was "balanced on the head of a pin" when trimming for level flight. That's pretty much what I'm experiencing too. There's just no real stability at all, and the real aircraft doesn't perform like this. Scott and I are both using different CH Products controllers (he a Fighterstick, me a yoke), so it may be an issue with the way CH controllers interact with A2A's flight logic.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Hobart Escin wrote:
cristi.neagu wrote:In terms of pitch, it feels a bit sensitive, but it's ok. Completely manageable. But i do have to admit i do have some issues with roll. It doesn't like flying in a straight line. I think it's very sensitive to transversal weight imbalances like slightly different fuel loads, different weight passengers. Still, it's not overwhelming. You just have to keep on top of it.
Scott, the original poster of this thread, used the analogy of the A2A Bonanza feeling like it was "balanced on the head of a pin" when trimming for level flight. That's pretty much what I'm experiencing too. There's just no real stability at all, and the real aircraft doesn't perform like this. Scott and I are both using different CH Products controllers (he a Fighterstick, me a yoke), so it may be an issue with the way CH controllers interact with A2A's flight logic.
I'm using a Warthog at the moment and I can't replicate these issues. I can level using the Hog then trim out the pressure to match pretty much what I'd be getting in the actual plane. It wanders a bit in pitch but that is normal.
Actually, real life level flight performed to an exact parameter such as maintaining altitude hiding the zero on an altimeter with the large altimeter needle is very difficult to do. I used to teach level flight using this exercise. It keeps the student quite busy trying to meet the parameter.
Dudley Henriques

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Hand Flying Level Flight ?

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the additional comments - appreciate it - and I will certainly follow up here with the results of additional testing...

I also noticed that on approach - it’s very easy to get into that cyclic runaway rolling 45 degrees right bank - left bank oscillations - ever increasing perpetual motion sensation - but I haven’t done any real testing with that yet... This imbalance is not something I’ve experienced in my 300-400 hours (low time) in about a dozen different aircraft types or my FS experience since monochrome monitors... The way it is now - on my machine - it’s pretty much impossible to fly for any length of time by hand...

Again falling back to the fact that my other A2A aircraft fly just fine in the very same setup...

Thankfully Hobart and Fastback have similar symptoms - LOL - I’m not alone... Others have reported similar on AvSim as well...

Won’t be home until the weekend for more testing...

Hi Dudley,

Does your experience with the aircraft mimic the posted video - honestly - it looked solid as a rock there... Have you tried flying a full instrument procedure without autopilot ? It’s relatively easy to do in the Comanche - next to impossible to meet PTS standards in the Bonanza...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimo
Airman First Class

Post by Kimo »

Have you tried the simulated elevator force slider in the lower left corner of the Shift-3 panel?
Set it to a higher value to get a less responsive elevator at speed.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Kimo,

Thanks for the response - actually no - was unaware of the setting - I’ll look for it during my next round of testing...

Regards,
Scott

DJJose
Airman

Post by DJJose »

I find that the latest version is an improvement, but I hope for even further tweaks to the FD. The plane still has an issue on initial lift off and power on & off stalls are still leading to possible spins. Steep turns to the right, put the ball of the inclinometer all the way to the left. That said it's still an awesome rendition of the V35B.

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

Since the last update, I'm able to rotate at 70knots softly and become airborne easy with no problem. Payload is pilot, copilot and 5kg of baggage.

craftsman
Senior Airman

Post by craftsman »

I have been busy on the property and not using the sim much lately. I had scott respond to a post of mine about the constant tail wagging. I have not used this aircraft because its computer demand until yesterday I found the mip-map update. Works just fine on the fps. THANKS. BUT..... I do NOT use Active sky. FSX sp1,sp2. I have CH products, Saitek, and Elite. I also have the TPM and the Trim. I have backup controls. NEW ONES if needed and I use them for testing. Yesterday I tried EVERYTHING to fly this airplane. It was like GOD was throwing it violently all over the sky?????????? I did everything in all the posts I could find. No go. Without it being in autopilot it was IMPOSSIBLE to fly it???? Just wanted to add this as ALL the A2a aircraft I have, which is ALL of them fly perfect. As you know flying the Military version of the P-51 is a challenge, BUT it works just fine. I used ez-dok and now have the track IR5 which I cannot do without. I bought this in December and have maybe 2 hours at the most on it. IF I ever figure this out I will definitely post it. Thanks

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

I too found this challenging to fly. However over the months I’ve learned I have better control by using flaps during takeoff. A little constant left rudder pressure during level flight with very light corrections. Sometimes though in windy conditions, I can find myself doing some dancing on the pedals. :D

Ron
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

I01
Staff Sergeant

Post by I01 »

I think easy hand flying is sometimes related to the computer on which the sim & aircraft are loaded on. Previously I've had the needle move up or down quite a bit during turns and straight flight, making me pay very close attention to what was happening, then a few weeks ago I purchased a new highish end computer and, over night, all the aircraft I use are stable in flight. The only difference from the past are, new computer hardware and P3D4.5. I'm still using the same old crappy MS stick, which, if anything, would not help. On a good day, when AS provides smooth conditions, I can fly with my fingers only on the stick, not needing to grasp it, as with my previous setups. My BO does not fly on tracks but it is pleasant to hand fly, which makes the sim so much more fun. 8)

Ian

janice
Airman First Class

Post by janice »

I came to read this thread because I was having all sorts of trouble with hand flying. After reading, I set all my controls in P3D v4 to the most sensitive with no null zone, and then used my flight surface controls very, very gently, just nudging them into the area where they have an effect, and lo and behold, perfect control!

Janice

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

scottb613 wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 06:26

Hi Dudley,

Does your experience with the aircraft mimic the posted video - honestly - it looked solid as a rock there... Have you tried flying a full instrument procedure without autopilot ? It’s relatively easy to do in the Comanche - next to impossible to meet PTS standards in the Bonanza...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott; I fly all my approaches manually or FD assisted in almost everything I fly in the sim including the Bo.
My experience with "smoothness" is that the variables involved (exact settings, weather, wind, controllers used and their settings, calibration etc), will differ so vastly per individual computer that nailing down a specific behavior for any aircraft that classifies as global is extremely difficult. In other words, the aircraft will probably behave slightly differently in every sim installation. The basics will be there but there will be slight differences in every computer.
That being said, naturally if the issue is pronounced that's not right for sure, but you should expect the Bo due to its different design to handle a bit differently on the ILS. I always found the Bo (real one) to have a tendency to "wander" a bit especially with a little wind in the equation. We modeled the A2A Bo pretty close to the real thing.
The best approach to your issue assuming its just slight wandering of the aircraft, is to fly it the exact way you would in the real plane, that means doing what's necessary to fly the approach. You will most likely discover you have to "work" the Bo on the ILS a bit more than other planes.
Keep in mind all this assumes nothing seriously out of whack with your Bo installation.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dudley Henriques

MadMac388th
Airman First Class

Post by MadMac388th »

I have flown with an owner of a V35B. He said, "Thank God for autopilot, because this thing is a bitch to fly by hand." I have been able to do it, both in his plane and the sim, but it does get exhausting over time.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”