The Bonanza's wandering nose

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Syzygy
Airman

The Bonanza's wandering nose

Post by Syzygy »

I realize the manual goes to great lengths to explain the V-tail's inherent disadvantages in directional stability, but I feel like this might be a bug. I've never flown a Bonanza in real life so please excuse me if this is just how it is. Upon takeoff, with even the slightest crosswind, my nose rapidly swings heavily to the left, by about 10 to 15 degrees. In addition, in turbulence, I get a lot of "wandering nose", drifting left and right. It seems the Bonanza has extremely poor directional stability.

Thoughts?

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Re: The Bonanza's wandering nose

Post by A-26Invader »

Try a higher rotation speed on take off. At 80 knots it has a drastic left yaw but at 90 knots or above it is less.

In flight the left to right yaw is part of the V-Tail characteristic. It just wanders haha. I don't mind it much when I am up front flying but in the back seat that is a whole different feeling and you can/will get sick after a long flight. At least for me that is!
ImageImageImage

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Syzygy wrote:I realize the manual goes to great lengths to explain the V-tail's inherent disadvantages in directional stability, but I feel like this might be a bug. I've never flown a Bonanza in real life so please excuse me if this is just how it is. Upon takeoff, with even the slightest crosswind, my nose rapidly swings heavily to the left, by about 10 to 15 degrees. In addition, in turbulence, I get a lot of "wandering nose", drifting left and right. It seems the Bonanza has extremely poor directional stability.

Thoughts?
The Bo has a "heavy feel" like the 182 in that respect. The nose will wander a bit if your rotation speed is too low. Remember, takeoff speed is dictated by gross weight. The heavier you are the higher will be your rotation speed. For most loads I always found around 80 to be about where the Bo wants to fly. Rotate "easy" on the pitch. The more aggressive you are the more aggressive the response as you are exacerbating the P Factor and the Gyro Precession as the prop disk rotates. Again, you don't have the pure vertical tail back there helping you with these forces. The Bo handles them well but not as effectively and quickly as a straight tail aircraft. It's ok to allow a bit of wandering. Just keep busy on the controls.
The Bo doesn't like lazy pilots. LOL
Dudley Henriques

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:The Bo doesn't like lazy pilots. LOL
That is the easiest way to explain piloting this plane. I get lazy with other aircraft, and you simply cannot do that with the V-Tail. Such a joy to fly it properly. Would love to do so in the real world one day.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Chunk wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:The Bo doesn't like lazy pilots. LOL
That is the easiest way to explain piloting this plane. I get lazy with other aircraft, and you simply cannot do that with the V-Tail. Such a joy to fly it properly. Would love to do so in the real world one day.
The Bo is a great aircraft.We had one on leaseback I flew for Charter. Once you got used to the Bo's idiosyncratic ( this is a commercial pilot word :-)) behavior, it was an absolute pleasure to fly.
I'm as we speak flying our A2A release in FSX and I'm very impressed with the work done on the flight model.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”